Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Flavor Name: Chocolate/OriginalSize: Regular/SmallPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on April 3, 2014
I am a vet tech and work in an emergency animal hospital. There are always some dogs that manage to destroy and/or ingest any toy, so monitoring play when a new toy is introduced is always advisable. However, over many years I have yet to see an ER visit related to a nylabone. They are especially good for aggressive chewers and for teething puppies (they make a slightly softer material key ring that is awesome for teething). Nylabones keep dogs occupied while crated or when the owner is away, and help deter destructive behavior (like chewing on furniture, shoes, etc). Nylabones also last a long time and don't have the calories of treats. A lot of toys, like stuffed toys and ESPECIALLY toys with squeakers, are often easily and quickly destroyed, and the parts can be a serious health risk for your pet! Ingested squeezers and cloth can get stuck in the GI tract and cause a blockage, which can make your pet very sick & require expensive emergency surgery. Nylabones are also a good alternative to real bones (which can cause vomiting & diarrhea, or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, or even pancreatitis in some pets). If you are tired of wasting money on toys that get torn up quickly or have a dog that needs something they are allowed to chew on to satisfy that natural urge, nylabones are one if the best toys you will find.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2011
I swear we have a dozen of these things lying around our house! Our dogs LOVE them. We have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels that range from 11 to 24 lbs and they are the perfect size for them. Our dogs will seek them out and just lay on the rug or on their pillow just chewing them. They help with plaque, too. Our vet says that all of our dogs teeth look good and we never brush, just give them access to Nylabones, and give them the occasional dental treat.

All of our Cavaliers are MAJOR chewers, the kind that will destroy toys, tennis balls, your shoes, phone, etc. As long as we keep the Nylabones accessible, they chew other stuff a lot less.

One warning: Stepping on the chewed end of a Nylabone with bare feet in the dark WILL cause great pain and yelling. Those suckers are SHARP. :-D
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2014
I have a coonhound/beagle mix who loves chewing, and we've been giving him these since he was a puppy. While enthusiastic chewers (like him) can wear these down to nothing extremely quickly, it's a really effective way to keep them from chewing on the stuff that you value. On top of that, when we took him to the vet for his last physical, when she looked at his teeth she said that they were extremely clean, and asked if we were brushing them. This is the only toy he uses (besides the occasional flossy chew that he destroys instantly) that claims to have hygienic value, so i assume that it is his habit of regularly whittling nylabones down to nubs that is helping to prevent plaque buildup. This is a vurry good quality to have in a chew toy. Get your dogs hooked on them while they are puppies and they'll be brushing their own teeth and releasing their chewing urges in an undestructive manner all day urrday. Which aint a bad deal.

One should note that as a nylabone is chewed, it wears down and gets all bristly and prickly. While this is great for plaque annihilation, stepping on said bristly nylabone in the middle of the night results in a pain about 5090 times worse than the average lego in the same scenario would have caused, had it been underneath the unsuspecting foot instead of said nylabone. Be warned.
on January 10, 2013
I have found that these are the only things my dogs love and enjoy, and take some time to get through. The only flaw is the way they chew it actually becomes a blunt point like a knife that you can cut off with a simple saw a few times before it becomes too short and a choking hazard. It pairs wonderfully with the Large Kong toy. You can insert one end of the bone into the Kong and the dogs hold down the Kong to chew the bone. Add another and make a dumbbell for your dog!
on April 18, 2011
We have six assorted sized dachshunds all heavy chewers. This is the favorite toy/treat of all six. Even though there are always more than enough bones to go around they always want the bone another dog has. They will patiently watch each other and as soon as the one chewing on bone loses interest they will swoop in and grab the bone for themselves. They all get excited when we open a new pack. We buy the three pack.
on January 2, 2013
I have 2 pit bulls, and they both love them. They like the brown bone better, but you should see as soon as one walks away from it from a moment the other swoops in to grab it real quick. They are both power chewers, and I have not seen any splintering so far.
on February 22, 2011
very good quality! My monster chewers... size medium and small... LOVE these and they last for a verry long time... They are SMALL though.
on August 1, 2015
We bought this 3-pack of Nylabones in late January 2015, so we have now had them for more than 6 months. And our 8-month old golden retriever is still loving them. When I compare the cost-per-use of these bones vs. rawhide bones, the cost savings is excellent. My wife used to purchase $20 bags of rawhide bones at Target. Our dog would mow down a rawhide bone in about 2 hours. So, you can go through that $20 purchase in a hurry, unless you really ration them out slowly to your dog. You could easily be spending $20-$40 per month (or more, if you're crazy) on rawhide bones for your dog.

Contrast that experience with the Nylabone; these bones are so tough and hardy that your dog will be working on them for years. We keep all 3 from the pack out in the house, and our golden still takes hours each day working on the bones. We are also dog-sitting right now, and so we have two dogs enjoying the Nylabones (and thereby bringing us some peace and quiet) for lengthy stretches of time. With a $5 initial cost, we are currently sitting at less than $1 per month for all kinds of enjoyment for our dog. That's what I call value hunting.

One note from our experience: the best way to help your dog enjoy the Nylabone is to not offer your pup other alternatives for chewing. For instance, when our golden knew that rawhides were an option for her, the Nylabones become comparatively less attractive to her. But, when the Nylabones are the only thing available, they inherently become more attractive to her.
review image
on February 23, 2014
I have a Rottweiler and a German Shepherd. They are young dogs and need chew toys. Most of the toys I have bought i the past get chewed up in less than 15 minutes. This bone has lasted a least two months and still going strong. My dogs have a couple of bones to choose from so this bone is not chewed everyday. Overall the bone is strong enough to be worth purchasing it and having it last.
on May 20, 2013
Got these about a month ago, and my black lab loves his. He's still working on the first one (bacon flavored), the edges are roughed up as expected and occasionally I find little pieces of the plastic around the floor, but he carries this thing everywhere. He's 60lbs of chewing puppy teeth and this is perfect for him. Anything that keeps him distracted from chewing other things in my house, like pillows, clothes, shoes, and towels.

Only downside is when he decides to show mommy his toy a little too close and I get scratched (usually in the face or arm) with the bone, but that's to be expected.