Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

Size: Up to 10-Gallons|Change

on July 11, 2009
I own 7 pet turtles. I have two red-eared sliders, four mud turtles and one map turtle. I use the Whisper 40i filters in all my turtle tanks. After trying several different types of filters (ie Zoo Med 501 and Reptofilter) for my turtle tanks, I have found that these work the best and are the easiest to use.

First of all, they do keep the water clean as long as you change the filter media regularly. How often it needs to be changed depends on the type of animal, or in my case turtle, that you own. It also depends on the amount of water in your habitat and other factors. The replacement media is fast to change and more inexpensive than the replacements for other turtle filters I've used.

The filter can be either hung on the side of the tank or completely suction cupped to the side. For functionality, I have found that tanks with shallow water do better with the filter sitting on the bottom of the tank and attached to the wall. Also, pets that are more likely to knock the filter down should have it attached to the wall instead of hung. When it falls in the water, the tank can become very dirty within a matter of hours. My sliders kept knocking one in the water and now the motor does not seem to work as well as it once did.

Make sure that your tank will have at least 4 inches of water in it or this filter will not work for you.

Overall, a solid product!
22 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2011
I first bought this filter for my 1.5 gallon tank that has a betta fish in it. It was the perfect size for the tank. It did a really good job at keeping the water in the tank clear. At about 8 months after I bought it, the water would only trickle out of the filter. I tried taking it apart, cleaning the filter out, putting it back together (as sometimes gunk builds up in my other filter that slows the amount of workload it can handle). No change. I originally planned to buy a different brand of filter, but I couldn't beat this price and still had some filter cartridges left over. I saw that other people have said that they have bought more than one with better luck. So, I decided to take the risk. I was curious to see what the problem was, so i tried substituting certain parts of the filter with the old one. The problem was definitely the little motor. For some reason it didn't push air through the filter as much as it did in the beginning.

Either way, I do like the filter and I hope this one holds out. Its perfect for a betta fish's tank- and I like the price.

------

Wrote that review on January 7, 2011 and it is now February 10, 2011 and the filter is no longer working the way it should. The water only trickles out of the filter, making it unable to do its job. I'm sick of having to deal with this.. I would just like my filter to work like it said it would!!! Don't buy this filter unless you want to replace it a month later....(This is the second one I have purchased with the same result.)
1414 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I read your additional comments as well as the various comments from other people. Air pumps tend to be very noisy when they are plugged into an outlet without the air line and air stone/filter attached to them, but should quiet down once fully installed, if installed properly. For the short lifespan you indicated in your comments, try removing the airline tubing from the air pump and snipping about one inch of it off, then re-attaching it. Airline tubing "oxidizes" with use, and this makes it become very hard and brittle, which is restrictive of air flow. You want to trim this hard, brittle part off periodically and then re-attach it to the pump. Additionally, you did not mention if you had the pump above the tank or were using a check valve. If you were doing neither, water may have flowed back into the pump during a water outage and caused the pump to fail. These units have a one-year warranty on them. For any assistance, including warranty replacement, please call the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on January 10, 2013
If you have a small fish, like a Beta, it is nicer to keep them in an actual tank than a bowl or cup. It will keep the fish alive longer too. This filter is easy to use & changing out the charcoal pouches is simple. My small child is able to do this on her own. The filter is relatively quiet and easy to install.
on February 13, 2011
Had to buy 2 of these within 2 years, they don't hold up long enough for the price you have to pay, motor quit, it should last longer than what it does.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for posting your comments. Most likely, your motor did not quit, it became clogged. These filters will last years if every month or two, you remove the outer case, pull down the motor, and slide the bottom cover off, then remove the propeller and clean it, and the inside of the motor. If you need detailed instructions on how to take this unit apart, please either email techsupport@tetra-fish.com or call 1-800-526-0650.
on November 10, 2015
REALLY annoying. The note says that this particular model contains a clip instead of suction cups. Which is a poor decision. The top of my tank (and a lot of fish tanks) aren't flat. so the minute I tried to install it pushed off and won't work correctly. Luckily I held it down with the cord of the heater I have in the tank but none the less I'm annoyed.
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you Alecia, for posting your comments. I am sorry the upgraded clip did not work for your particular tank. We do have suction cups as well. If you wish to have some sent to you, please call the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on June 22, 2008
I have two African dwarf frogs and was missing a frog one night.
I could not find her. I finally found her in the filter.
I have now learned through reading other web sites; it's best to put pantyhose or cheesecloth over a part of the filter, (use common sense on watching how it does filter so the filter will still do it's job) to protect your frog from becoming stuck.
My girl was saved.
The filter does work, just be careful and aware if missing an aquarium baby.
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2009
It's very quiet and easy to setup,runs on low water and my turtles like to be under the cascade. Very easy to clean also.
review image review image
on November 24, 2015
I used this to make my own pet water fountain and me and my UTI plagued cats love it (they hated it at first but adjusted). Now they literally guzzle water which has been a miracle. I used to buy the actual fountains which are under-powered and gum up and die in a few weeks. This has been a trooper. It's outside (the day I took the pic it was 36 degrees and it's tipped a little because my cat knocks it when he gets a drink) but for the last few weeks it's been in the teens and despite ice all round the filter and the top of the bowl it kept on running. The actual "stream" never froze. First year not having to deal with frozen solid water bowls. I can see on Amazon I bought the filter on September 14 and there has been no maintenance other than replacing water as of today November 24th. It was $10 when I bought it and I feel I got my money's worth the first month :)
review image
on May 19, 2015
Works very well for my two baby red ear sliders. Does the job to filter out the bad and keep the good stuff in the water. The turtles love to hang around the waterfall area too!
review image
on January 14, 2011
I bought this from a local supermarket (meijers) about 2 and a 1/2 years ago, when i first got my aquarium. it is lasted sense then with absolute zero problems. well, actually it does have the tendency to get small, weak, and/ or sick fish stock to the intake grill, but that can be expected from any good filter. It has kept the water crystle clear. When i first turned it on, it was so silent that i thought it was broken. If your a begining fish keeper, i strongly recomend this product.