Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Size: Medium, 12-Pack|Change

on December 28, 2011
When ordering these I was afraid it would be a complete hassle to assemble them. Turns out it takes less than two minutes and is SUPER easy. All you do is stick the frame into the bag, pour the carbon in, clip the frame closed and pop it into your filter. Note that it comes with only one plastic frame, so when replacing you need to take it apart and save the frame. Not a big deal; after assembling this one, I took apart the pre-assembled one I was replacing and found that nothing additional goes into the assembly of the ones that are sold assembled. I was able to save the frame from that one, so I'd have an extra just in case. The same exact frame and clip are used. In light of this, the price of these is awesome. You get a year's supply (provided you need them for just one filter) for the price you'd get 2 or 3 assembled ones. Such a HUGE discount for SO LITTLE additional effort. I noticed some people complaining about differences in sizing. There is no difference, unless you're used to the different name for the sizes from a while ago. Medium = Junior apparently, and it's written on the box. But I don't see that name for the sizing of this brand at the pet store anymore. If you're currently buying the assembled medium ones, these are the ones you need to buy.
on October 10, 2011
I have found making my own filters allows me to add more activated charcoal carbon filter media. The small package found in most filters does not (in my opinion) clean enough because they have only about a handful of filter media inside.

DO YOU WANT BETTER FILTERIZATION?:
I now use the unassembled filter bags -- I add enough activated charcoal to FILL the filter from bottom to top of the filter sac - then the water flows thru the charcoal and NOT around it. BE SURE TO rinse the filter with water to remove loose charcoal before re-installing in the filter frame.

HOW I MAINTENANCE THE TANK:
I maintenance the tank weekly or bi-weekly, first I remove the decorative accents from the tank so I can clean the rock by a gentle stirring motion,(being careful not to bump into the fish) then I loosen debris in rock with the tank water siphon vacuum tube - removing 1/4 the water. I wipe the glass with clean paper towel if needed to remove salts or other debris that accumulates on the glass, I add some fresh water to top off the tank, add de-chlorination, test the water (using a water test kit) and change the filter after filtering with old filter for 45 mins - 1 hr to remove the majority of debris loosen from gravel. That routine seems to keep the tank clean and the goldfish healthy.

BEFORE vs AFTER: I use to buy pre-made, and had fair results for cleaning but after I noticed the pre-made have very little charcoal in the filter sac, I decided to make my own and add more filter charcoal. Now that I have increased the amount of filter charcoal (they call it activated carbon) media, the tank water is MUCH cleaner - at least 50% cleaner overall.

KEEPING A CLEAN TANK SEEMS TO HELP FISH WITH SWIM BLADDER DISEASE: Goldfish may gulp and burp air to alter the pressure in the swim bladder. I have one fancy goldfish that gets an air in the bladder (this bladder disease leads to problems where the fish has trouble with buoyancy in the water -- this is more like a temporary condition that can be managed.) If the fish seems floats up to the top while swimming and seems to lay on side or back after floating to top (this may happen ccasionally because it gets air in the belly)- I have read online keeping the tank clean helps prevent this often genetic buoyancy disorder
HELPFUL TIPS: I also try to add the food in the water downward stream to prevent top feeding which encourages air in the belly intake.

GREEN PEAS TRICK MAY HELP swim bladder buoyancy:

1) Defrost 1 to 2 frozen peas. The peas must be very soft.
2) Gently squeeze the peas to free them from their skins. Discard the skins.
3) Put the skinless peas in the fish tank. Allow the affected fish to eat at least 1 of the 2 peas. If the fish will not eat the peas, remove the peas and try again later.

Read more ABOUT FISH BLADDER BUOYANCY: This green pea method that seems to help the bladder syndrome rather quickly(for my fish this seems usually removes the floating symptom in a couple hours).
==>For more info google these words: "fish bladder disease green peas"

FINAL THOUGHT:
I found that often I can get a better deal (lower price) buying through AMAZON than the pet store I have checked the prices with several pet stores vs AMAZON, so if you plan ahead you can order the items and have them ready to use, when needed.
88 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2012
Just a word of caution to buyers who are unsure of sizing. this filter measures 3.5" x 5". the product description listed is not accurate and is actually the packing size. Otherwise a great product.
44 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2008
I am always happy with my Amazon purchases and this one was no different. However one has to make sure that the right cartridge size is selected as the Whisper Bio-Bags have changed their sizes. The regular is now Large and the Junior is now the Medium. Double check your whisper size requirement as I now have 12 cartridges to find good use for...no biggie I'll always have use for Whisper cartridges at this price...oh by the way EXCELLENT PRICE!
on August 17, 2012
I've been using these filters for at least a year, and the unassembled filters are a bargain compared to the pre-assembled. The filters definitely catch a good amount of impurities, so much so I'm finding myself replacing them after a week, even after turning them around, which does buy you another couple of days. I use them in the larger dual Marineland Penguin Power Filter, so I go through quite a few of the Bio Bag filters. My only complaint is the relatively small amount of charcoal that comes with each filter bag. To supplement the charcoal, I add a bit (not a lot) of the Marineland PA0392 Diamond Blend Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals, 50-Ounce, 1417-Gram, found here:
I believe this blend compliments the charcoal, while at the same time using more of the space available in the pouches. Also, if you find the little plastic clips that seal the top of the bag starting to loosen up, I've substituted one of those little metal clips typically used to hold sheets of paper together that you pinch to open, like these:
Anyway, I hope someone finds these suggestions useful.
on April 21, 2011
I own a Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons and wasn't sure if these were the correct replacements for the filter, they work perfect!

I was buying the Tetra ReptoFilter Disposable Filter Cartridges,Medium, 3 Pack (Disposable) for between 7 and 13 dollars (For three) and accumulated about 20 used ones. I'm glad I held onto them because the "Reusable" plastic frames are identical and now my cost is a buck apiece, saving me more than 50%.

Very easy to to assemble!
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2011
Everyone is going to "prepackaged" filter cartridges. I prefer the flexibility of putting whatever I want into the filters. I prefer 1/3 activated charcoal and 2/3 ammo chips. This keeps the tank clean and also keeps the ammonia down since I keep a heavy load of fish in my tank. I can't seem to find these filters in my pet store, so I get them online. I change my filters every two weeks, so when I run low, I order more and they are delivered before I need them. I highly recommend these filters.
1212 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2015
TopFin frame is on the left, Tetra on the right. The difference is pretty clear.

The filters fit fine and I was happy to see that some carbon packs were included. Can't beat it for the price. They do feel a little thin but we'll see how they hold up over time.
review image
on January 20, 2015
the box was damaged and the frame was completely destroyed and unusable. HOWEVER I was able to use the frame from a dirty filter cartridge that was already in my tank's filter, so instead of returning it I kept the rest of the kit. it was pretty disappointing that the only part of the kit that is meant to be reused was useless, but since the filters and charcoal were fine, and because I was able to reuse a frame from my tank's filter, it was still a good deal.
review image review image
on April 18, 2015
They fit my filter and work fine, but it didn't come with the green clip that closes the cartridge at the top. Luckily the one I had from my previous cartridge works.
review image