Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on December 9, 2007
I'm not a professional chef, but I know my way around a kitchen. One thing I never stint on is knives. Cheap knives are a waste of time--good knives are a joy forever. By "cheap" I mean badly crafted knives, not inexpensive knives, because it's always possible to find a moderately-priced knives that outperforms knives double or triple the price.

This is one of those knives.

I haven't been able to determine whether this knife is forged or stamped. The price makes me think it must be stamped, but the Victorinox site implies it's forged. No matter--either way, this is a fantastic knife.

It weighs a bit less than my Calphalon 8" chef's knife, and while I don't think the Calphalon is too heavy--many people do--I find that the Fibrox knife just feels better over the long haul--easier to manuever and control. It doesn't have a traditional bolster (another reason I wonder if it was stamped) but I find that it makes little or no difference--it's so well-balanced that gripping the front of the handle is perfectly adequate for control. (And you know what? The fibrox handle is very, very comfortable.)

Sharp? Yes, very. The reviewer who found hers to be dull must have had a knife that was damaged in some way, or somehow got past quality control, because out of the box this knife was exceeded in sharpness only by my Shun santoku.

Over the last two days, I've used this knife to trim and cube chuck steak and Boston butt, chop kale, slice chorizo, and dice roasted red peppers. I used it to carve our turkey at Thanksgiving, and it's equally at home doing a chiffonade of basil or dicing carrots. At this price, I'm likely to buy duplicates to keep both at my parent's and in-law's houses for when I cook there, because it's rapidly becoming the knife I can't work without in the kitchen.

Yes, I paid more for that santoku, but I think I like this knife better.
0Comment223 of 248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2005
This is the chef's knife I've been looking for. The blade is the right balance between stiff and flexible. The perfectly curved shape automatically starts that rocking motion that makes chopping a breeze. I've been skeptical about ever developing the ability to chop like the chefs on cooking shows. No longer. And to think -- it was my bad knives to blame all this time! I'm buying several of these to give as Christmas gifts this year.
0Comment134 of 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2008
I liked the knife at first but after only a few months of light use, about 1/4" of the tip seems to have broken off. This doesn't surprise me, as the blade is thin compared to the better knives.

Update on this review: I was beyond the Amazon 30-day return period, but Victorinox was more than happy to replace it, emphasizing that all their products have a lifetime guarantee.
5151 comments986 of 1,144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2006
Have lots of knives and all were more expensive by far than this gem and yet this is the one I reach for more often than not. I was afraid it might feel flimsy but it doesn't. It holds it edge nicely. I'd be happy to own more than one.
11 comment62 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2006
The Forschner 40520 was rated as "best overall" in Cooks magazine in Fall 2004. Pretty good report card from "the" chefs magazine. It took top honors over several high end ($80 -$100+) Wusthofs and Henckel models. While they didn't claim that the Forschner was better at any one specific task or that the craftsmanship can stand up to the others (its blade is cut from a blank ribbon of steel, instead of a hand-forged one piece) they did say that its lighter weight was preferred by some of their testers and that it handled the basics just as well as more expensive models. I just took delivery of mine last week and I am putting it to the test. I can say that it arrives razor sharp...nice... and that it's fairly well balanced. The handle is made of a grippy composite that allows you to securely hold firm if wet or in akward positions. The handle is a little longer than others I've owned, maybe too long for small hands, but it is contoured so you can move up towards the blade for better control. The blade does have a nice rocked contour, which makes chopping & dicing easier. I've grown to prefer ligher weight blades and you don't sacrifice much when it's this sharp. Overall I would say that for the price, this is a great chef knife..time will tell if any problems develop. Definitely doesn't have the same craftsmenship or allure of one of the high end Germans, but if your looking for a highly functional, lightweight, standard chef, it's hard to go wrong here.
77 comments687 of 811 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2015
This knife was highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated and I loved it when I first got it - great balance, nice construction - but within the first two weeks the tip of the knife broke off. I'm a little bit of a kitchen item snob and am very careful with my cooking tools - especially knives. Somewhere between slicing onions, carrots and other veggies and two turns in the dishwasher (in a special knife place) the tip is gone. No idea how this happened. While I know that it can happen with cheap knives or knives that aren't properly cared for, I've never had it happen. Makes me question the quality of the rest of the blade if the tip has shattered off despite careful handling.
review image review image
1414 comments60 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2015
Sharp knife. However, after almost a year of using it, I have noticed that there are chips on the knife blade.
review image
11 comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2005
This knife is such a value. I have always had a hard time accepting the high-prices on Wuesthoff or Henckel knives because I never felt the VALUE was worth it. Boy am I glad I held out for the Victorinox knife! This knife, also known as Forschner, is consistently sharp. Just a few swipes of the sharpening steel and its good as new again. I use this knife and a 6" every day. The handles are comfortable and do not get slippery when wet. They are practically the only knives I use. I wash and wipe dry after each use (NEVER put in the dishwasher). I think you'll be as pleased as I if you try this knife.
0Comment293 of 345 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2009
Based on all the promotion by Cook's Illustrated one would think that using this knife would be some sort of zen-like experience. It's not.

The stamped blade arrived very sharp and the handle is grippy but has some deformation where it was pulled from its mold. The blade slices easily through food and is capable of making thinner slices than most forged knives but that's where the good news starts to end. Food sticks like crazy to the smooth-as-glass stamped blade which can really slow down certain tasks. When chopping or mincing, the lightweight design doesn't feel nearly as smooth as a good forged knife.

I compared the Victorinox side by side with a generic Chinese forged knife that is a copy of a Wusthof or Henckels. I prefer the Chinese knife by a considerable margin. The forged knife has a much better feel when chopping and the rougher surface of the forged blade causes most food to pop off the blade whereas it sticks to the Victorinox. The wedging action of the thicker forged blade also helps to make prep work go faster with most foods than with the Victorinox.

So while the Victorinox is a good knife for the price it's certainly not a worthy substitute for a high-end German or Japanese knife. In fact, a good Chinese forged knife might be a better choice for about the same amount of money. The Chinese knife will probably need to be sharpened out of the box but that's a skill that every knife owner should know. If you're really a serious chef then get a Wusthof Ikon or other high-end knife and enjoy. Of course, those knives will eventually need sharpening as well.

I have to agree with some of the more critical reviews here. The Victorinox is good for an inexpensive knife but it's not the chef's delight that some would have others believe.
22 comments41 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2007
I to bought this knife because of the rating in Cook's Illustrated. I have Henckels and was interested in something to use in more utilitarian situations. I didn't want to baby it; I wanted to use it and then put it in the dishwasher and forget about it. After using this knife I realized that I made a mistake in ever buying the Henckels. They now seem heavy and clumsy in my hand. Every time I reach for a knife I grab this one. I only bought one knife because I wanted to see if it would hold an edge and to see how hard it would be to re-sharpen. Well after a year of constant use I still don't know how hard it will be to re-sharpen because I haven't had to do that yet. It was yesterday while slicing tomatoes that I realized just how fantastic this knife was. Here I had a knife that hadn't been sharpened in a year and I was slicing tomatoes like I was using a seriated utility knife! The only reason I don't have more than one is because my magnet is full of Henckels that I don't like to use. Anybody want to buy a set of totally babied Henckels? I need more knives I like to use.
22 comments163 of 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse