Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on July 18, 2011
There are a lot of reasons to love Bootsie's Combination Scratcher. My top 3 reasons are that it's reasonably priced, that it doesn't take up any floor space when wall-mounted, and that it accomodates my large cats better than any other scratcher out there.

Most of our cats are big. Not necessarily fat, but enough taller and longer than your average cat that most scratching posts just don't accomodate their scratching needs. There are a few "extra tall" scratchers out there. About 3 years ago we ordered "The Ultimate Scratching Post", also made by SmartCat, using Fresh Step Paw Points. At 32" tall, it was the tallest thing we could find at the time, and it looked better than most scratches too. It's held up well, but it has its drawbacks. At 32" tall and with a 16" x 16" base, the "Ultimate" scratcher is a serious piece of furniture that takes up a good deal of floor space and doesn't work in just any room. At ~$50 each, buying "Ultimate" scratchers for more than 1 room would be kind of expensive anyway. And as large as it is, the "Ultimate" scratcher still isn't quite "Ultimate" enough for my big boys. I often see them with their paws extended over the top of the "Ultimate" scratcher, wishing it was just a little taller, and every once in a while one of them takes a running, flying leap onto the top of it, and that 16" x 16" base doesn't stand a chance. It topples anyway.

If this sounds familiar, try the Bootsie Combination Scratcher! When I purchased ours, I caught them on sale for just $15 each. Even at $25, they're still a lot cheaper than most large scratchers and only half the cost of the "Ultimate" scratcher. The beauty of the Bootsie scratcher is that you can mount it just as high up on the wall as you need. For us, that meant mounting it to where the top would be higher up than the top of the "Ultimate" scratcher, so that our biggest cats could stretch out fully without ever running out of scratching surface. In effect, it's even "taller" than the "Ultimate" post, but at half the cost and with no loss of floor space. And our cats love the Bootsie Combination Scratcher too, though to be fair, our cats are very good about using scratchers and aren't overly picky about the type of scratching surface. I would have been more surprised if they *didn't* like it. It's also a relatively nice-looking scratcher.

The only reason I don't give the Bootsie Combination Scratcher 5 stars is because it really needs 2 keyhole mounting points on the back rather than just the 1. I'm sure the manufacturer figured that the rubbery feet would keep the scratcher from shifting around when wall-mounted, and while that might be the case with some smaller cats, it doesn't work that way for us. When 16 lbs of vigorously scratching kitty comes up against a scratcher being held in place by a single keyhole mount, that scratcher is going to move. It's not uncommon for us to find the scratchers at odd angles on the wall, having pivoted on the single screw that holds it up. But we're able to move them back into a straight, vertical position easily, and it its credit, the assembly has never fallen off the wall!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2015
Great scratcher for our cat. She loves it. It also feels well constructed and has four rubber feet that keep it flat on the floor. The main part is covered in a heavy cloth that she can scratch and it actually appears to be quite durable.
review image
on April 13, 2015
Very well made and sturdy. Has rubber "feet" on it to prevent it from sliding around if you place it on the floor or hang it up. Very helpful to have. Wish I could've seen the back of it before buying it, but regardless, I would have purchased. I took a picture of the back so others can see what I originally wanted to see.
review image review image
on August 23, 2009
I have four cats and so far I've seen three of them scratching away at this thing almost immediately after I got it last week. It seems to be pretty resilient as well. Well worth the purchase!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2010
This cat scratcher is really well made. It's fairly heavy and grips the floor well with its rubber 'feet'. I tempted the cats into using it by sprinkling some catnip on the sisal scratching area. This unit is much more substantial, and less messy, than the corrigated cardboard cat scratching products that are out there.
on June 24, 2010
Worth every penny - this thing never wears out. The only reason we got this last one as a replacement was because our cat puked on the previous one. You can't change the cloth so we had to get a new one. Other than that, top notch product.
on March 9, 2010
my cats love it! well worth the money! I have tried all kinds of cat-scratching pads over the years--cardboard, carpet, sissel rope, and all make-shift variations of these. This is so much better!
cats love it--either lying down horizontal, or mounted to wall vertically. its sturdy, the sissel doesn't come off and make a mess, its like a tight woven sissel carpet. its easy to mount to the wall.
love it!
on October 9, 2010
My cat enjoys using this. I have it a few feet from his food bowl. He always has to use the scratcher before he eats.
on May 3, 2015
This cat scratcher is the bomb! I used to use those corregated cardboard scratchers and they shed bits of cardboard everywhere. Only one of my cats ever used it. As soon as I put this one down, the first cat was on it. I always put catnip on the scratchers to encourage them to use it and of course she loved that. Later that day, I saw the one who never uses the cardboard scratcher was actually digging her claws into this one! Both of my cats now use it often. I have had it for several months and it is still in great shape, no shedding pieces. I have it on the floor, but you can mount it on the wall. It is heavier and longer that the cardboard ones and my cats will sometimes just lay on it (no doubt waiting for catnip.) Because of the way they lounge on it waiting for their drugs, we call it the opium bed. Well worth the extra cost over the cardboard scratchers. I will buy another one if this one ever wears out.
review image
on June 29, 2011
My cat was scratching the corner of my new wool area rug and pulling out tufts of yarn (even though he and his buddy have a cat tree with sisal posts that goes almost to the ceiling...). I placed this scratcher on the rug in that corner, sprayed it with catnip spray, sprinkled it with a little dry catnip, and we were off and running pretty much immediately. They both love it, and I am happy because my rug is no longer being damaged. This product is sturdy and looks nice, too. It was totally worth the cost- way cheaper than a new rug!