Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 5, 2012
My parents have a cat that goes through terrible allergic episodes where he throws up uncontrollably, breaks out on his skin, his fur falls out, and when he uses the litterbox, it stinks horribly. Thing is, they started to notice that this only happens after feeding him the good old grocery store brand, what I affectionately call "tails n' scales", catfood. When he eats the cheapo brands, it usually doesn't take long for him to start throwing up, breaking out, and losing fur, and sending everyone in the house on a mission to find deodorizing spray. However, when fed the Science Diet, he never throws up, and, he never gets hairballs, and thankfully, his use of the litterbox isn't smelly. Science Diet catfood is the one and only food that does not make him spin out of control with an allergic reaction. I recommend it to anyone. I firmly believe that most pet food manufacturers could care less what goes into their food. Not true with Science Diet, it is the one and only food that my parents will buy now. I highly recommend it to anyone.
on March 8, 2014
I have been conducting an informal survey on how well the Hill's Science Diety hairball formula cat foods control hairballs. I have a 20-lb black main coone cat with long hair. He hacks up the biggest hairballs I have ever seen. I bought him the dry Hairball Control Formula. So far, he is having hairballs about every two weeks. I just bought this food to see if it would do a better job at controlling his hairballs, in conjunction with the dry food, because he enjoys eating dry food, though I am trying to get him on a diet of wet food only. So far, he is very happy with the food and hasn't yet had a hairball. I will report back.
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
I have an 18 year old Siamese cat who has developed hairball problems in the last year or so. She is pretty finicky, but likes this food. I can say that I have seen improvement in her health and well being since placing her onto this diet. The classic version of the food works well for my cat as she doesn't have a lot of teeth.
on February 4, 2013
I love this product. Ever since I got my siamese cat as a 6 month old she had horrible problems with hair balls. Other products just did not help the problem. I tried this cat food which she just loves and have not had another problem since. She's been on it for over a year with wonderful results. I would highly recommend it to anyone with this sort of problem with their cat.
on December 26, 2013
We switched to this because even with hairball gel each day, our kitty is still having hairballs. This seems to cut down on them, but not eliminate them. He likes it a lot, even though he won't eat some other purees.
on November 6, 2013
My one cat suffers from hairballs and had been throwing up constantly. I switched him to this hairball control cat food and Purina One Cat Sensitive System Cat Food, 16-Pound and also started giving him hairball control treats once a day. The difference is amazing so this combo seems to really be working. He now only throws up once every week to two weeks instead of every day. Both of my cats love this food and are clamoring to get it when it's dinner time. The smell isn't too "cat food-y" if that makes sense. There is no overwhelming pungent odor which I appreciate! Also, even though it's the same oz as some other brands I have tried, for some reason it seems like there is more in the bowl when I put this in there. Maybe this is because this isn't a congealed can shaped puck of food like some other wet foods and is more of a softer consistency? Not sure, but either way myself and my cats love this food.
on May 4, 2014
I use this for hairballs. Only needs about 1/3 of a can a couple times a week, and easy to feed to the cats. They all like it, even the one who doesn't like canned food (only dry). Completely stopped the hairballs in my cat who had them a couple times a week.
on April 19, 2013
The cats love it and the price was better than at the local pet stores - even the big box stores.
on December 28, 2012
Usually the Science Diet Hairball control food is hard to find at Petco/Petsmart. Amazon sends these with free postage and the price is the same as the store. I can't beat getting it from Amazon instead of going to the Petco and its not there.
on September 26, 2015
This definitely seems to help with the hairball-related vomiting. The label says "minced" but in normal cat food parlance it would be called "pate." The water content is high and the consistency is similar to prescription urinary diets. One of our cats had crystals in the past so I'm considering the extra water a benefit. The smell is no worse than any other canned food and all three cats like it moderately well, sharing half a can a day. The cans were delivered in perfect condition.

Edit 11/07/15
I just signed up for "subscribe and save" because after six weeks of use the vomiting is 95% controlled and our older cat (who eats a larger portion) is noticeably friskier and happier. All three cats also eat small amounts of Iams ProActive Health Active Maturity Hairball Care dry food which I buy from the grocery store because the price is better.