Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on December 31, 1998
Few remakes do justice to the original classic and even fewer improve on it. This one does both. Mara Wilson is wonderful and gives a once in a lifetime performance. In an effort to put a twist on the original they changed the scene where Santa speaks a foreign language to a child come to sit on his lap and instead he uses sign language to speak to a hearing impaired child. The result is a very touching scene. John Hughes has done it again!
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2000
I love that this remake didn't sell out very much, and put in too much modern stuff. It is very successful in keeping a "traditional" feel, with only a few exceptions. Mara Wilson is absolutely delightful and classic in her performance, and I really like Elizabeth Perkins' reproduction of the original role. And Dylan McDermott, whom I typically find very flat and dull, is sweet and charming as the sincere bachelor attorney with an eye for Perkins.
Richard Attenborough is amazing as Santa, at least as good as the formidable original. The scene in the original featuring Santa visiting with the Dutch war refugee girl is replaced in this remake with Santa visiting with a little deaf girl. The scene in the original is about as sweet as any scene in any movie ever, and the remake is even sweeter! The deaf girl's face, when Santa talks to her in sign language, is absolutely worth the price of this DVD.
The only real weakness for me was the John DeLancie and Jane Leeves part of the movie, as two "evil" agents for the "enemy" department store (where all the upper management wears all black). They reminded me of Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern from "Home Alone" -- sort of bumbling bad guys in a bad cartoon sort of way.
So all in all, I really think that this version is as good or better than the original, which is simply too dated in a few respects for me to be able to enjoy unconditionally. I think both of them are definitely worth owning.
on December 3, 2003
Let me say two things.
1. I love old movies.
2. I mistrust remakes.
However, I loved this remake. It has become a regular part of our Christmas for the past 10 years. My wife loves it and I do as well. Get it now!!
on October 7, 2005
I love the original Miracle on 34th Street movie and this remake has it's moments and has a very good cast, Richard Attenborough, Dylan McDermott, Elizabeth Perkins and Mara Wilson but it can't hold a candle to the original black and white version and lacks the warmth of that old classic. The actors were fine, it was the atmosphere of the movie that I found kind of cold and lacking of charm compared to the original version!
on March 3, 2016
I've seen Miracle on 34th Street with Richard Attenborough many times but couldn't resist replacing my old VHS tape with a new DVD. This movie is a must at Christmas with the whole family watching. The acting is great and it shows great Christmas spirit. I'd recommend it any time. So don't forget to buy it, but be sure to get out that large bag of buttery popcorn first. You won't want to get up in the middle of the picture for a snack.
on January 6, 2014
While the 1940s version with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood is considered the classic version, this is one of those rare instances where I much prefer the newer version! Mara Wilson as Susan is precocious, but endearing, whereas I find Natalie Wood to be somewhat annoying in the original version. Elizabeth Perkins, Richard Attenborough and Dylan McDermott all are wonderful in their roles. This is a wonderfully uplifting tale that is a "must see" for me every holiday season!
on December 12, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by this remake. I've been thinking about getting it for the last several Christmas seasons, but I'd heard so many negative things about it that I never bothered. So this year I finally picked it up and I'm happy to say it's a lot better than I expected. They made a few changes in the story, some were nice - like when Santa uses sign language to speak to a deaf girl (in the original, Santa spoke to a little Dutch girl in her native language). I was saddened that the character of Alfred was removed from the story, as well as Mr. Sawyer, the nervous in-store "psychiatrist". And the ending, well they should have just left the ending from the original movie alone - it was a great way to wrap up the court case and it made sense. The way they chose to decide the courtroom battle in the remake is nowhere near as dramatic. All in all though, it is a decent remake even though it has it's flaws it does at times manage to recapture some of the magic of the original movie.
on December 28, 2014
Having grown up with both the original film and this remake, I don't really have a preference as I am able to enjoy them both. I will say that both of them have their own strengths and, if I'm being picky, this remake has a slight advantage over the original.

Again, the original is a classic and will forever remain immortal. But, if I was to say what advantage this remake had over the original, in my opinion, it would be the remake is a little more whimsicle. This version of the story has a stronger visual language and has a stronger feeling of the magical aspects and presents it so in a way that is still, for lack of a better word, ambiguous.

This film touches upon the notions of curiosity, faith, ambiguity and taking risks in life a bit better in my opinion. The scene in which Kris Kringle gives his monologue about what he, as Santa Claus, really represents is my favorite part of the film.

So, while I still say that both this version and the original version are equally enjoyable and equally well made, I personally say that this version handles the mystery and magical presence of the Santa Claus mythology a little better.

Enjoy.
on December 11, 2014
I guess this is an ok movie...I must admit I bought it by mistake thinking it was the original and found out after getting it that it was a remake...not the movies fault at all but mine for not reading better. The movie itself was ok but I still prefer the original movie over this one didn't take lone to order it after reading carefully to be sure I got the right one that time.
on December 24, 2013
Overall I like this remake of the b&w Edmund Gwynn classic. The main thing I don't like is how they made Santa out to have a violent nature. In the classic, Santa pops the psychologist over the head once and it comes across as comedic. In this film, they seem to want Santa to come across as a darker, serial cane popper. I just don't like that depiction of Santa's personality. I also prefer the ending to the court trial in the classic version (which I won't give away here - though everyone already knows how it ends anyway). Mara Wilson is incredibly cute and precocious in this version and all of the actors do a good job. We watch it every December and now, with the purchase of this dvd to replace out aged and fuzzy VHS version, it will be even more enjoyable.