Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 9, 2007
I'm not a professional chef, but I know my way around a kitchen. One thing I never stint on is knives. Cheap knives are a waste of time--good knives are a joy forever. By "cheap" I mean badly crafted knives, not inexpensive knives, because it's always possible to find a moderately-priced knives that outperforms knives double or triple the price.

This is one of those knives.

I haven't been able to determine whether this knife is forged or stamped. The price makes me think it must be stamped, but the Victorinox site implies it's forged. No matter--either way, this is a fantastic knife.

It weighs a bit less than my Calphalon 8" chef's knife, and while I don't think the Calphalon is too heavy--many people do--I find that the Fibrox knife just feels better over the long haul--easier to manuever and control. It doesn't have a traditional bolster (another reason I wonder if it was stamped) but I find that it makes little or no difference--it's so well-balanced that gripping the front of the handle is perfectly adequate for control. (And you know what? The fibrox handle is very, very comfortable.)

Sharp? Yes, very. The reviewer who found hers to be dull must have had a knife that was damaged in some way, or somehow got past quality control, because out of the box this knife was exceeded in sharpness only by my Shun santoku.

Over the last two days, I've used this knife to trim and cube chuck steak and Boston butt, chop kale, slice chorizo, and dice roasted red peppers. I used it to carve our turkey at Thanksgiving, and it's equally at home doing a chiffonade of basil or dicing carrots. At this price, I'm likely to buy duplicates to keep both at my parent's and in-law's houses for when I cook there, because it's rapidly becoming the knife I can't work without in the kitchen.

Yes, I paid more for that santoku, but I think I like this knife better.
11 comment|262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2005
This is the chef's knife I've been looking for. The blade is the right balance between stiff and flexible. The perfectly curved shape automatically starts that rocking motion that makes chopping a breeze. I've been skeptical about ever developing the ability to chop like the chefs on cooking shows. No longer. And to think -- it was my bad knives to blame all this time! I'm buying several of these to give as Christmas gifts this year.
0Comment|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2008
I liked the knife at first but after only a few months of light use, about 1/4" of the tip seems to have broken off. This doesn't surprise me, as the blade is thin compared to the better knives.

Update on this review: I was beyond the Amazon 30-day return period, but Victorinox was more than happy to replace it, emphasizing that all their products have a lifetime guarantee.
5151 comments|1,004 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2015
Sharp knife. However, after almost a year of using it, I have noticed that there are chips on the knife blade.
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 18, 2014
The knife is great but the packaging was HORRENDOUS! I have no idea if this knife was used and resharpened because it was not in the original packaging...The knife seems like the real deal but I honestly have no idea.
review image review image
66 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi, I'm from Victorinox Swiss Army. What you have pictured here is NOT our packaging. It looks like you may have purchased this knife from a 3rd party seller claiming to sell our products on amazon. Examples of unauthorized sellers would be Slick Sales, thehomebutcher and FSN. This is not our Frustration Free Packaging or our Retail Clamshell packaging. I would return it to whomever you purchased it from on amazon. 3rd party sellers on amazon can offer Prime shipping with Fulfillment by amazon, but they are not all authorized sellers of Victorinox. We have seen many people claiming to sell our knives in makeshift packaging as of late. This is a clear example of that. I would also notify amazon.

Tracey
Victorinox Swiss Army
on November 29, 2006
Have lots of knives and all were more expensive by far than this gem and yet this is the one I reach for more often than not. I was afraid it might feel flimsy but it doesn't. It holds it edge nicely. I'd be happy to own more than one.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2006
The Forschner 40520 was rated as "best overall" in Cooks magazine in Fall 2004. Pretty good report card from "the" chefs magazine. It took top honors over several high end ($80 -$100+) Wusthofs and Henckel models. While they didn't claim that the Forschner was better at any one specific task or that the craftsmanship can stand up to the others (its blade is cut from a blank ribbon of steel, instead of a hand-forged one piece) they did say that its lighter weight was preferred by some of their testers and that it handled the basics just as well as more expensive models. I just took delivery of mine last week and I am putting it to the test. I can say that it arrives razor sharp...nice... and that it's fairly well balanced. The handle is made of a grippy composite that allows you to securely hold firm if wet or in akward positions. The handle is a little longer than others I've owned, maybe too long for small hands, but it is contoured so you can move up towards the blade for better control. The blade does have a nice rocked contour, which makes chopping & dicing easier. I've grown to prefer ligher weight blades and you don't sacrifice much when it's this sharp. Overall I would say that for the price, this is a great chef knife..time will tell if any problems develop. Definitely doesn't have the same craftsmenship or allure of one of the high end Germans, but if your looking for a highly functional, lightweight, standard chef, it's hard to go wrong here.
77 comments|692 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2005
This knife is such a value. I have always had a hard time accepting the high-prices on Wuesthoff or Henckel knives because I never felt the VALUE was worth it. Boy am I glad I held out for the Victorinox knife! This knife, also known as Forschner, is consistently sharp. Just a few swipes of the sharpening steel and its good as new again. I use this knife and a 6" every day. The handles are comfortable and do not get slippery when wet. They are practically the only knives I use. I wash and wipe dry after each use (NEVER put in the dishwasher). I think you'll be as pleased as I if you try this knife.
0Comment|297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2010
(check out my customer image, it's still looks brand new)
Sounds like something a married couple would say eh??? I don't feel I can add any more positive-ness to this knife but here I go. The reviews don't lie people this is a great knife, vary usable hardness, sharpens well, has not even begun to fade or rust, the handle is perfect for someone with large hands or small hands, the blade has a nice fine taper to the back of the blade (no multiple sharpening angles which I hate!!!), on and on it's just a good knife... I got this knife right when it hit the market and glad I did. I've recently ordered a new one as a valentine gift to a certain someone(:D). I would give them mine but how would we knife fight as a couple? LOL!!!

I truly don't think I'm going to be buying another one unless:

A. It get's stolen or lost.
B. It get's so old the handle dry rots.
C. I have to defend myself with it and I break it off in an intruders rib cage.
D. I'm drunk and take out in the back one day to bang on concrete (lol).
E. I accidentally leave it soaking in meritic acid.
(are you getting the picture???)
review image
on February 13, 2015
This knife was highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated and I loved it when I first got it - great balance, nice construction - but within the first two weeks the tip of the knife broke off. I'm a little bit of a kitchen item snob and am very careful with my cooking tools - especially knives. Somewhere between slicing onions, carrots and other veggies and two turns in the dishwasher (in a special knife place) the tip is gone. No idea how this happened. While I know that it can happen with cheap knives or knives that aren't properly cared for, I've never had it happen. Makes me question the quality of the rest of the blade if the tip has shattered off despite careful handling.
review image review image
1414 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse