Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on March 4, 2002
Great design by Stanley so you don't have to take it apart to change blades. The little storage area for blades is neat too.
The blade change isn't totally intuitive so it would help if they put something like this on their packaging: "Push down black retractable blade button and push all the way forward past the detent so the button stays pushed down. Then push in the silver side button and pull blade out."
Only reason I gave it 4 stars is that I used it to cut some ceiling tile and rubbed off a big section of paint on the handle near the blade; they should have nickel or chrome plated that section instead of painting it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2010
I am so glad to see other reviewers had problems figuring out how to change the blades. It has literally taken me 30 minutes to get the blade in, and I really thought I had just somehow gotten a broken one. Now that the blade is in, I don't have any idea how I got it there. Very frustrating as "using a knife" didn't bring to mind ideas of spending half an hour getting it ready before I could even start. Come on Stanley, put some directions on this thing. If you've got some time to figure out this Indiana Jones-esque device, go ahead and save a couple dollars. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more and get something easier to use.

edit as of 4/4/2011 - I put a video on here because I finally had time to make putting the blade in a project on its own. The quality isn't that great, but it's solid information and gives you a realistic idea of what changing blades is like. Once that blade is in, I have no complaints.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2003
This is a very nice knife.
As was mentioned it is sometimes difficult to change the blade, you need to make sure push the blade ALL the way out and then press the blade release button. The spare blade holder is nice and big, I have about 5-6 blades there. The string cutter doesn't seem to work all that well, so I ususaly just use ther enitre blade to cut string.
on July 29, 2012
For such a simple procedure this was one of the most frustrating things I have EVER had to learn in my life. If manufacturers would devote just 1/10 the effort providing instructions as they do in developing packaging that requires an athlete to open, it would never have been frustrating at all. I consider myself a pretty intelligent individual; but it took me HOURS to learn how to properly install a blade in this sucker. (I had not watched the video at that time; and to be honest, I'm not sure why the guy who produced the video had so much trouble getting it in once he understood the process.) Once I understood what to do, I have taken the blade in and out repeatedly in a few seconds each time; but getting there the first time can be mind boggling. I did somehow get the blade in the first time; but all I had was a little nub of a blade to cut with. Once I understood the process and got the blade out and back in, I had a fully functioning utility knife.

Three steps:
1) Push the slider all the way to the third click and then hold down and push once more until it locks into the down position.
2) THEN ... and only then ... push the yellow rounded button until you see the tiny guide come out a little bit.
3) Carefully insert the blade until you feel it pop into the first position and let go of the little yellow rounded button. That's it. You get three blade positions ... very short, medium and fully extended.

It's a snap once you get the hang of it; and the extra blade storage unit on the bottom is easy to work.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2002
This is an excellent knife, I have owned more than 20 in my career. (there must be many homeowners who own them now because of my absent mindedness) I would only say there is one knife better than this. It would be the Craftsmen knife of the same design because the Craftsmen is made of aluminum and weighs less and has a sleeker feel. If you can't get to Sears this knife is the next of kin.
on April 17, 2009
I also had the same problems that most people seem to have changing the blades. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating! Then my husband showed me how to change the blade without taking the tool apart at all (I should have read the instructions???). This is super easy once you catch on, and the knife works great! I use it at work every day for all kinds of jobs, and I wouldn't go back to a different one.
on July 13, 2001
I have one of these Stanley Sheetrock knives, and I love the thing. It is so much easier to use thatn the old ones you have to take apart, and the really great part is the blade storage area. Granted the clip for the blade storage is prone to break, but usally only if you drop it off a ladder. I've had mine for about nine months now and it still works like a charm. The only real drawback with the knife is that when you are cutting insulation, the little rope cutter will grab the insulation and rip it while you're cutting, but, for my money that's a small price to pay for all the help it is. It would be nice if Stanley would put one on the market that doesn't have that rope cutter.
on September 4, 2000
This is a very good knife, it makes your job a lot easier, you don't have to open the knife to replace the blade, all you have to do is pull the old one out and put the new one in. It is sometimes kind of tricky to do, this is why I'm giving it a four out of five, otherwise a great reliable tool by Stanley.
on May 14, 2015
Let me preface by saying I build things. I worked two years of residential construction, I am now working towards a degree in mechanical engineering, and even as a 5 year old kid, I would design things out of wood and metal. I have found that I am a bit more intuitive than most; the way things work just makes sense to me. I also have a man's size large hand, if you wonder how yours compares.
That being said, it boggles my mind that it takes some of these reviewers so long to figure out how to change the blade. If you are having that much trouble, perhaps you should not be using it, as you'll probably hurt yourself.
I have tried a dozen or so and commonly used a few different models of utility knives. This one is clean and simple. It does not have that extra grippy rubber exterior which just makes pulling it out of your pocket a hassle, nor does it have a convoluted grip; it is easy to hold and use. The one button you need, the retracting mechanism, is right where you want it, while the other buttons, for quick changing blades and for storing extras, are not in the way, but still very easy to use.
It is so nice being able to flip a blade over in 3 seconds when one end gets dull, or to be able to switch between a sharp and dull blade on the fly depending on what you need. So nice to be able to carry a variety of blade types so you are prepared no matter what you run into. The mechanism accepts all standard razor blades, though I have only used three types myself (straight and two types of hooked blades). I have never had a utility knife wear out, just the blade. When I left construction and started my own tool collection, this was the first thing I bought.
Having worked on projects ranging from intricate plastic scale models to three story mansions, I have come to regard the utility knife as the second most useful tool there is, only being bested by a hammer, and this is the best utility knife you can get. Especially if you prefer the old straight feel to the new convoluted and grippy models.
on June 11, 2013
A bit of a pain to install the blades (comes with 3 blades), but once in, the knife does its job well. The blade feels longer in this knife than some other ones I've used before. I used this one to cut up old carpets and carpet padding and it sliced through them like butter. When cutting, your thumb might sometimes hit the blade trigger, which is somewhat annoying, because it makes the blade loose. Otherwise though, if you're not gonna be using this day in and day out, but need it occasionally, this knife will do the job just fine!

See 1 answered question