Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on November 10, 2010
The manufacturer is distributing a different pen/pencil set than the one illustrated and described. Cosmetically the pens are a flat black -- could be mistaken for grey; but more importantly the "pencil" is not the typical cross .05mm pencil. It is a pen/pencil combo -- you can put either an ink cartridge in it (for 2 pens, who knows why) or a special .07mm lead cartridge -- not individual leads, but a self contained cartridge physically similar to an ink cartrdige -- to use it as a pencil. Of course, you can't tell them apart when you pull one out of your pocket. One has to twist it and see what comes out - the pen or the pencil (or other pen if you go that way).

This happened to me at another large retailer (large web, lots of physical stores) so it looks like Cross is doing a number on people. Major, major disappointment.

Good luck!
on January 29, 2012
The Classic Centry set in this advertisement is not as represented. Specifically, the pencil is not the 5mm mechanical pencil as shown, but some odd sort of 7mm thing called "SwitchpIt", which allows a pen to be coverted to a pencil. When I received it I assumed that the set was mis-packaged.

Gross misrepresentation. Do not buy this unless you really want a pencil that looks like a pen with a previously unknown sort of inserts. Oh, and try buying erasers......
on August 9, 2012
Bought five sets to give as gifts and am a little disappointed. The pens / pencils kind of look cheap and the quality of the packaging is not what it used to be, even a few years ago. This is definitely not the presentation quality I remember or was hoping for. Another great brand becomes mediocre chinese crap.
on November 22, 2010
I've loved having a Cross pen and pencil set for many years. My 13 yr old son always liked the feel of them and I just bought him a Classic Century set. Right out of the box, the pencil won't advance the lead. Oddly, my husband was given a similar set a few months ago by his employer and it had the exact same problem, right out of the box. I was about to pay the $10 to have the first one replaced by Cross, but now I'm suspicious of the brand not being worth anything anymore. Any suggestions?
on April 27, 2011
As other reviewers have noted, Cross has switched the pencil in this set from their classic 0.5 mm to a new 0.7 mm model, but for some mysterious reason, they have kept the old model number, which causes a lot of confusion. I wanted the 0.5 mm, not an 0.7, so I requested a refund. Amazon was very obliging. So this negative review applies only to Cross's incorrect information, not to Amazon as a merchant.
on December 23, 2013
Hmmm, How to say this, I have own the 0.5mm pencil for years, the time for replacement came and I wanted it back, after some research, checking the Cross main website, I noticed certain irregularities as a result of a change in the mechanism and other characteristics as being 0.7mm one of them. Having known that, I wanted to find the 0.5mm that I had, I found this sale from Shoplet, with the image of the 0.5mm pencil, the delivered product is for 0.7mm, with a black dot at the top of it, as the Pen from the previous version.... The pencil didn't have such dot in the past... Recomendation, if you want to buy the 0.5mm like me, keep searching or give up already... If you don't mind all this about the previous Cross and the New Cross designed in USA but made in China, then buy a plastic Pen and Pencil Set, you might get a better product...

But overall, Cross have thrown out of the window the quality which had gained through years.... A shame...
on January 15, 2008
I've been using Cross products since a long time ago, even when I've had a set of Montblanc Pen and Mechanic Pencils, and as a gift for Xmas season, it was a very good choice. Affordable and good quality writing device.
on November 1, 2015
I have used cross pens and pencils almost exclusively since high school and enjoy the durability and weight of them. Highly recommended especially in this classic black and gold style. I also prefer the thin style of these classic style, but cross now makes many other colors and styles to appeal to everyone's taste, and the lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.
on December 1, 2013
Like others, I have discovered the hard way that Cross pens' implementation of a .7 lead cartridge has really reduced the satisfaction with their mechanical pencils. The lead sleeve doesn't fully protrude which leaves an odd looking front end when loaded. Doesn't feel as solid a grip as the earlier .5 pencils. I was happy to hear they have a .7, but not with the quality--very disappointing. I'm sad that Cross quality seems to be diminishing, was always a great American company. I read somewhere that they are manufacturing overseas now, too, not in RI anymore...sorry to hear that, if it is true.
on January 2, 2013
Good looking and well made pen/pencil. Not very comfortable when writing for an extended period. I have tried both a fine and medium tip ink and both are not smooth when writing, similar to a standard BIC pen. I have found the Parker Jotter as a good lost cost alternative to this pen. Also, look to switch out the ink for another as the best part of this pen is the barrel.