Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on June 14, 2002
There really is no plot, yet you don't care. There's no real subtext to the entire thing, but that doesn't matter. The actors are all kids and they play baseball...and it's SO SIMPLE.
One of those little films that walked quietly into theaters in 1993 and left just as quietly with little fanfare(which is probably why Fox was hesitant on releasing a DVD) not ONLY happens to be one of the greatest SLEEPERS of all-time, it's also one of the greatest SPORTS films of all-time, ranking with "Field of Dreams", "Bull Durham", "Major League", "The Natural", and "The Longest Yard", to name a few.
This movie is good, so sweetly and innocently GOOD, that you don't care if the obnoxious happens or that a main plot-point happens to be the kids retrieving a prize/signed baseball(by Babe Ruth of all players) from the jaws of a dog-beast-monster-thing.
No, if there was something that James Earl Jones was right about in FIELD OF DREAMS(and he's in here too as a modern-day Boo Radley), it was that baseball brings us back to the times when we were young and apathetic to the world around us. The same applies here.
This film will make you forget about your problems and redirect your focus on your youth and the times you had fun with your best friends.
No matter if those times were spent on a surburban street where the foul poles were really parallel phone poles on either sides of the street or you sat on the porch watching us while drinking lemonade and listening to Ray Charles, those are the good times we remember...
Take a look for yourself...
The DVD has a beautiful 2:35.1 widescreen transfer(it was originally shot in 70mm Panavision) but is lacking in extras. Still, a good cheap DVD with a great film...that's all we ask for sometimes.
-- Matt
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2013
I was nervous about replacing my DVD copy of this movie with the Bluray because it did not say on the case that it was 1080 p. And I have seen quite a few Blurays where the picture really isn't anything to write home about. However I am glad I did purchase this Bluray because the picture was awesome!

I just wanted to put that out there.

Very good movie and looks great in HD! Very impressive.
on October 9, 2003
Back in 1993, two movies involving baseball and children, The Sandlot and Rookie of the Year, came out in the theaters about the same time, both being released by Twentieth Century Fox. I remember Rookie of the Year was pushed hard by the studio while The Sandlot got much less advertising and publicity, which was too bad because I always thought The Sandlot was a much better film.

Scotty Smalls, his mother (Karen Allen), and his step dad (Dennis Leary) just moved into the neighborhood and Scotty is having problems acclimating himself to his social surroundings. An intelligent boy (an egghead), he lacks certain abilities most boys have, like knowing how to catch and throw a ball, any basic baseball rules, or who's the Great Bambino. The movie does an excellent job in providing just enough depth into these characters to provide a sense of the family dynamic given that Allen and Leary have limited screen time. In attempting to join a neighborhood pick up game, Scotty's lack of rudimentary baseball skills is made painfully apparent, to which all the boys except Bennie, the best player of the bunch, let their derisive comments fly. Bennie, feeling a bit sorry for the new kid, gives Scotty a couple of tips and a little extra help in a well hit fly ball that gives Scotty a measure of confidence and helps bring him into the gang. Once Scotty's accepted into the group the movie delves into a plot involving a priceless baseball and a local dog with a mythical reputation. What I really liked was how all the boys came together to help a friend in need, and it was an automatic response. If someone in the circle needs help, the group rallies around, regardless, as they would have done the same for any other member. While a seemingly natural trait in children (atleast in this movie), it seems to be one that becomes lost as we grow older, as seen in Scotty's step dad and his reluctance to play catch with Scotty because he has too much work and doesn't have the time. What is so great about this movie is while it's set in the 50's, the story appeals to most anyone. Whether or not we all had that one great summer or just fond remembrances of childhood friends and activities in general, the movie serves to help recall days when things were simple, and summers were made up of endless possibilities. While watching this movie, I thought about friends I had when I was a kid, phrases we used, nicknames, activities, etc.

No real extras on this disc, but a great presentation of a wonderful movie. My favorite part involved one of the boys called Squints, a smaller boy with great, big glasses, and scene with curvaceous, older, female lifeguard at the local pool.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2003
I first saw The Sandlot when I was eight years old, and have found myself watching it every year since.
The Sandlot is a film about a kid named Scotty Smalls, who moves to a new town and tries to make friends before school starts.
He walks across a small suburban baseball field where eight kids his age play daily, and he turns up one day, plays terribly and ends up joining the gang anyway.
Soon, the team find themselves in trouble after 'Smalls', as he is affectionately nicknamed, hits a Babe Ruth signed baseball into the yard of an almighty dog, who as rumor has it once ate a kid in the area.
The gang tries all sorts of methods to get the ball back, and this results in an extremely funny and enjoyable film.
The Sandlot is a great watch, and you will find the whole family stuck infront of the TV for this one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 27, 2013
This was a great coming of age film that I cannot believe is now 20! My kids had never seen this, so I was excited to share the movie with them. Then loved the part in the movie with the monster dog, but I have to say that there is so much more to the movie than that. The movie is a great balance of humor and topics that kids today can relate to. The movie was well crafted and had a great cast. In watching this again I kind of question "where are they now" for a number of the cast members! This is a family fun movie that your whole family will enjoy, and this is a great commemorative edition to recognize the 20 great years since it first came out.

