Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Size: 5 lb bagStyle: OriginalPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on February 1, 2013
The vet diagnosed my little Pom(Tazzi) with renal failure and suggested Tazzi be put to sleep on the spot. Of course, I disagreed and took Tazzi home. After 30 minutes of internet research, I discovered several recipes for dog food for dogs with renal failure. I began to make and feed those recipes to Tazzi and he made a quick and remarkable recovery. Making your own dog food can be a little time consuming though so I began to search for pre-made dog foods that would provide the same benefits as the home made dog food. "Science Diet Mature" met my criteria. Reducing the intake of phosphate is extremely important for dogs with kidney troubles and Science diet mature contains the least amount of phosphate I have seen in any other non-specialized, over the counter dog food. Anyway, I put a small handful of Science Diet Mature in a little dish(Tazzi is only 4.5lbs), add some water and microwave it for 1 minute. By the time the mix has cooled, the water has soaked into the food pellets to make them soft and very easy for Tazzi to eat. I feed Tazzi like this whenever he is hungry(about 4 times a day) and fortunately he really likes the taste. I should have had Tazzi on this Science Diet all his life. He is more alert and active than he has been in years! The day the vet advised me to put Tazzi to sleep I thought I only had days left to be with him. Now Im convinced he and I are going to be together for at least another couple of years(he is 13yo atm).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
My dogs have been using this food for many years. My 14-year-old and 7-year-old chihuahuas are very healthy and they like the food. My 7-year-old dog has been on the mature adult diet since he was a puppy, since my older chihuahua needed a senior diet to keep her from having trouble with her liver. Science Diet is the best!
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2013
Hill's Science Diet for Adults is a great dog food brand. Its a balanced nutrition and you really do see a visible difference in your dog. Our dogs have tried everything from cheaper food to more expensive food. Your dogs will poop more on cheaper brands and fillers then they do on "real" dog food. You are what you eat as they say.

Science Diet provides nutrition to restore youthful energy in 30 days as they say. It won't happen overnight. Just like people it takes a few weeks or more to see and feel a difference. It has antioxidants to maintain overall health and a strong immune system. It is made with high quality ingredients which are easy to digest and contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for healthy joints and improved mobility. There is only natural ingredients and NO artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

As far as tastes? We have 5 dogs. All adults and some older adults- and every one of them large and small gobbled the food up- So I would say the taste is great! No upset tummy's or diarrhea as some "cheaper" foods can cause. This is a good brand so I did not expect any issues.
on August 31, 2013
Great product. My dogs like it, and the smaller kibble works for both large and small breeds. Mixes well with meat or cheese if I want to add more to their kibble. Or they eat it alone. Their digestive systems like it too. They maintain regular movements (ahem, ok folks, it MATTERS!). I have a 13 lb chihuahua-rat terrier mix about 6 years old, a 13 lb dachshund/basenji/chihuahua total mutt mix puppy, and a 98 lb 14 year old arthritic labrador. All rescue dogs. All healthy.

Cheaper kibble can bring on gas, diarrhea or just not digesting it well. This is a reasonably priced high quality kibble.
Highly recommend.
VINE VOICEon October 18, 2013
This is a little difficult to review b/c objectively, it's hard to determine how much a difference a new brand makes with any degree of accuracy. Here's what I can say for sure:

The packaging was very convenient and it arrived quickly. It's nice to have dog food delivered especially slightly mid-heavy bags. Hill's Science Diet came recommended from a friend that's a vet but we were honestly a little worried that the dogs wouldn't like the taste. That was a total waste of a worry. From day one, our dogs loved it. So after two weeks of use, they still love the taste and quickly eat everything we give them. I wouldn't have expected to see anything dramatic one way or the other, but two things seem pretty clear - they do seem to be a little more energetic which is nice. But they've both lost a decent amount of weight (a little over 10% for both of them). They were both getting a little chubby in their old age and the vet has really been pushing us to get them to lose weight. Well, that happened and it was great b/c we didn't cut down the amount of food, they didn't end up hungry and it took no real effort. Since our activity level is very consistent (we go on three walks a day - the same routes day to day) it'd be hard to attribute the weight loss to any increased activity other then just a little higher energy level. Since we've been feeding them the same amounts and the same frequency,it's not a food reduction. This is hardly a scientific study nor did we have a control group, but the wife and I both are pretty convinced it's the food.

