Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on November 30, 2011
My mother feeds her 3 dogs all sorts of Merrick foods. (Grammy's Pot Pie, Turducken, etc.) Her dogs all love it & the vet says Merrick is one of the best, as all the ingredients are natural with no preservatives or (*gasp!) roadkill or dog/cat meat added, as is common in the cheaper brands.
My one complaint with Merrick is that I have seen weight gain in all of the dogs, although they are being fed a little under the recommended amount. They receive dry food for lunch & some canned Merrick for dinner. I think because of some of the sugars found in the fruits used & how heavy some of the food appears it is sticking to their bones more, so to speak.
On the other hand, I cook my own dog food for my little ones (brown rice, ground beef/turkey, homemade veggies like zucchini, spinach, corn, carrots, celery with water to boil) & their weight is maintained at a healthy 9 lbs. When I had surgery I put them on Merrick for two weeks & they both reached 11 lbs. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it could be for little dogs.
In the end I recommend Merrick as it is all natural & dogs love it. Just keep your eye on their weight & all will go well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2012
My dog has a "sensitive" stomach, meaning she vomits and has diarrhea whenever we switch foods. However, I wanted her to have the healthiest food possible. Merrick is the best, especially Turducken. She loves it, no stomach issues, and I love that the ingredients are real food - organic chicken being the main one!
on August 7, 2012
my 4 year old dog statred having seizures when she was 2 yrs old. She is on two diffrent meds to help control them. Still she would have 2 a month. I started her on Merrick in December 2011. She had a mild one in March. Thats the only one all year. I really think the Merrick dog food has made a HUGE diffrence.
on April 5, 2012
My dogs love the wet/can version so I thought I would buy them some dry to mix with the can. They seem to look at it just like any other dry dog food. Maybe they are spoiled. But at least they claim the products are natural and the Merrick brand seems to be nutritious overall.
on August 16, 2013
I like using Merrick brand foods because of the high quality. I originally used the cans only now incorporating some dry food to mix it up a bit. Both my dogs gobble this up and its good for them also!
on November 22, 2012
We try to feed our dogs good food.Merrick fills the bill.All natural ingredients and no fillers.Our pets are healthier and coats look better since we switched
on August 29, 2013
We tried this as an alternative to the food we were using. Our dogs did not warm up to it so we only tried the one bag and then switched to another brand.
on September 28, 2012
My dogs really like this product, and I like it's all natural with no grains or byproducts added. My dogs eat both the dry and the canned Turducken.
on July 18, 2012
So I spent hours researching dog foods- I wanted something not outrageously expensive but also did not contain all the horrible things we're told not to feed our dogs. I read reviews that said people's dogs didn't like the food, got sick, etc. I assumed those were picky or old dogs. My dogs generally love eating time and will eat anything from frogs to cat poo-- lovely.
Anyway- my younger dog begs me not to make him eat the food. I mixed in soft food just so he'd eat it. They dogs have been constipated, throwing up, diarrhea-- the whole nine yards. I isolated other factors to make sure it was the food- continued to feed it to them for a week- and just finished scrubbing the carpet again. Enough. I was so excited to find 'good' food. Too bad my dogs hate it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse