Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Style: Small Bites|Size: 4.5 lb bag|Change

VINE VOICEon July 17, 2013
We adopted a puppy at SPCA and the veterinarian there recommended this food so we bought a bag there. A few days later we went to a different veterinarian and he also recommended this food, according to him, it is one of the best products.
We are very satisfied with the food, our dog likes it and it seems to be developing with no problems.
Each bag has a chart that tells you how much food you should give your dog and how often depending on the dog's weight. So you have to be weighing your dog every week (at least we do) to make sure the quantity of food is correct.
When your doggie goes to "do his business" the "waste" comes out in a defined shape so it is not messy or liquid and the amount is not much, and not very smelly, easy to pick up. This is due to the all natural products, no dye, no preservatives in the food. Dogs are better able to digest and really benefit from the food.
Sorry to gross you out but as a pet owner you do want to know this facts.After all, you will be the one cleaning up afterter the pup.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 17, 2010
My puppy has had much better success tolerating and thriving on Science Diet compared with pricier "all natural" brands...you know...ingredients that people would also be happy to eat. But she is a dog, not a human and so if ground up chicken beaks are one of the fillers, but she is healthy and happy, I don't worry about it period. At the shelter where I got her they sell Science diet for half the price of what it is available elsewhere...gotta go get some more. Why, because my dog loves it and is healthy and happy and seeing is believing. Cheers!
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your post! We have recently gained access to respond to customer's post! We can assure you we would never include chicken beaks in our products. We are happy to hear that your dog is enjoying this food!

Thanks again!
I got Zoe from what I believed was a reputable breeder. After I saw the conditions i had doubts. I brought her home and soon after -- i woke up one morning and she was covered in poop and vomit. She only weighed 1.9 lbs in the first place. There wasn't much to loose. I took her to my vet, Dr. Gosney, the best vet in Temple, TX. She had coccidiosis. We got meds and he asked me what I was feeding her. I told him chicken and some other food. I don't remember the name but it had a very good rating. He told me that dogs can get pancreatitis from too much protein. I am a nurse and this made sense to me but I hadn't thought of it. He said that she needs a balanced diet and prescribed Science Diet. I love Dr. Gosney but I wondered if he was just selling the product for them. Alas, I was desperate and worried, so I took the cans home and with the meds and the food, her appetite very quickly returned. Soon, I got her on the dry too, which she loves. Her coat now is super shiny and she has changed tremendously from the little puppy in the picture. Lots of energy and wellness. Poops look very healthy and Zoe is energetic and in 5 seconds of my back being turned was able to chew up my expensive new towel in the bathroom on my shelf. TOWELS I CAN REPLACE. Zoe, I can't. Thank you Science Diet. I know this sounds like a commercial. I am a real person in Temple TX. p.s. i would take a fresh pic but she is napping.
on April 2, 2016
Our Bassett hound puppy is 10 weeks old and this science diet puppy food is working really well. Our vet had recommended this brand for our geriatric dog previously. So we went with it for our new puppy. He is able to digest it, his stool is great and the vet said he seems to be thriving. So I would definately recommend this for your puppy. We also bought the science diet grain free treats and they are small enough for him. He loves them.
on March 30, 2016
The food was recommended to me by my Vet. My puppy has loved it since day one. It leaves her with a nice shiny coat. Most recently I recieved a bag from Amazon and noticed the food is different, that the product was much smaller. I emailed the company to confirm that this was the correct food and I received this response..

Thank you for visiting HillsPet.com and contacting us in reference to this matter.

We did recently have a change on the Hill's® Science Diet® Puppy Healthy Development Original Dry. We changed the kibble to a smaller kibble that is disc shaped.

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to call our Consumer Affairs Department toll free at 1-800-445-5777 or visit our website at HillsPet.com.
on March 30, 2016
What can I say? It's a great price for the convenience of having it delivered at the door versus having to go to the local supermarket for big items. We have seven dogs so we go through a bag a week, these are a small enough size that our 5 pound Chihuahua can chew it without any problems and our 50 pound lab swallows them without any problem. Bottom line: Great item and price!
on May 24, 2015
Seems to be a great dog food. Was recommended by my breeder/Vet. my pup a miniature Australian Shepherd has been on this food since birth. He will be 1 year, this week. He has exceeded his expected height and weight! Not sure if it's due to the food or just my dog.😀 He is very energetic with a beautiful shiny coat.So will be moving on from puppy food. Highly recommend.
on September 18, 2013
great product Great value, my Yorky popy just loves it , I will be a customer for life with great products like this one.
on May 21, 2016
So far, I am a fan of Hill's science diet for my five-month-old basset hound puppy. I have read the labels on nutrition and also worked for animal organizations and vets Who have highly recommended it, so I know that it is a brand I can trust. Just as importantly, my dog likes the flavor. He started off on Eukanuba puppy when he was young, and I just started transitioning him to this other brand. I think he likes the Hill's better. Maybe it is the flavor, or maybe it is the fact that the nugget sizes are smaller, or maybe it is just the novelty of a new food I'm mixing with the other, I don't know. Either way, I think I would recommend this brand. It is just a little pricey, but it's worth the peace of mind of knowing what you're giving to your dog.
on September 19, 2015
I've used Science Diet products for over 40 years, both cats and dogs, and both wet and dry food. All of them have thrived on it. Our current dogs are a pair of Cairn Terriers who are just turning one year old and are just under 15 pounds. They get 1/4 large can of the wet food each per day (in two feedings - essentially a treat) and dry food is always available but I do keep careful track of how much of it they eat. They self-regulate their intake at almost exactly Hill's feeding quantity recommendations. Their coats are shiny, their teeth look great, and they're *very* active. This has been true of all of my animals over the years: If they aren't given scraps or much wet food, and dry food is always available so that they're never extremely hungry, then they will self-regulate eating at a healthy weight if they have enough space for a normal level of activity. At least that's true if you get them young and always treat them that way. I don't know about older "rescue" animals who've known hunger/abuse/etc. Anyway, I (and the puppies) like this product quite a lot, and they'll be switching to the adult version with the next bag.