Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

This is an amazing nostalgic trip to the candy store of years past. The box contains a dizzying array of candy that was popular in the 1960s. Many of these candies have been rarely to never seen in the years since. Some can't pass contemporary political muster (candy cigarettes or licorice pipes, anyone?) and some were novelties even at the time (wax lips, for instance) and don't taste any better now than they did then. Sadly many of the candies are now made overseas (the candy cigarettes were made, much to my surprise, in Macedonia), but they do look and taste authentic and are packaged nicely in a sturdy box with a bow on it.

One of my favorites in the box is the "Big Hunk" candy bar which I remember dimly at best. Although the directions for preparing and eating the "Big Hunk" on the back are certainly modern (and involve either flinging your "Big Hunk" as hard as you can or microwaving it), they are very funny nonetheless. I really love the "Lemon Heads" and "Cherry Heads" and I don't think I had seen cinnamon toothpicks for decades, but the real treat in the box for me was the little bag of "Gold Mine Gum" which is still as cool (and tasty) as it was years ago.

This is an expensive box of candy, and is probably not something you would buy every day. Having said that, you get about two and a half pounds of great retro candy presented nicely in a box for your money. I highly recommend this to anyone who misses the strange and wonderful candies of the 1960s.
33 comments86 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2008
I just received this assortment of candy for the second time and I am quite disappointed. The only reason that I ordered the same one again was that my friend loves rock candy. The rock candy is no longer included, although it is still advertised as being in there.
In fact, a lot of the candy that was in there the last time is gone. The pieces that were full sized before are no longer full size and the candy tastes as if it was also made in the sixties and has been sitting around since then, waiting for some sucker to order it. Do yourself a favor and save your money, it is not worth the price they charge at all.
11 comment74 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2005
I bought this as a gift for my mother, and she loved having all the old candies she remembered from her childhood. It arrived with no problems and was a really fun gift. Since they've got them for all different decades, I'd recommend them as a cute gift for anyone.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2011
Candy Crate nostalgic candy. Worst candy ever. Every piece of taffy was hard as a rock. Don't think some of the candy was from the 50's or 60's. Zero star rating. Do not fall for tis.
on January 16, 2013
This was a gift for my husband and all the candy was stale. It is a total waste of money.
on December 20, 2007
I ordered this product as a present for a 50th birthday gift. I was pleased with the assortment of candy as was the birthday girl. Box contained such things as wax lips, candy necklace, etc. Not as much candy as is pictured. The only thing that was irritating is that there wasn't a choice for type of shipping and it was shipped via express mail at a cost of nearly $10 when I didn't need it shipped that quickly. Other than that the product is fun and makes a good gift.
on November 1, 2007
I bought this gift for my mother, for her birthday, and she loved it. Yes, some of the candy is stuff you can buy today, but some of the stuff are things that my mom hadn't seen in years, like the wax candy lips. It was a great hit with her.
on December 10, 2008
The selection was okay but some was stale. The box did not survive shipping very well and was torn in three places. Luckily it was only for my parents so I put it in a gift bag and peeled the sticker off the box. It was okay, but I prefer the Hometown Favorites one.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2007
I bought this for my parents for a gift. They loved going through the box remembering the different kind of candies. It was enjoyable watching them fight over the "good" stuff.
on December 25, 2014
It's fun to see and taste the old candies you'd long forgotten about like Black Cow, Charmers, candy cigarettes, Dum Dums, etc. but some of the candy was so stale it was hard as a rock and hard to eat. Also, a lot of the candies in this collection are sold today in drugstores like Sweet Tarts, Atomic Fireballs, candy necklaces.
This is some of the candy we got:

Lemonhead balls
jawbreakers
Teaberry gum pack
gold mine bubblegum in a bag
Candy buttons
small sugar daddy
fireballs
candy necklace - not one I'd had before
sweet tarts
good and plenty one small box
Mike and Ike one small
now and later
a licorice pipe
Charmers one pack
Dum Dum
Sugar Daddy small
Black Cow small
Abba Zaba

Some of these were in small boxes, some just loose candy pieces wrapped or one piece on a stick.