*I received a copy for review - all opinions are my own*
on March 4, 2000
This movie is a RIOT! I am 36 years old and have been watching this movie with my kids for YEARS! I rarely watch any movie even twice, but I absolutely LOVE this one and so do my kids. It is a true Classic. We just bought a new DVD player and immediately and unanamously decided our first movie would be Sandlot. (To our disappointment it isnt on DVD yet). Dont rent it, BUY it! It totally reminded me of being a kid in the 60's/early 70's, especially since it took place in the San Fernando Valley. The director did a truly superb job in getting the awesome acting job out of these kids. It's not over acted - they all seem so believable, maybe thats why its so great. Squints is hysterical! p.s. If you like this type of movie and want to see something similar about a bunch of 12 yr old girls and their adventures in the same time period (60's). Check out "Now and Then" it's also pretty funny, geared more towards girls, but my boys enjoyed it too.
on March 29, 2013
The Sandlot always struck me as a more kid-friendly version of Stand by Me. It's a frame story narrated by an adult who recalls one extraordinary childhood summer and a very special best friend. However, instead of a quest to find a dead body, it's a signed Babe Ruth baseball the kids are after, and what stands in their way isn't a bunch of older hoodlums with switchblades, but an enormous junkyard dog they call "The Beast."

More than coming of age, The Sandlot is about baseball . . . or the love of baseball. It's 1962, and in a sleepy L.A. suburb newcomer Scotty Smalls is feeling isolated and friendless until the boy across the street befriends him. Benny is the best player among a ragtag group of kids who do nothing but play baseball, except for taking an occasional swim. The other guys ridicule the diminutive Smalls for his lack of athleticism, but with Benny's support he gains acceptance. And what begins as an idyllic summer ends up a legendary one after a prized ball gets whacked over the fence into The Beast's abode.

It's a funny, fun film that holds plenty of family appeal because it has a wholesome Norman Rockwell vibe, and, as with any good sports film, you don't have to love the game to love the film. Other than a pack of trading cards, this 20th Anniversary edition contains no new bonus features. Still, it's nice having a DVD and Blu-ray in the same package.

James Plath
Family Home Theater
on April 26, 2013
Now, don't get me wrong, this is indeed a great movie! I remember the first time my dad took me to the theater to watch this movie. It became an instant classic which I hope to pass on to my kids... The reason I'm giving it such an 'ok' rating is simply b/c c'mon!! it's a 20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION!! These are supposed to celebrate the original! This one really doesn't. It's just the feature film, a behind-the-scenes featurette filmed back during filming of the movie, some TV spots, and movie trailers.... NO "Where are they now", NO reunion! What the hell kinda "anniversary" is that?! This could've easily been released at any time since the invention of the blu ray. I'm HIGHLY disappointed in the "extras" this 20th Anniversary Edition blu ray delivers.
on June 13, 2016
This is a classic in my house! My children grew up watching The Sandlot over and over again. Now the tradition is being passed down to my grandkids. It's a really good family moving that, if your children and granchildren are like mine, will stayed glued to it till the end. Wish they still made movies like these.
on November 18, 2013
The Sandlot is probably the quintessential imagination movie for kids playing sports among their friends. I grew up with this movie and I can't tell you how many times I've seen it but it must be a lot. The Sandlot is about a group of boys that have their own baseball diamond and with the power of imagination they are able to mimic and stylize their game play as that of the big time Baseball legends. When a new kid gets introduced to the ball club and wants to join he is immediately laughed at and told that he can't play because he knows nothing of their beloved sport. After the group loses their last baseball over the fence of a grumpy old man the new kid mentions that he has a ball they can use. He runs home and takes the ball from his Step Father's display case. They play with the ball and essentially it goes over the fence. The kids tell the new kid that it's gone and the game is over. The new kid says that they have to get the ball back because it was not his ball. After a few questions from the group the new kid says it was signed by some lady named, "Baby Ruth" and this is where the group loses their minds.

The Sandlot will definitely hold up over time and will be sure to a favorite for many years to come!