Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Size: Up to 60-Gallons|Change

on October 28, 2010
I have a 65 gallon tank which replaced a 20 I had owned for 3 years. I had the appropriate Whisper filter on that one so I got the larger version for this one. There is no such thing as a silent filter (unless it is in another room) but the whisper does a good job of keep noise to a minimu. If you have your water level right, you do not hear the waterfall effect that others have addressed.
Also, I replaced the additional media in the filter with a better mesh to control phosphates and (hopefully) cut down on algae, and there was plenty of room for this material along with the bags and charcoal.
I had looked at the more expensive cylinder filters but after assessing the cleaning problems, the leaking problems and the overall work involved, I chose to stick with the Whisper and spend my $$ on new fish and decorations!
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2012
I think I have figured out why there are a mix of opinions about the noise level. My guess is that there is a quality issue and some people get better working parts then others. Mine CAN actually be very quiet but it is short live, because most of the time it sounds like a loud buzzing, rubbing, or rattle. I tried to shave the fins on the part that spins with a razor thinking they may be rubbing against the sides, no luck. I've pulled out the tube and put it back in countless times. I pushed it down hard, pulled it out some, but there is no sweet spot on mine. I will add a video soon to show how noisy it runs. It also came shipped with a nice crack in the top cover right out of the box. I already trashed the box and shaved the fins with a razor, but I still may try to return it. This is way too loud. The filter does do a great job, but quiet it is not.

EDIT (MOD FIX):
OK, I figured out why this is so loud. The part that goes into the motor (fins attached to a magnet) is two connected pieces. However, this makes the spinning part with fans vibrate against the magnetic piece below it. So, I dried it and took a small piece of scotch tape and tightly wrapped it around the top of the magnet and the bottom of the fin. This made it act as one solid piece. I put it back in the motor and it is now super quiet. Problem solved for next to nothing.
review image
55 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2013
This filter is great!! I just got it set up and running on my 60 gallon tank. I was worried it would be loud but those poor reviews turned out to be just like any other aquarium advice I see on the internet.. This is really a whisper, the filter is heavenly quiet. I am one of those people that will be driven nuts by a clicking powerhead or a vibration against the side of the tank. This thing is silent!!! If it sounds like a waterfall, its because the water is falling in.. RAISE YOUR WATER LEVEL...and also... 2+2=4
on December 27, 2012
I've been using Whisper PFs for all my aquariums for over 20yrs and have never been disappointed by them. As with any filtration, you should always get a filter that's rated higher than what you need -- for example, if you have a 60 gallon aquarium, the filter's MINIMUM GPH (gallons per hour) rating should be no less than 80 GPH -- because all filters lose filtering capacity over time as media gets dirty and/or loses effectiveness. Aquariums housing particularly messy and/or big fish need filters that can turn the water volume over at least 3x per hour -- for example, a 60 gallon Goldfish aquarium needs a filter capable of no less than 180 GPH. It's for this reason that people have issues with filters not keep their aquariums clean.

Whisper PFs are exceptional! Very well constructed and most are very quiet. The Whisper 60 is the biggest model and is also the noisiest of the bunch. They're not insufferable, though, but you can hear them working compared to their smaller cousins. Usually the noise is caused by impeller assemblies not being seated properly and/or air being trapped in the impeller compartment. Should ALWAYS add the impeller assembly into the motor housing after adding water to that compartment so air doesn't get trapped inside. The cover tends to rattled from the vibration generated by the motor, but putting a rock or something like that on top of it eliminates that issue.

The Whisper 60 has a 2 compartment system which makes these filters extremely versatile! Using the filter pouches, you can add any media you want. I always keep one side stuffed with blue bonded media and sponge type media for beneficial bacterial to take on biological filtration which keeps the water crystal clear even with no chemical/mechanical media in use. The other compartment is used for chemical and mechanical filtration. Keep in mind that carbon by itself isn't 100% effective in keeping aquariums clean, so the carbon packets that come with the filter media for these filters isn't particularly useful -- especially since there is so little of it. I used PhosPure & Sea Gel and have also used Diamond Blend in the past for media.

To sum up, these are excellent filters and pretty quiet when setup & maintained properly. I've had 5 of these 60's so far and never had an issue with them. I also have the Junior and 30 model in operation currently. My 300+ gallon planted Goldfish aquarium has two of these 60s keeping it crystal clean.
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2015
(PROPELLER NOISE FIX!)

Alright so I purchased two of these filters for my tank to replace the older models (but still quite similar) that I had. First off I'd like to clarify that I also had issues with it being noisy, at first; however I was able to find THE FIX!

