Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on August 10, 2011
I got my 3 month old puppy this starter set. Like most reviewers, my puppy:
a: chewed on the flexi-chew chicken bone for a long time
b: ignored the white durachew bone
c: devoured the edible chew bacon bone

I will definitely buy her the flexi-chew bones. People are right about the pieces breaking off in chunks larger than `rice' size, but the package says that "rice-sized pieces should pass." I don't think that means it will break in rice-sized pieces; it means that in the event a rice-sized piece breaks off and the dog swallows it, it should pass...should I type rice-sized piece one more time? I just did. My pup chewed off pieces that were consistently larger than rice-sized (Oh! Did it again!) and spent a good 5min. trying to chew each piece down if I could not stick my fingers in her throat to grab it. I crate my pup and would not let her have this bone in the crate because of the pieces that break off. Also, it is down to a size that would easily fit in her mouth so that she could attempt to swallow, which means it is going in the garbage for a brand new one.

The white durachew bone will be saved for when she has her adult teeth and wants to chew on something forever.

The edible bacon bone will be left in the wind since she gets treats as it is. I was honestly thinking, "WTF?" when she crushed it in 5min until I realized it was the edible chew. She loved it, but it might've spoiled her dinner...probably not, but's funny to think that.

Anyway, is it worth it to get this pack? Yes. One Nylabone is about $4. You get this pack for about $7. If your pup doesn't go for the durachew now, s/he will in a month or 2 (depending on age). You can also see how your pup reacts to the bacon bone: okay potties or loose potties. Then, you have an idea of where you should you invest your money.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2014
Please do not buy this product, it is dangerous for your dog and doesn't digest as others have mentioned.

I gave the edible bone to my dog on Xmas morning and he ate the bone completely in a matter of minutes but a large piece ended up getting lodged in his esophagus. The vet had to operate on him in order to save his life and push the particle into his stomach in order to remove it. What was particularly disturbing is that there was already another large piece in his stomach that was too large to pass as well so both pieces had to be removed. $4k vet bill not top mention the danger of the surgery.

I contacted Nylabone and they did respond and appeared sympathetic to the situation and said they would look into but needed the x-ray, a letter from the vet, the pieces themselves and a few other documents in order to evaluate . Everything was supplied and the vet confirmed the situation but two months later I get a letter back from Nylabone stating it was the dogs fault for eating the bone too quickly. Perhaps I should have told Cooper to chew everything up thoroughly and provided a fork and knife as well. When looking online after the fact I found numerous people who have experienced similar situations with the Nylabone edible bones.

Regardless of the vet cost, we almost lost little Cooper by simply providing him what was described as an "edible and digestible" bone. I would not trust these with your dogs, it's simply not worth the risk!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
As I type this my 6 month old labradoodle puppy is cut open on the surgical table. He was rushed into emergency surgery to remove a chunk of nylabone that was blocking his intestine. This product may kill your dog.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2015
In Vet ER currently. No surgery but my dog had a piece of one of the bones stuck in her esophagus. She's only 9 weeks old. Throwing all of the bones out when I get home!
review image
on November 21, 2013
Granted, my puppy is on the big side--an English Mastiff, but the two brown bones broke to pieces in his mouth. I wouldn't bother with these. I think they are dangerous.
on June 14, 2013
These can get stuck in thier stomach which can cause vomiting & diarrhea and even death. Stay away from this product.
on February 22, 2015
I bought this for my bulldog puppy when he was 35 lbs at 6months old. He chewed the bone apart and swallowed it. Since the bones have nothing in them that will show in an X-ray its a guessing game if he needed surgery. We were lucky since they gave him a vomit shot and he puked up the pieces with no problems. These bones should be banned from the market American made or not.
on November 27, 2011
Warning to other dog owners: the edible Nylabones are extremely dangerous for dogs with a big & greedy appetite. My dog swallowed it whole within 30 seconds of giving it to her and choked on it. She was fully unconscious before I could dislodge the bone and breathe into her nose to bring her back to life... We almost lost her over this bone. If your dog is a greedy chewer or eater, then please don't buy edible Nylabones.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2015
There has been a recall on these Nylabone Puppy Starter Kits because of Salmanella contamination. When, oh when will the Nylabone company put a stop to their dangerous plastic bones? There have been hundreds if not thousands of cases where dogs either fracture or clean break their teeth on these artificial bones. Repairing a dog's damaged teeth can be a very costly and painful procedure. Even worse, if your dog breaks off a piece of Nylabone and swallows it, this can cause blockage in the digestive system. Even small pieces of Nylabones cannot be digested, nor can they be seen with X-rays making assessment and treatment difficult and costly. Many pets have died because of this. Obviously, Nylabone Co has too much money invested in their product line to be concerned about the safety of people's dogs. With the thousands of dogs that have broken their teeth on these dangerous bones, it is a wonder they haven't been sued to the point of bankruptcy. Then again, maybe their profit margin can afford the occassional lawsuit. Amazon should do the responsible thing and remove these dangerous bones from their website. Either way, DO NOT GIVE THESE BONES TO YOUR DOG, even if you are monitoring them. It's only a matter of time before you hear the faint crack of your dog's molars crumbling in their mouths, or the gurgle of blockage in your dogs digestive system. It's just not worth the risk.

UPDATE: The more one researches the health risks of Nylabones, the clearer it becomes that this company is aware of the many injuries and pet deaths associated with their plastic bones. In fact, they have often paid-off customers who's dogs have either broken teeth or died from intestinal blockage (chunks of Nylabone in the GI tract) in order to avoid bad publicity.
on September 28, 2013
I thought this product was designed to keep the interest of puppy's to prevent them from wanting to chew other items in the house. My newfoundland puppy found these items to be uninteresting and not very tasteful. She hardly ever chew on them because they lack flavor. This is a wast of money and I do not recommend this item for any breed.