Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Size: Souper/X-LargeChange

on January 5, 2007
I orginally found this product after complaining to Nylabone. I had bought one of their 'Pit Bull Tested' toys - some knobby thing - for my half pit bull mutt. He enjoyed the knobby thing but it was in tiny bits in under 5 minutes. I pulled the package out of the trash and emailed nylabone with a complaint. Much to my surprise they responded the next day and sent me the Galileo Souper bone at no charge. My dog loved it. Nylabone later paid my dog $25 to test a new and improved 'knobby' product but it didn't last either. However the Galileos are great and we keep buying them. We get about 9-12 mos out of each one before they get down to plum size. They keep his teeth nice and clean too. The floor does tend to vibrate when he grasps it with his paws and start gnawing (wood floor over a crawl space) which is a little odd but does impress visitors :-)
0Comment105 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2007
We have a half Rottweiler that is a very tough chewer. When he was a pup he destroyed nearly every toy we tried to give him. I was concerned that he would swallow something he shouldn't, so we had to take away the toys. Then we found the Galileo Nylabone and the black Kong toys. These were a blessing, as no matter how hard he would try, he couldn't tear them up. The Galileo Nylabone is designed so that it just comes off in little shreds - nothing big to swallow. Our Rotty has been chewing them for nearly 10 years, and still likes them. He gets excited when we give him a new one.
0Comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2014
Although this toy is advertised for powerful chewers, you should be aware, my dog fractured his molar from chewing on this toy.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2006
We've had dogs that wouldn't have a thing to do with Nylabones, but what works great is early training. Start the puppy out on the puppy nylabones. Follow instructions and help the pup's interest level by smearing some peanut butter on it, and so on.

The first time we saw a Galileo Bone, we were mystified, but the sales clerk said he had one and it lasted years! And guess what? It did! Our dog is over 8 years old now, and has two Galileo's. He doesn't chew on them constantly, but whenever he feels like it. It helps keep his molars free of tartar and satisfies his craving to chew.

One of the bone's 3 tips was getting chewed waaaay close to the stump and finally broke off. According to instructions, that's the time to retire it and get a new one.

I've paid over $20 each for these and feel they were worth it at that price. Now they are almost half that. Good deal.

Natural (real) bones are dangerous and rawhide chews can get stuck in the throat, swell in the stomach and even cause bowel impaction. Don't use them. If you insist, supervise the dog so you can assist if the above problems happen. It has happened to us.

But use Nylabones and don't worry about it! It may take some training at first, maybe not. If it does, it's worth it.
0Comment38 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2013
Our lab carries around sticks, rocks, you name it wherever she goes. This particular style of Nylabone is exceptional because of the design. There are two ridges that fit their incisors perfectly so they can carry it around without worrying it will slip out and break my foot if she drops it!~ Also, even though not flavored, she likes to work on it slowly, which means for the money it will last a long time. We've spent a lot on the other types of designs and she liked them but they were either to destructible or too heavy for her to walk around with for any amount of time. For whatever reason, it seems to calm her to carry a bone around and this is the best designed, tough and perfect size for a large dog. She says THANK YOU:)
review image review image
on November 8, 2006
My dog loved this bone, but within 1 week he had 3 broken teeth, on had to be surgically removed. He had excellent dental care his entire life, strong teeth and loved chewing on bones. This items not worth the hundreds it has cost in vet bills for emergency surgery.

Nylabone after reviewing my vet's information told us that the bone we purchased was not hard enough for my dog. Even though he was within the weight recomendations and in excellent health before the bone, Nylabone refused to even apologize for the pain they caused.
22 comments21 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2014
Did my giant 14 month old English Lab love this bone? YES! Why 2 stars then??? Because 2 stars because she loved it and 3 MISSING stars because it is (1) easily destroyed, (2) HEAVY which leads to #3...(3) this heavy damaged bone can be kicked or dropped on your foot by your retrieving dog...and CUT your foot. my husband kicked it and lost part of a toenail! We will NOT be buying it again. It was a waste of money for something that took her 10 minutes to destroy. We supervised her use and now we are throwing it away. It is extremely rough (like hard Tupperware that was in a tornado with knives and has pointy sharp edges and grooves). I am still hunting for that ultimate chew toy for our power chewer (who is supervised with all toys due to her skills with her jaws.
review image review image review image
on November 23, 2012
I have a large, very aggressive chewer (chocolate lab). I've had pretty good luck with two other nylabone products, but they were a bit small and I figured it was time to bring out the big gun. With all these bones I believe it's time to retire them when small chunks start coming off of them; this bone did not last long before this started happening. By contrast the other nylabones lasted much longer, but based on price and advertised qualities it should have been the other way around.

So this was a lot of money for a product that lasted less than a month. The search continues but I'll be looking at products made by other companies a bit harder now. I regret not buying this locally as I would have marched back into the store with this bone.
0Comment17 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2010
Bought this for our Pit/Lab mix and it actually lasts! We have tried MANY, MANY bones and toys and none of them last for more than 5 minutes. Great bone but I must warn buyers that with any plastic bone, the edges can get very pointy & rough so be careful and keep it off anything you do not want scratched!
on August 24, 2007
First Impression: Man it was time for a new Nylabone. Mom and Dad bought me my first two almost 5 months ago! They were looking a little nasty, but I still loved them. The kind folks over at Nylabone sent me a gift box and I got to try out this new monster of a chew bone. Now it is shaped a little weird, but I like it none the less. Every time Mom and Dad eat lunch or dinner I lay down and chew on a Nylabone. It keeps me entertained while they eat that amazing smelling human food... I just close my eyes and pretend.

Conclusion: Great chew bone! Lasts a very long time. Not sure what could be improved.
0Comment13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse