Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on May 4, 2011
First, let me start with the positives. This is a great product out of the box. The plastic base, when filled with water, holds the pole and backboard securely. Metal hardware is heavy-weight and powder-coated an attractive blue color. Two screws / bolts allow you to adjust the angle of the pole (easy) as well as the height of the backboard and rim (moderately difficult). The backboard is attractive and substantial and the rim and net are high-end. This is the best basketball system I have found for a pool in that it feels like you are shooting hoops on a real backboard and not some cheap toy. It is not EXACTLY the same as shooting on an in-ground system, in that the pole wiggles a little and the backboard gives a little, but it is close enough considering you are in a pool :)

The big downside for this product is rust. I have owned this for three years and it is starting to degrade - large flakes of rust are falling into the pool and it appears that this will be its last year. It is rusting at the bottom of the pole, where the angle brackets meet the pole - even the rim is rusting (and discoloring the net). I live in Southern California where it never rains, so the rust issue is surprising. For a heavy steel pipe to rust completely through in a few years is unusual - I have steel all around the outside of our house that does much better (steel fencing, steel gates, etc). I hope they either improve the metal they use, or figure out some other solution.

UPDATE: This is such a good product that I threw out my old one (it rusted) and bought a new one. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, but after one year with the new product, there is only the tiniest sign of rust on any parts. At the end of the summer I will take the unit down, clean it, and seal any rusting areas with clear epoxy. Just be aware that this maintenance is part of owning this basketball system.
66 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2016
I ordered this basketball net for my pool and am very happy I did. We were using a little tikes toddler basketball hoop and my kids have been begging us for years to get a different one. Every time I've looked which has been a lot they have always been very expensive. After I researched this basketball net and saw that the price was less than half of what other stores were charging for the same one plus it has such a good look not cheap looking I knew it was the right choice. It came and my basketball loving son was thrilled. It took my husband a few hours to put it together and I was surprised at how large it actually is. We put in the 300 pounds of sand in the base to keep it secure and it looks and works great. My kids are on spring break this weak so it came at a perfect time. He has been playing with it for hours everyday and is do happy with the look and the bounce that the backboard gives. It really looks great and I am so happy with this purchase.
review image
on May 13, 2007
Works great. I would order it again. I will also be able to use it as a basketball goal for my kids during the pool off-season. It will take 2 people to put together.
on December 13, 2014
Looks great but it is a one season item only. Even starts to rust after a few weeks. Still fun, you just have to know that it is something to be tossed at the end of summer.

Update May 2015. Repurchased this item. The set used to come with a ball and no longer does, the instructions used to be clear and now they are misleading (no words just pictures). It didn't help that the nuts that came with the bolts were not the type that would screw all the way down. I had to go to Home Depot and pick up extra hardware to put this one together and had put 2 together in prior years. Looks great when it is up but I sprayed this one down with rustoleum clear to see if I can get a headstart on rust. Also the pole is not covered so in the past I have had rust inside it. I plan on cutting a piece of thin rubber and using a rubberband so water doesnt go down the pole and rust.
on May 4, 2015
Great basketball hoop for your pool. Having had a few of these this one is by far the best. Took about an hour to put together, but the instructions are decent. Definitely recommend.
Few pieces worth noting:
-Ball is not included.
-I sprayed mine with a clear coat rust proof sealant which has protected it very well.
-Would recommend getting a bag of sand and a funnel to provide support for the base.
on September 2, 2006
This is a great pool basketball hoop. Very heavy duty to support the big jams and it looks good.
on January 15, 2016
The backboard and support are decent quality but beware of the rim and the hardware that is used to attach/support this unit. I have had this product for one pool season and looks like I have owned it for at least 5 years. I wish the manufacturer would replace the rim and the hardware with better quality material. Would not recommend unless you plan to buy a new rim and stainless hardware to assemble it.
review image review image
on May 11, 2007
Very sturdy assembly and full size hoop. So far its been a lot of fun. I only wish they provided a drain plug for the base. You can still drain by removing the two top filler caps and tipping it to the side though.
on December 30, 2015
Nice basketball system for the pool. I sprayed all painted surfaces with a clearcoat before I installed and after several months not a hint of rust despite being outside by the pool since it was put together. I have the base filled with water and no leaks. Great for the kids and looks sharp. highly recommend and we will see how it holds up for next summer.
on July 28, 2008
We bought this basketball goal for our pool and have been very happy with it. Our son uses it constantly and it is holding up great. It was what we were expecting and we would recommend this purchase.