Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on June 8, 2009
I have owned an A.T. Cross set since 1966 and it has served wonderfully. I had a small problem with the old style pencil works a couple decades ago, but Cross honored their lifetime warranty and replaced the thick-lead innards with the new style 0.5 mm works. BTW, Amazon incorrectly says the pencil uses .05 mm leads; it actually uses 0.5 mm.

I would have awarded a perfect 5 stars except that A.T. Cross has sent their manufacturing (at least part of it) to China. This icon of American quality should stay here. I for one would have paid more for the set. When I buy Cross, it is for special gifts and the "Made in China" label diminishes the image of the gift regardless of whether or not the quality and guarantee are as good as ever.
on December 4, 2012
I had a Cross pen & pencil set back in the day, so I remember the quality from the past. I was excited to receive my new set, but not anymore. I'm returning this idem for refund. This pen & pencil set is not worth the money. This is a cheap replica of what Cross use to be. Must be made in China, need I say more? I give it one star for good shipping only.
on January 14, 2015
There have been complaints that these pens aren't the same quality as they used to be because they're made in China, not the USA, as they used to be. First of all, the barrels of the gold-filled models are made in the United States (look carefully). I have not had any trouble getting the caps to screw back on tight if I needed to remove one; but since I hate that tiny little eraser that typically comes with a pen & pencil set like this, I usually carry around a larger one. They do not feel "light like plastic" as one reviewer put it. I never had an old Cross set made in the USA entirely, so I cannot judge the difference, but I do not see anything wrong with these pens. Probably the biggest difference is that they have gone from a 0.5mm to a 0.7mm pencil, hence the yellow thing that screws in for the leads & erasers. They came in a nice box; cardboard, but very thick, and with a ribbon handle on it, covered in protective plastic, with elastic bands to hold them down (like most nice pens come).

I've had the set for about two weeks and so far, no problems. Oh, and I might add, unlike most of the other pen companies (Parker, Sheaffer, etc.) they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. So if something does go wrong you can mail it to the exact same address where they've always been headquartered, in Rhode Island (which isn't a province of the People's Republic of China in case you were wondering).
on May 27, 2013
If these are really Cross pens, they are not up to the standard I remember for Cross. I have used cross pens since the sixties... But the last set I bought was 15 years or more ago. This gold set fells like plastic... Not really a nice gold color
Like I remember. The edges are sharp at the joints. Just does not feel like a hundred dollar writing instrument.
on August 27, 2012
I owned an original of this Cross pen and pencil set since 1986 until this year but after 25 years of daily use managed to lose them within a week of each other. I ordered a replacement this August, 2012, in the hope that the reported bad quality since the shift of production to China could be something I could live with. A big mistake...

Unfortunately the quality is awful and I have returned them. The pencil mechanism has changed yet again (I had my original pencil repaired and the 'innards' were changed from the 0.8mm to the then 0.5mm 'new' one) and the characteristics of the pencil have completely changed. You wouldn't want to open the pencil to use the now tiny eraser and to expose the cheap plastic mechanism.

The pen doesn't feel as well constructed and the refill end protrudes too far out compared to my original. Also both the pen and pencil have the same top, with the gold 'blob' on the end, whereas only one should have it so you can tell them apart easily.

If I could find an original set I would be happy to buy it but will certainly make sure I handle them first.
on July 22, 2015
You will never own a finer writing instrument than those produced by A.T. Cross. I have owned my set since 1978 when it was awarded to me by a distribution manager with Hesston Corporation. The gold is embedded into the metal of the pen. It will always be gold. It will not chip or fade in any way. The warranty service by A.T. Cross is absolutely the best. It says it is ''unquestionably' warranted against mechanical failure regardless of age' and here is why it impresses me. I was in Jamestown, New York, on business a couple of years after I received the pens. I ALWAYS carried them because they are a true sign of professionalism. At the end of the day, I went to my rental car only to find it had been turned to an ice cube due to a freezing rain event. As there were no 'cell phones' then, and no phone booths nearby, I took my Cross mechanical pencil out and literally chipped the ice away until I could open the car door. Unfortunately, the tip of the pencil was ruined, well beyond repair. As the set was a sentimental keepsake, I wrote to Cross to find out if they could repair it and the cost. They responded that I should forward the pen to their address and they would try to save it. Unfortunately, they could not. They did, however, send me a brand new mechanical pencil at absolutely no cost.... even though they knew it was damaged by my abuse. Now, go ahead. Tell me about how good your pen is.....
review image
on December 16, 2013
What a pitty that Cross has given up on the quality of its products. It used to be one of the best brands around. Selling with the same looks, at the same price, a product now made with crap component has never been a way for a luxury brand to survive. Even the writing experience has nothing to do with what it used to be. Too bad
on March 18, 2015
Ah, yes! My new pen/pencil set arrived today. I'm over 65 and I've owned (and lost) many sets over the years, but during the past 15 or 20 years I haven't given them much thought. Then, a few days ago while ordering some other merchandise, I said, "What the hell." and bought a set. Purely on impulse. When they arrived, I showed them to a few younger friends around the office and they were impressed. Some of the guys are into big watches the size of hubcaps. Well, I gave in and bought one of those things about two years ago, a Seiko Sumo with a sapphire dome, after-market hands, and a silicone diving band with a deployant clasp. You can read a newspaper by the lume on the dial. But what I'm really proud of at the moment are my new, bright, sweet, Cross pen and pencil. By the way, they were delivered very quickly and they feel and write beautifully!
on November 4, 2015
I like the cross pens very much & using since last so many years for personal & gifts use. Unfortunately this time with in a week it stated getting rust though it is an expensive 10 carat gold pen. So I returned. Before I never have such experience. I think it is quality problem & lake of testing the product. Finally I returned.
on December 26, 2014
I love this pen. I have a set of Cross Classic made in 70th and it's true they are heavier and the "feeling" is a bit different. However, I really like this "new" set too. The writing is soft and the design is classic and nice.