Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Color: 10KT Gold Filled|Style Name: Ballpoint Pen and Pencil Set|Change

on February 20, 2007
Before you buy, be sure to check where the pen was made. I have a number of older Cross pens that say "USA" near the top, and they are great pens. However, I have bought three different ones in the past few years that do not indicate where they were made, and they are of inferior quality. The top and bottom halves are loose, and have to be carefully manipulated to come together without a gap. The first one I got, I sent it back to Cross for warranty repair under their "lifetime guarantee," only to receive it back unchanged telling me that it was just fine - and a "handling fee" attached.

I was willing to believe it was simply an anomaly, one bad pen. So later on when some new colors came out, I bought two more - only to see that they have the same quality defect.

My advice: if you want a good Cross pen, go to the secondhand store and buy one that was made in USA. They aren't making them the same anymore.
1313 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
I tried to like it, I really did. I thought other reviews were exaggerated because the pens aren't manufactured in the US anymore. But as soon as I held the pens in my hand they felt like plastic! The quality is not there anymore (I guess it's been this way from the time they started manufacturing the pens in china!
The pens don't have the same sturdiness and feel like they used to. The weight they used to have is also not there anymore. Cross should be ashamed. This isn't an American product anymore but a low quality cheap Chinese one. Congratulations Cross.
on February 20, 2007

55 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2006
I have been using Cross product for lat 15 years. This product which is Made in China, has highly disappointed me. The finish of the pen is very poor. Gold plating is of a poor quality. It has some patches of a different color. The body has sharp edges.

Overall it has spoilt my impression about Cross products.

Regards

R.P. Kale
on March 22, 2007
Just received my pen today. Feels cheap compared to one I got 12 years ago. Feels a little gritty when you twist it. Not smooth and well machined like my old one.
I won't be buying one again. Crossing "CROSS" off my list.

Update. The Pen got much smoother after about a month and I have been using it for a couple of years now.
I gave it two more stars that did at first.
Guess the finishing is not as good as it once was but did get smoother over time.
on January 9, 2007
I'm not sure if I just received a defective pen or what happened. My general experience with Cross pens has been very positive. This one, however, is awful. It doesn't write smootly and leaves ink everywhere.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2010
The manufacturer is distributing a different pen/pencil set than the one illustrated and described. Cosmetically the pens are a flat black -- could be mistaken for grey; but more importantly the "pencil" is not the typical cross .05mm pencil. It is a pen/pencil combo -- you can put either an ink cartridge in it (for 2 pens, who knows why) or a special .07mm lead cartridge -- not individual leads, but a self contained cartridge physically similar to an ink cartrdige -- to use it as a pencil. Of course, you can't tell them apart when you pull one out of your pocket. One has to twist it and see what comes out - the pen or the pencil (or other pen if you go that way).

This happened to me at another large retailer (large web, lots of physical stores) so it looks like Cross is doing a number on people. Major, major disappointment.

Good luck!
on July 14, 2011
I thoroughly agree with D.S. Bornus. I have a collection of Cross pens, most dating from the 1960's and 1970's They are wonderful, smooth, balanced and a real joy to write with. I wanted another to carry with me, (my earlier collection stays at home). I ordered a later model Cross classic 2502 on E- baymuch and much to my chagrin the barrel had some slippage at the end of its' travel both ways. And yet this one was made in the USA which means it was made prior to 2007 when unfortunately Cross shipped their production to China. I then purchase a brand new one from Staples and was extremely disappointed at the fall from grace of the Rhode Island based Co,once manufacturer of very fine pens. The China version is anything but a true Cross pen of old. The balance is off. The taper at the point is broader and far from the slim look of the USA models. The graphic CROSS logo is much less sophisticated, in bold and deep type. And yes, the barrel slips noticeably. Richard and Alonzo Cross would be horrified at what the Boss family has done to their reputation. The early Cross pens if you can find them are the best. Even the later USA models are not made to the crucial standards that were once assured by A.T. Cross. I lament the loss of that once respected Lincoln, Rhode Island manufacturer.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

VINE VOICEon January 24, 2007
I have decided that a good writing instrument in the pocket is the cost of doing business in my line of work. This lightweight, thin Cross pen helps me not look back.

The black satin finish is very nice, the writing quality is good for an entry-level fine pen, and the gold appointments complement clothing in the earth color range.

I ruin about a shirt per year via ink leaks. This pen is not going to do that.

A very handsome, economical, solid-value product from Cross.