Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Color: beige|Change

on April 15, 2010
This box is a great toy for the cats who just have to get into EVERYTHING. The construction is sturdy and well-made; I have no concerns of my cat inadvertently receiving injuries from uneven edges, exposed nails, or the like. The wood is solid enough to support my 18lb cat. It might seem a bit expensive for, essentially, a box with holes in it, but for us it was worth the money. I had attempted to make similar toys, but they just couldn't stand up to her weight/muscles/claws.

What can you put inside it? It comes with two toy balls that fit snugly inside the box. The balls that came with my purchase are not easily removed; in order for me to take them in or out, I have to use a bit of force. This can be good or bad - if your cat is really excited and persistent, s/he could conceivably get the balls out, but a more timid cat might give up. But you aren't limited to just those toys. It fits well most small cat toys, from stuffed mice to cage jingle balls. Of course, treats or kibbles are always a hit.

Does the cat actually like it? Our girl definitely does. She wasn't interested in the balls that came with the box until I "marinated" them in catnip for a few days. I thought she'd enjoy digging out her favorite toys, Zanies Realistic Mice Cat Toys - Hours of Fun - Set of 20 - White / Gray / Black, but that hasn't been as big of a hit as other options. So just keep in mind: if one thing doesn't work, try another! The treats are the biggest hit. If you're worried about giving your kitty too many unhealthy treats, I recommend finding some healthier ones, like EVO Wild Cravings Turkey & Chicken Cat Treats (3 oz) or others made from dried meat. Or just use her regular dry food! Then you can feel a little better about playtime, knowing kitty is getting a healthy treat and a mental/physical workout.

The video I provided is her first experience with the box, just a few minutes after opening it. She now will occasionally go to sit by the box and look up at me when she wants me to drop some treats in!
66 comments|183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2006
The box was very nicely made and I have no complaints about the product itself. My cats were not interested in it at all, so I took it to my in-laws house and their cat LOVES it. So, as is to be expected with all cat products, there is no guarantee that your cats will like it, but if they do, this is a great product.
0Comment|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2007
My cat Bella normally gobbles her food down in seconds and is very lazy, sleeping all the time and ignoring her toys. She has been like this since I adopted her at a local shelter. I have had a terrible time getting her to be more active. This toy actually works though as she is very food motivated. I put some of her dinner (dry food) in the box and it took her 30 minutes to finish. Best of all it made her hop around to get her food out.
1717 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2009
when I saw this 14" model for $22 shipped here on Amazon - I grabbed one.
I already made this toy out of a Tupperware casserole container to use as a puzzle feeder, so I took a star off this item for not having a removable bottom for easier cleaning. the 2 hard foam balls that come with this box are not easy for your cat to remove, so there is less worry about finding the balls later under your furniture. the holes are 1-3/4" diameter, making them perfect for rubber super balls and golf balls - all are that same size.
If you buy mice toys to hide in the box, I recommend any with an internal tinker bell, rattle, or electronic chip that squeaks when moved, and make sure to get the medium to large sized mice in the 3"-5" range, or it will be too easy for your cat to remove them, thus reducing the continued play appeal. don't be discouraged if you don't see your cat play with this unattended as my cats often play with it at night while I'm sleeping - I can tell since each morning the toys and balls inside are in a new position.
This item has a thin flat finish over it's high density fiber board, assembled with a nailgun machine, not screws. don't worry, all the nail heads are recessed. If you are the handy do it yourself type, you might enjoy the opportunity to further stain or spray paint this box to better match your decor. The only colors cats can distinguish are yellow green and blue, so using those colors could make for a more interesting toy.
I respect many reviews who post their cats were disinterested in this toy, so if you want to test your cat first, cut holes in a narrow granola cereal box, tape the ends closed and stuff a ball and mouse toy inside to simulate this Peek A Prize. if your cat goes for it two or more times, then buying this heavy duty well finished cat toy box will prove to be a useful long term investment in your cat's mental and physical wellbeing.
The 44mm balls in the JOOLA BALL SET 3/2/2 Table Tennis Balls fit perfectly into this box, and cannot be easily removed by your cats as would normal 40mm balls. so now my cats can enjoy the original foam balls, dense rubber super balls, and hollow light ping pong balls, all without me having to find them under the furniture later.
44 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2007
My Bengal cats love to play with this. Kittens have no problem with it, however my larger cats have gotten their arms stuck when they reach in and jump away with the heavy box attached to them. I wouldn't advise buying this for a cat unless you supervise the play with it. I would advise it for a kitten anytime as they can slide their arms and paws in and out without difficulty and it gives them the interactive "hunting" play part they need to develop.
66 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2011
I had to return this item due to safety concerns. I discovered that the finish nails that held down the top piece of wood were not lined up correctly. Sharp exposed finish nails on the top interior posed a real safety concern. My cat could have been severely injured had I not discovered this defect. The maker should always inspect a toy before shipping it to a customer.
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2011
To the manufacturer: The concept was perfect, the fit & finish of your cat toy flawless, the price point very reasonable, and my 2 cats started immediately playing with it just like in the pictures. I'm a carpenter (yes, I could've easily made the box myself, but my time & $$ and such a reasonable price...) Amazing! but.... one of my cats got his foreleg (paw?) really stuck above the elbow reaching inside at such an angle I couldn't twist or move it to free it. For @ 3 very exciting minutes, there was nothing I could do about it; cat thrashing around, snarling; scared the heck out of me (and kitty). The finish work is so smooth and well done there was no damage to kitty rather the hole size and box depth. My apologies to a fine product, but ... Caveat Emptor.
33 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2006
First, if you are handy with wood this is a very simple product. Just a wooden box with holes drilled in and toys stuffed inside for the cats to remove. So, if you have a handy husband consider that route.

If however, your husband is not handy, or doesn't have the time to spare ..... this is a nice product. The finish is very smooth, no rough edges. And the cats really do seem to enjoy taking the toys out of the holes. Plus I get exercise going through the house to find the toys and stuff them back into the holes.

In conclusion, the cats enjoy it, and the humans get more exercise. It is a win win situation. I recommend this product to all "over the top" cat parents. I removed one star because I feel as though the price is a little high for what the product cost to manufacture.
33 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2006
I started by getting the cardboard version, which is much cheaper. I took it back because the holes are pointed and actually kept getting stuck around my kitty's neck. This beautiful wood version is great! Sebastien figured out how to get all of his toys out pretty quickly, so I had to make it a bit more difficult by blocking some of the holes with duct tape (don't use clear tape...it's confusing). He loves this thing now. Great occupation of time when we're at work.
on December 10, 2014
Love the idea of this toy but the MULTIPLE NAIL POPS inside make this a very dangerous toy. I'm including a photo. I purchased this a couple years ago and didn't notice those nail pops at first then time to return slipped by. I found it today stuck behind a door out of kitty cat reach. I've been trying to remove those nails sticking out but it's practically impossible. (any ideas would be lovely!)

Other than the nails, it is of good craftsmanship and would have been four stars for me.
review image