We got this package as part of Amazon's Vines program but we were really thrilled with it - we just chose to make this our new brand of choice. We're very impressed with this brand and highly recommend it to anyone else.
on February 18, 2012
I won't comment on the price because that can change. We all do our best to find deals and bargains.

This food is wonderful. I used to buy cheap, grocery store stuff and tried this on a whim. I'm so glad I did.

My dog is a little older and is missing some teeth. Since he is a shih tzu he also throws up from time to time after eating. (Do all shih tzus do this, mine has since birth) Anyway, this food seems to cut down on the incidents. The pieces are very small and easy for him to chew.

It's good for him, a great size for my little dog, and I will continue to buy it.
on June 17, 2013
Our Chihuahuas didn't care for this product initially, but adjusted to it over time. I didn't give it 5 stars, because it tends to be expensive, and dogs don't seem to like it at first. But eating healthy is important, and our vet assures us this is one of the best choices for our dogs. Our dogs still prefer table scraps, and sometimes we indulge them. HOWEVER, I'm now going to use my review to pass on some advice: If you are like us, and want to feed your dog from your table, make sure you absolutely DO NOT feed your dogs ANY of the following: Chocolate, grapes or raisins, or avocado. These items are TOXIC to your pets.
I'd recommend you try this product, and give your pets time to adjust to it. It really is good for them.
on June 20, 2014
I have a 15 year old mini Daschound who is the Queen of our domain!

She has had tummy problems off and on for 3 years. The vet was insisting on
Every other brand. The Hills I just ordered on a whim and my sweet pup has
NEVER had another problem and is so happy and acts like a three year old!
Thank you Amazon for being there when we were desperate to search for a new product.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2013
My dog likes this food just fine, although there is almost nothing she won't eat, so that's not necessarily an endorsement. I don't actively avoid corn and wheat in my dog's food, although I sort of "passively" avoid them; all things being equal and my budget being balanced in a given month, I'll choose foods that don't contain these. If you scan the ingredients list, you'll see the Hill's Science Diet Active Longevity contains fairly high quantities of both. It also contains no "plain" meat, although chicken meal is the first ingredient (and despite its mystery meat connotations, is not really a bad protein source).

There is always a tradeoff between ingredients and price, whether you're shopping for your human family members or pets. At Amazon's price point, this is not a bad choice. I'm usually more impressed with Science Diet's marketing than with their foods, though, and the Active Longevity is no exception. However, in all fairness, my dog seems to do fine on it, and I don't feel any guilt pangs about choosing it for her. In those months when the budget is stretched, I would consider it among my "second tier" choices.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thanks for your review.

At Hill's, we choose every ingredient to achieve a precise balance of nutrients for optimal pet health. In fact, we analyze our products' ingredient profile for 50 nutrients to ensure your pet gets the stringent, precise formulation it needs. We never compromise on quality and what we say on our label and in our marketing is what you will find in our products- nothing more, nothing less.

Hill's promises that our ingredients, formulas, products and procedures meet stringent safety and quality standards as well as adhering to strict sourcing and production processes. What we say on our label and in our marketing is what you will actually find in our products -- nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks again.
on June 27, 2015
We LOVED Science Diet small bites puppy! We had our Ladybug (boxer) on it from day one! She had an amazing coat, was super bouncy and the vet raved about how healthy she was.

Then can time for the big switch... once she hit a year we need to switch her to their adult formula and our vet said this one would be perfectly fine so we did. After a few weeks she started losing a lot of weight, hair, and getting sores on her mouth. She went from being a gorgeous, healthy, active, and attentive boxer to looking like a sad, lathargic, stray animal!

Maybe she is allergic to something in the food??

I know many people give this food raving reviews and I wish I could too but not at the expense of someonelse's fur baby.

My personal experience with this food was horrible and we're still trying to get her back to her happy ol self. We have since switched her to wilderness salmon and she is slowly coming back :)

My advice if you have a loved one who is very sensitive especially a boxer since they a pron to allergies get a food that is very specific with ingredients and had no fillers or grains!
review image review image