Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on December 26, 2005
This is a nice little electric tea kettle. It requires that you heat at least 1 and 1/2 cups of water because of the submerged coil. I especially like the detachable cord.

My concerns are two fold. First, the sides do get hot. The handle remains cool, but I would not trust small children to be near it. Second, for the automatic shuttoff to work, the lid MUST be snapped closed. It will continue to boil if the lid is not completely closed (the instructions do state this). This is why I only gave it 4 stars.

It took me 7 minutes to boil (to auto-shutoff) a full pot (4 cups). The minimum (1 and 1/2 cups) took 2 min 50 sec.

It is supposed to be a 1000 watt heating element. Measuring it with a "Kill A Watt" meter, I found it actually used only 850-880 watts.

Update January 2013: After more than 7 years, this kettle is still in use boiling a single cup of water at my work approx 4 times per week. That is over 1000 uses. A few times the detachable cord was not in all the way, and when I turned it on, the on light did not turn on. Simply pushing it in fixed It. The heating element does appear to have some wear, as its got a few pitting marks. This is to be expected. Other than that there have been no problems. I would still rate it 4 stars.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2005
This Electric Kettle is quite simple without any frills. For the price, it does what it claims to do. It boils water quickly , the water level is easy to see and has the auto-shut off feature. I have used it reliably to boil water for tea, oatmeal etc. The water is quite hot, so use caution when pouring it out. The lid , can sometimes be hard to close & open.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 15, 2006
I first became hooked on electric kettles when traveling in the U.K. and have kept putting off getting one. This is perfect for my six (O, heavens did I really say six!) cups of tea a day. Faster than the microwave (only because its actually boiled and hot) and no worrys about...did I leave the stove on as it has a brilliant auto shut-off. It even stays plenty warm enough to top off the first cup of tea. I love it, am only sorry it took this many years to indulge my self with such a simple product!

P.S -- Terrific on snowy days when the kids come in and want hot coco...FAST! (Makes one feel like SuperMom for the rare second or two!!! <g>)

UPDATE: This, my original PS electric kettle died a painful death last year following a power surge after eight great years. I bought another and am happy to report its just as good.
on February 27, 2011
I have had this for over a year and it is still going strong! Let the pot stand with the lid open to air before use for about 24hrs to rid plastic smell.
on July 14, 2007
Have used the Bodum electric kettle for travel for years, but decided I'd purchase this Proctor Silex for the office since it was a few bucks cheaper. That was a mistake.

Despite boiling and dumping out the water a half-dozen times, the water itself STILL tasted like "plastic." Ick. As a tea drinker, the quality of the water is key. Also, I found the general shape difficult to handle, the lid was hard to open, and when gently pouring the water it consistently (and dangerously) sloshed out the sides near the spout.

Anyway, I ended up giving this one away and buying an additional Bodum electric kettle for the office. It's working great, just like the 10-year-old Bodum I take traveling. (I think it's also interesting to note that the classic, no-frills, usable design of the Bodum has remain unchanged in the past 10 years - Hey, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.)
3939 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2011
I have been using this product several times a day for the last two years and it just keeps going. The previous electric kettle I had was worn out after half the time. The product has an automatic shut-off feature, which makes it very convenient to fill the kettle, turn it on, and do something else in another room while the water's getting hot. An audible "click" from the shut-off feature indicates the water's done. My other kettle didn't have this feature and I basically stood next to it until the water was done heating.
I am so pleased with this product that I will buy another one whenever my current one breaks. However, there's no indication that will happen in the near future, which makes this product an even greater buy.
on January 15, 2007
if you've read a few complaints about how the water smells or tastes "plasticky", i found that it truly smell this way for about the first 10 boils of use, but no difference in taste that i can tell. after a while, the smell goes away. other than that, no problems. it boils a full liter or more in about 3-4 minutes with an automatic shut off which is handy. so far, seems like a great product. i've used this for about 6 months now with im sure over 200 cups of tea.

great deal, i recommend it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2005
I bought two of these. One for home and one for the office. Had them for about a month. Items work great. No longer have to worry about the water because it works as advertised and quickly. Just make sure you follow the instructions that came with it and you won't be disappointed. There was plastic smell the first couple of uses but has gone away for the most part. Also note that it has a three prong plug. Very pleased with it.
on March 18, 2012
So far, so good. My husband and I recently started the NutriSystem diet and some of the meals (e.g. soups, mashed potatoes, rice & beans, mac and cheese) come in these little tubs that require you to add boiling water. We had been boiling the water either in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. Since we need to boil water more frequently, I thought I'd buy a kettle to speed up the process and I'm glad I did.

PRO's: 1) It boils water quickly; this is a much more efficient and effective way to boil water as the microwave and stove methods took longer. 2) The water is HOT; these particular meals really require the water to be boiling hot to dissolve whatever chemicals they've thrown in there and it does the job really well. We could never get the water this hot in the microwave. 3) It's convenient; we don't need to measure the water, but there's a measuring scale on both sides of the container; the water does have to be above the "min" mark to ensure the heating element inside is fully submerged. 4) It has a detachable cord which makes it safer and easier to clean. 5) I like that you can hear the water coming to a rapid boil and the "click" sound of the on/off lever when it's ready. 6) I like the auto shut-off feature and the light in the lever so you know when it's "on."
CON's: 1) After a couple of uses, the lid does not close easily almost as if the heat warped the shape. This seems to be a common occurrence, but you just need to use a little more force to close it. 2) Although the handle remains cool, the body of the container gets quite hot. 3) The cord is not terribly long; end-to-end it's about 2 feet, 3 inches. But, we have several outlets above the kitchen counter so it's not a problem and it makes for easier storage as the cord is not unwieldy.

A large number of reviewers noted a strong smell or taste of plastic, but we have not had that experience. However, we are not drinking the water by itself or in tea and perhaps, the taste of the meals mask it. Overall, we're happy with the purchase and think that, for the price, it's a good deal. I wish the exterior stayed cool and that the lid closed more easily, but overall it does a great job.
review image review image review image
on April 11, 2006
I asked for this for Christmas so I could make tea at my desk at work. I can't believe how fast this heats the water to a rapid boil! I also love that the cord detaches for easier pouring. The water is hot enough for tea, instant oatmeal and cup-a-soups; I've made all three easily at my desk with this. It's attractive and it has auto shut-off - good for those with short attention spans like me! The water stays warm enough in the pitcher that sometimes I can get a second cup of tea without turning it back on. You do have to have enough water to cover the coils before you turn it on, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I love this one. I used to have a HotPot that took FOREVER to boil the same amount of water.