Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

This is an amazing nostalgic trip to the candy store of years past. The box contains a dizzying array of candy that was popular in the 1960s. Many of these candies have been rarely to never seen in the years since. Some can't pass contemporary political muster (candy cigarettes or licorice pipes, anyone?) and some were novelties even at the time (wax lips, for instance) and don't taste any better now than they did then. Sadly many of the candies are now made overseas (the candy cigarettes were made, much to my surprise, in Macedonia), but they do look and taste authentic and are packaged nicely in a sturdy box with a bow on it.

One of my favorites in the box is the "Big Hunk" candy bar which I remember dimly at best. Although the directions for preparing and eating the "Big Hunk" on the back are certainly modern (and involve either flinging your "Big Hunk" as hard as you can or microwaving it), they are very funny nonetheless. I really love the "Lemon Heads" and "Cherry Heads" and I don't think I had seen cinnamon toothpicks for decades, but the real treat in the box for me was the little bag of "Gold Mine Gum" which is still as cool (and tasty) as it was years ago.

This is an expensive box of candy, and is probably not something you would buy every day. Having said that, you get about two and a half pounds of great retro candy presented nicely in a box for your money. I highly recommend this to anyone who misses the strange and wonderful candies of the 1960s.
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2008
I just received this assortment of candy for the second time and I am quite disappointed. The only reason that I ordered the same one again was that my friend loves rock candy. The rock candy is no longer included, although it is still advertised as being in there.
In fact, a lot of the candy that was in there the last time is gone. The pieces that were full sized before are no longer full size and the candy tastes as if it was also made in the sixties and has been sitting around since then, waiting for some sucker to order it. Do yourself a favor and save your money, it is not worth the price they charge at all.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2005
I bought this as a gift for my mother, and she loved having all the old candies she remembered from her childhood. It arrived with no problems and was a really fun gift. Since they've got them for all different decades, I'd recommend them as a cute gift for anyone.
on December 25, 2014
It's fun to see and taste the old candies you'd long forgotten about like Black Cow, Charmers, candy cigarettes, Dum Dums, etc. but some of the candy was so stale it was hard as a rock and hard to eat. Also, a lot of the candies in this collection are sold today in drugstores like Sweet Tarts, Atomic Fireballs, candy necklaces.
This is some of the candy we got:

Lemonhead balls
jawbreakers
Teaberry gum pack
gold mine bubblegum in a bag
Candy buttons
small sugar daddy
fireballs
candy necklace - not one I'd had before
sweet tarts
good and plenty one small box
Mike and Ike one small
now and later
a licorice pipe
Charmers one pack
Dum Dum
Sugar Daddy small
Black Cow small
Abba Zaba

Some of these were in small boxes, some just loose candy pieces wrapped or one piece on a stick.
on February 24, 2013
As a child the most fun was when my sister and I saved up our allowance and went to the corner store for candy. My sister always saved more (a fortune totaling slightly over 15 cents [have you noticed there is no cents sign on your keyboard?]) and got the best candy in the display case. The owner of the store didn't have a lot of time so we felt rushed to pick the best stuff. I've ordered these gift boxes twice, for both sisters, and it has been a lot of fun to look at and taste. The variety is amazing, the packaging authentic, and the memories flow. After a number of years I was encouraged to confess to my sister that it was I, and not an errant mouse, who took the Double Bubble gum from her stash. I feel better now.
on March 17, 2013
I got this as a gift for my Aunt. She was born in '55 so the 60's candy box was a good match for her. She spent the whole day enjoying a blast from her past and it put her in a pretty great mood. Be warned, the recipient will be in a mood to reminisce! Not a problem with my Aunt but if the person you're giving it to is a horrible story-teller... Run. Run while you can.
on April 7, 2012
About 30 small pieces of candy, lots of shredded brown paper, and a nice box. Half the stuff I'd have trouble finding. The cool factor here is "This is the candy that mom and dad had when we were kids". I was a little hesitant about the candy cigarettes, pipes and cigars, but that was part of the era.
on December 26, 2011
Candy Crate nostalgic candy. Worst candy ever. Every piece of taffy was hard as a rock. Don't think some of the candy was from the 50's or 60's. Zero star rating. Do not fall for tis.
on January 16, 2013
This was a gift for my husband and all the candy was stale. It is a total waste of money.
on May 3, 2013
I saw on one of the reviews someone said their candy was stale. None of my candy was stale, I cant test it all in one day but perhaps they didn't like the type of candy. You don't get chocolate for as little as this box costs but there is PLENTY in it for the price. Lots of Jawbreakers, black cow and fruit chews, taffy, candy necklace, candy cigarettes, 3 kinds of gum or more, sweet tarts, smarties, licorice, fireballs, necco wafers. A good buy, would be something a few kids could share.