Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on February 2, 2009
1950's Retro Candy Gift Box
I ordered this for my husband for Christmas 2008. The box was torn and banged up. There may have been $5.00 worth of candy in it and most of it was stuff I could have bought in any novelty shop-even cracker barrel. As a matter of fact, Cracker Barrel did have similar items in a basket for half the price. I wish I had saved my money. Then add on the shipping- it was VERY expensive!
55 comments101 of 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2009
I bought the 1950's candy crate for my daughter for her birthday. I paid $38.00 with shipping and handling. I don't know what I expected but I was stunned at how little we got. It was about $5.00 worth of candy (probably worth no more than $.50 total in the 1950's), .50 for all the waste of paper to stuff the box, and the rest of the cost was probably for nostalgia. I would never buy one again.
11 comment58 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2009
Great idea.
I was excited to give this as a gift. Very disappointed when it arrived.
Expensive for what you actually get. I felt I needed to purchase an additional gift to go with it which made it even more expensive.
I won't order this again.
0Comment36 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2005
I bought this for my mom, a child of the 50s... she loved it! She stayed outside with her wax lips and candy cigarettes and had a great time. Wonderful. Cute box, too.
0Comment47 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2007
My brother thought this was one of the best and unique gifts he had ever received. He and his wife laughed and shared stories of their childhood as they sorted through the basket. They fought over their favorites and thanked me time and again for the fun the had with this gift.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2011
The Retro Candy Gift Box was a nostalgic assortment of nostalgic candies. I bought it for a family member who enjoyed several of these candies during their childhood years. Unfortunately the candy freshness was poor. Most of the confections were shelf-stale. Old. Gums were rock-hard, such as the Bazooka individuals. Suckers had a soft outer layer. Too many items were obviously past their sell-by dates. The joke went around the table that "maybe these candies *are* actually left over from the 50's!". It was a trip down memory lane for the gift receiver, but a disappointing one at that. I would not buy this again.
on January 3, 2011
I purchased this product for a gift for someone who liked to reminisce about his old days are kid and the candy he use to eat all the time. After seeing this thought it would be a good gift. However, he opened and wanted to share some and we found out that all of the candy was stale and was inedible. I would not recommend this product for anyone even if they price were to drop.
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2011
The candy in the box was very nostalgic(cool) but it very well may have been fresher if it was from the 50's. Holy moly the stuff was hard as a rock(juju-bees and gum). I busted a tooth on the juju's. I didnt expect it to overflow with candy but DID expect it to be a little, check that, a LOT fresher than it was. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
on August 3, 2009
Well, the thought is really cool and I thought it would be a great gift, but as someone else stated, it is not very much candy for the price. If you want something similar, Cracker Barrel has one much cheaper.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2008
I bought this gift box for my husband and he absolutely loved it. He went from a 62-year-old man to a 5-year-old kid in the candy store. It had all his favorite candies from the 1950's and he was thrilled. I definitely recommend it.