Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on July 9, 2013
These installed easy enough, but after examining how the locking mechanism works, I am pretty sure I could still force the latch on the support tower open without any tools. The locks work by engaging a metal clip behind a plastic tab on the back of the outer cover on the support tower. The engagement is only about 1/8" and the plastic is not very thick. If someone wants to steal your rack or its contents, this will barely slow them down.

For what these roof racks cost, the manufacturer needs to include a more secure locking mechanism. This would probably require making the outer cover on the support towers out of metal instead of plastic, or re-thinking how the locking mechanism works entirely.
on January 16, 2009
It took a little time trying to get the lock into the slot correctly but once I did, it works like a champ. I like that they give you 3 keys and key sign-up form if you ever lose them. Good product. Would recommend.
on July 28, 2014
So expensive for what they are. The mechanism is too basic and feel like anyone can open this.
on March 11, 2008
Locks were perfect for my rack. Extremely easy to install in about a minute for each one.
on April 26, 2014
After years of not locking our roof rack, a friend pointed out that someone with a pickup could easily remove the entire rack, with all its contents (ski rack, cargo box), in a few minutes. For the extra peace of mind, we spent the modest amount to get these locks. They installed in a snap (literally).
on March 20, 2014
I like the sense of security but it sucks that Yakima kind of rips you off for that sense of security when its pretty easy to break the plastic covers ans steal your stuff anyway.

Nice product though, good interchangeability. Its convenient to only have one key for all the locks.

Go for at least 8-pack if looking to expand with future attachments. Not too much more expensive than the 4 pack...
on August 24, 2013
These were purchased for the Yakima Frontloader Rooftop Bike Carrier. The rack should already come with them, but I understand the added profit by selling the separately. They are easy to install and they work. Pretty easy and they do what they're supposed to. Make it so a thief has to completely remove the cross members off the car to steal my bike and rack. It's a win-win for a would-be criminal.
on June 9, 2013
I've had this product for almost eight years. I got the ten-pack. I used four on my Q-Towers that mount my bars and two on my cargo carrier. Remaining four are in reserve for future use.

It is a convenience to be able to carry only one key for multiple locks.

It is regrettable that in order to effectively use this system, you have to forecast how many lockable Yakima products are in your future and get at least that many cores (again, I have four in reserve at the moment waiting to be installed in future Yakima products).

I can't really say anything negative except that I wished that I didn't have to buy extras "just in case".

Beyond that, can't really complain.

But it would be nice if I could somehow order additional ones keyed to my existing key (i.e., which would allow me to marginally add to my system, rather than having to buy a few spare ones up front).
'Lock Cores' are a necessity for all Yakima ski racks, bike racks, etc. They come in groups of (2) two to (10) ten and they install with a breeze. You also get a key for each lock and a spare to take to the key-maker for the third. The one problem I have with Yakima is that they do NOT include these in their rack systems and they have to be purchased separately if you want to be sure your rack (and skis or bike) are not stolen. What you pay is monstrously expensive. But they have you by the cajunas, so you are stuck. In the long run, you really do need them to prevent against theft. They also are weather resistant, but I'd recommend wiping them off after travel. You also can register them on-line or in the mail to get replacement keys if they get lost (I wonder what that costs?).
on May 16, 2012
I bought these a month ago along with two "frontloader" racks. As others have said these are good for keeping would be thieves honest as they lock the knob that loosens the rack to the crossbars (if someone really wants to steal your bike they will rip the whole thing out, and damage your car). Overall I'm happy with them, two comments though. One they seem a bit pricey to me for what they're intended for. Two, when installing these I struggled for about half an hour until I realized that yakima had sent the wrong keys! This is probably rare but when you get them check that the A# etched on the lock matches the one on the keys. I ended up calling Yakima and their customer service was great. They apologized and mailed the right set within a couple of days.