Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on July 9, 2013
These installed easy enough, but after examining how the locking mechanism works, I am pretty sure I could still force the latch on the support tower open without any tools. The locks work by engaging a metal clip behind a plastic tab on the back of the outer cover on the support tower. The engagement is only about 1/8" and the plastic is not very thick. If someone wants to steal your rack or its contents, this will barely slow them down.

For what these roof racks cost, the manufacturer needs to include a more secure locking mechanism. This would probably require making the outer cover on the support towers out of metal instead of plastic, or re-thinking how the locking mechanism works entirely.
on April 26, 2014
After years of not locking our roof rack, a friend pointed out that someone with a pickup could easily remove the entire rack, with all its contents (ski rack, cargo box), in a few minutes. For the extra peace of mind, we spent the modest amount to get these locks. They installed in a snap (literally).
on July 28, 2014
So expensive for what they are. The mechanism is too basic and feel like anyone can open this.
on January 16, 2009
It took a little time trying to get the lock into the slot correctly but once I did, it works like a champ. I like that they give you 3 keys and key sign-up form if you ever lose them. Good product. Would recommend.
on March 11, 2008
Locks were perfect for my rack. Extremely easy to install in about a minute for each one.
on January 9, 2016
Some people have commented that it doesnt give enough safety and you could still break through the locks. While that may be true (because no lock is unbreakable), I dont see anything about these that make them unnecessary. I love how well they secure down the strap and keep it from moving. I was unsure, but after installing they are essential to me. Very glad I got a pack of 4 to keep the rack locked down. You wont regret it.
on May 16, 2012
I bought these a month ago along with two "frontloader" racks. As others have said these are good for keeping would be thieves honest as they lock the knob that loosens the rack to the crossbars (if someone really wants to steal your bike they will rip the whole thing out, and damage your car). Overall I'm happy with them, two comments though. One they seem a bit pricey to me for what they're intended for. Two, when installing these I struggled for about half an hour until I realized that yakima had sent the wrong keys! This is probably rare but when you get them check that the A# etched on the lock matches the one on the keys. I ended up calling Yakima and their customer service was great. They apologized and mailed the right set within a couple of days.
on September 23, 2015
I purchased the four lock set and it about 10 minutes to install them into my Yakima rack setup. The install is very simple and the included directions were very clearly written. As another reviewer stated, these locks only hold the plastic cam lock cover closed. This is not a robust locking setup. I purchased these locks as an additional safety to insure that the cam lock covers stay closed when I'm moving down the road.
on January 8, 2016
A must have to keep your valuables secure! The bulk packs of Yakima SKS lock cores make things super easy to keep track of being that they are all keyed alike. If you have several different Yakima accessories, the bulk pack is definitely the way to go. My suggestion would be to buy a pack that has a few extras... this helps to keep things future-proof for your next toy :)
on August 12, 2014
It is not obvious when buying Yakima products that they all use the same SKS lock cores and that one can save a great deal of money by buying an 8-pack for instance instead of four 2-packs (which is how dealers usually sell them. 2-packs of the Yakima locks have cost me $55.00 and so 4 of these to get 8 locks bought in this manner would cost $220 or nearly 3x as much.

On the other hand the Yakima design for its rack mounts leaves a great deal to be desired. The locks are designed to jam the mechanism unlike the Thule design where the attachment knob spins freely. As a result the locks are very difficult to use without having the rack mounts loose or risk breaking the key in the lock.