The problem I had was very much similar to the other reviews, I noticed that I had not properly seated the propeller tube assembly in the filter housing correctly. If you look closely where the propeller tube assembly sits on the housing you will see two small notches. MAKE SURE you align the notches up correctly and more importantly MAKE SURE you put enough downwards pressure to properly seat the tube. It can take quite a bit of force and is a bit scary because I feared I would break the plastic tubing.

Once you feel the propeller tube assembly snap into place all the way you will quickly realize why it was making so much noise.

(The photo attached shows where the notches are at, and where you will need to apply the stern pressure in order to get it to seat properly)
review image
on June 6, 2011
I have had a bunch of whisper filters, and I loved every one. Whispers are good filters, one bad review does not a story make, I highly recommend these filters based on thirty years of experience keeping fresh and saltwater reef tanks (but not for reef tanks, they have their own requirements and box filters are not ideal for reefs) For freshwater tanks, these are excellent filters, ok that's basically it in a nutshell.
88 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2009
Works great. Handy slide in filter cartridges for easy and quick changes. Adjustable flow rate. Extra tubing for water intake inside tank. Super quiet! A quality product.
on October 8, 2012
What a massive filter! It is a big upgrade from my aqueon 30. It is essentially two 30 gallons side by side. The inlet tubing is 3 times the size of the old aqueon. I had to modify the hood slightly so it would fit. I can see why people were complaining about noise but it is not THAT LOUD. It is not much noisier than it's competition. I have a big waterfall sound because I keep my water level lowered for my floating frog platform. I have a 60 gallon filter on a 36 gallon bowfront. I needed the extra power because of the number of animals in my tank. Snails, Frogs, silver dollars, and guppies. Plus the filter cartridges are identical to the power 20 that is installed on my 10 gallon glofish tank. If you need great power and suction then this is the filter for you.
review image review image review image
on March 14, 2011
I've been buying Whisper aquarium products for a number of years and I have to tell you I couldn't be happier with them. They ARE the quietest products on the market. Put them on/in your fish tank and they run so quietly you won't even know they're there. And this power filter lives up to its name. It's super quiet and it filters the water just as it should, leaving it crystal clear (unless you have a bacteria problem and then the only cure for that is to treat your tank). I especially like the design of the bio bags. If you want to add more charcoal or some ammo chips to take care of an ammonia problem, just open them up and add them to the bag. I give this product an A+.
on November 18, 2013
These have been around a long time. They are pretty much all I need in a HOB power filter, they move tons of water, the media compartment is roomy, and they come apart easily to clean up if the impeller slows or starts making noise. The lift tubes can be extended as far as needed with added pieces and the strainer style is good at removing larger debris without clogging too rapidly. The lift tube is easy enough to pull out and clean off when it is clogged. Replacement impellers are readily available (and will be eventually needed since these just keep running forever). The price is appropriate, unlike a lot of power filters now marketed. A low watt motor attached to a plastic box just shouldn't cost all that much.
That said, if you want the "kit" , meaning you intend to use the manufacturer's media cartridges, then pass on the Whisper line. "Bio-Bag" cartridges are possibly the worst filter media out there. The floss bag is thin, poor at filtering finer particles, and needs replacing far too often just to maintain mediocre performance. As a receptacle for carbon (which you may or may not even care to use) it fails since most of the carbon will be at the bottom of the bag and bypassed anyway. Without carbon, the bag itself is virtually useless as filter media and the plastic/fiber "bio mesh" is only barely adequate for the size tank this filter is intended.
There are clamshell frames available that fit this filter and allow use of your own floss/media. You can also simply cut some good quality reticulated sponge to size and have a fine filter with permanent mechanical and bio media that simply requires an occasional quick rinse in tank water.
I have at least a dozen of these running 24/7, many for several years now, and I've yet to have one quit.*(see below) They aren't always the quietest, but not bad. The impellers do get worn and noisy and have to be periodically replaced to quiet it. For good flow, the right price, and a long life you can't go wrong. Just don't expect much if you use Tetra's media in them.

02/06/2015 After many years of use I emptied a couple of tanks with one of these filters on each. Both tanks remained empty and dry for a couple months and when I filled them again and restarted the filters the O-ring seal between the motor and the case completely gave out. I had pushed the impeller into place a bit forcefully, something I've done many times before without issue but never on a previously dry filter. What happens is water begins dripping out of the bottom of the filter casing around the small motor and down the cord (and into the wall socket if god forbid you don't have a drip loop). Potentially a very messy situation since the filter has excellent pull and will continue to bring in water until about half the tank is empty. I don't consider this a reason to lower the rating since I should have known better than to let any, let alone such an old seal dry out, and if I wanted I could reseal them. I chose to toss both, they gave me more than my money's worth. I just wanted to add this heads up to warn anyone as addle brained as I was to not make the same mistake, and to check for any leaking whenever you remove and replace the impeller-intake tube assembly. It's still a fine filter.