Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Item Package Quantity: 1Change

on January 7, 2015
It definitely feels cheap when you get it, and maybe like you could break the thing with your big heavy axe one first use. I purchased this sharpener mainly for the fiskars axe and hatchet that I currently own - because, well - fiskars axe, fiskars sharpener. Must work well together, right? Made perfect sense. My axe was quite dull after a year's worth of use without sharpening. Honestly after the first session with this thing, I didn't think that my fingers would be in any danger if touching the blade to check for sharpness. I was wrong, as you can see from the photo. I can say with confidence, at least for fiskars axes and hatchets, that this sharpener definitely works. My tools are sharper than when I bought them, and back to cutting through wood like butter, and umm... my skin like water?
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2006
eh? You seriously think I'm going to use the same thing to sharpen the Henckels 4 star knives I use to prepare family meals AND the axes I use to chop wood?

Seriously. This sharpener will reset just about any blunted knife or axe to a finely honed edge.

It does just a good a job on a fine filleting knife as it does on my favorte chopping axe - I just have to remember to clean it before I switch uses.

Now if only they made a lawnmower that could julienne vegetables....
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2009
This is a handy tool that really simplifies sharpening. However, it has a few flaws.

-Very Easy

-Hand Guard

-Lifetime Guarentee

-Sharpens at 30 degree angle. Great for an axe, but for a knife, most people prefer a 20 or even a 10.

-Leaves black dust on the edge of cutlery

-Ok heres the big one: When sharpening, you press the axe into the sharpener and pull through the wheel. However, as you pull your axe out, it slices through the plastic in front of the wheel, there for somewhat dulling the axe. And sooner or later, you get deep cuts in the plastic, which really limits the sharpener's usefulness. Major design flaw.

Overall, the sharpener is great for axes, but for knives I tend to go back to the whetstone. And then there's the design flaw...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2006
I bought my first Fiskar sharpener from the owner of MAC knives. He told me that this was all I needed as a professional chef to keep my knives sharp and in top shape as to angle, knicks, ect.... He was right. Don't pass this up. You really do not need anything else. No kidding and just $12.00. Chef Mark
on November 1, 2010
This is a very basic but extremely well functioning axe sharpener.

To address one common complaint: Yes, it cuts the plastic to either side of the "cutting" wheel. So what? The plastic will groove over time and it will stop doing that.

When I first took my Fiskar's to it, I had recently completed chopping about 1 cord of hardwood (axe, ironwood, maple). The blade had numerous dents in its edge and was fairly beat up, though still sharp overall.

After about 20 passes (1-2 minutes) back and forth through this sharpener, the edge had no dent and appeared quite sharp. Cut very well.

This may not make the best knife sharpener or be suitable for things with a bigger wedge before the edge, but it's a great sharpener for the fiskars axe!
on November 24, 2009
You use a back and forth motion to sharpen the hatchet or ax, not a pull through.

I used a very dull hatchet that's used to split kindling wood, mainly 2x4 pieces.

It takes a lot, I mean, a lot of back and forth pulls but, you know what, my little hatchet started to develop an edge and was getting sharp.

I'll get back to it when I need to split more kindling and run the hatchet through a couple of dozen more times.

The more you run your az et al through the sharpener, the more it works for you. No need to worry about shaving off too much metal from a hatchet.

I would not use this sharpened for my kitchen knives, though. But I would use it for a cheap camping or outdoor knife that would get sharp with a crude edge.
on September 3, 2009
Great for axes and for a cheap knife but nearly ruined a benchmade. I got the benchmade back by buying a wusthof sharpener that brought it back to shaving sharpness. I love it for axes and other big blades that have a lot of cheap steel to chip away at but I wouldn't use this for a good knife.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2013
This sharpener did absolutely nothing except fall apart. After a few minutes of trying to sharpen one knife the sharpener flew apart. The knife was as dull as it was when I started.
on June 19, 2012
I purchased this sharpener with my Fiskars Log splitter. The maul was a little dull when I first got it. I ran it thru this sharpener 4 or 5 times and it was very sharp! would cut paper. This is a must have for anyone with an axe to grind!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is Fiskars' own 'official' sharpener. It's designed specifically for Fiskars axes and hatchets, which utilize a very uniquely designed blade which is different (and comes to a much sharper point at the edge) from most other axe manufacturers.

You just slide your Fiskar's axe or hatchet blade through this a few times (10 or 20 strokes usually) and it sharpens the blade back to (or close to) factory sharpness (which is very sharp indeed). Easy, not much pressure or upper body strength required, so anyone can do it.

Although I love my Fiskars' X25 axe and X7 hatchet, I was skeptical of this Sharpener at first. It's extremely lightweight, and almost entirely made of plastic.
It looks very similar to those $3 kitchen-knife generic sharpeners from the discount stores, and those generic sharpeners are usually junk products.

Happily, I am pleasantly surprised that this works. It really does sharpen my Fiskars' blades very effectively.
Other reviewers, and some threads in online tool forums, indicate that they received flimsy or ineffective sharpeners.
I don't know what the history of these may be or which factories produced what and when, but mine (received as a birthday gift in 2015) works just fine, and I have no problem giving this 5 Stars.

This is angled for Fiskars' own axes and their specific grind and blade geometry.

This does not work when I try it with the infamous $9 generic Ozark Trails steel-and-rubber hatchet from Walmart; the Ozark Trails blade edge is too wide and too thick (because it's a blunt piece of junk) to fit into the Fiskars sharpener.
I also have an older, excellent quality USA-made axe that also is too thick to fit into the Fiskars' sharpener. My Estwing hatchet also does not fit properly into this sharpener (and I think it actually dulled the Estwing, which uses a very different blade shape).

So don't order this expecting it to be a "universal" axe sharpener. It's also not designed for knives (different blade grind and angle). But if you have a Fiskars' axe or hatchet, this is the dedicated proprietary sharpener you want. I'm pleasantly surprised how well this works.

I hope this is helpful as you comparison shop online. Happy (and safe) chopping, everybody.