Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on June 27, 2010
I have bought several different filters and waterfall pumps in the past and this Decorative Reptofilter is "Hands Down" the best purchase I have made!

Had it going on a month now and the water is still crystal clear with only one filter change.

If you shut it off and then turn back on the flow is immediate (no priming).

The filters are a breeze to change.

I have it set up in a 20 gallon long Terrarium (1/2 water 1/2 land) with four Fire belly Toads. Before that I had two small Turtles in it (since moved to a larger aquarium) and the water stayed cleaner than using my Cascade 100 Power Filter!

For replacement filters order the Tetra 26160 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Medium, 12-Pack they are way less expensive and you can reuse the plastic frames from the filters that come with it.
77 comments|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2014
Bought it for $30 and came with 2 filter bags and a pump for inside the filter. The pump is small but works fine for my 40 gallon tank. You can control the flow of the waterfall if it makes too much noise. 2.5 inch long turtles had some trouble climbing up it but seemed to figure it out after a week. Very sturdy and made of ceramic-like materials. Had it in a 10 gallon tank (roughly took a third of the space) and now have it in a 40 gallon breeder. Works great for both sizes. The filter has a minimum and maximum water level marked on the sides. On a 40 gallon breeder this gives my turtles about 6 inches of water to swim in. Two of my turtles can fit side by side on the rock with space left over. Pictures are when I had it in my 10 gallon tank.
review image review image review image
11 comment|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2010
Works great. I have it in a 40 gallon tank with about 20 gal of water. The turtles seem to enjoy climbing on the rocky exterior of the filter. I was able to use the regular Tetra Whisper filter cartridges which are cheaper than the reptofilters with this filter.
on June 21, 2013
This product is really easy to set up (my 8 year old put it together for me). I love the way it works, looks, and it isn't noisy. It provides just the soothing sound of a bit of running water. I have it in a 20-gallon-long aquarium, which the dimensions are 30" x 12" x 12". I uploaded a picture so you can see what it looks like. It fits in perfectly in the corner and looks really nice. Amazon's price was significantly cheaper than what my local pet store was asking. I combined this product with a Penn Plax Decorative Turtle Pier Floating/Basking Platform, Large which is a perfect lounge/feeding area, a background cling, a screen top for the 20-gallon-long aquarium, a few dollar-store bags of river rocks for the bottom (you don't want anything that the toads can accidentally injest), a cheap plastic plant, a rather heavy rock/hide on the turtle-pier (along with some of the river rocks) for extra space to hide and decoration (the pier is still completely sturdy under this weight), and a couple of philodendron starts given to me by a co-worker. I think it is a pretty great set-up.

My only issue with this product is that it comes with a black-rubber-ring that is supposed to go around the tube that the water comes out of, and fit snuggly into place on the "rock" portion. Mine would not fit snuggly, but it still seems to work just fine. There were also a few small chipped pieces on the inside compartment of the waterfall feature when I first got it. They were not anything concerning, just small pieces that I removed before placing it in my tank.

I've had the product running for about a month now, and it still keeps my water looking great and I've had no issues.

The filters are cheap and easy to replace. I am ordering these: Tetra 26160 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Medium, 12-Pack
review image
on December 17, 2009
I have had this filter for about three months in one end of a standard 10 gallon aquarium, which houses a small newt. It's a nice way to hide the filter away, and to keep delicate amphibians out of trouble, as they have a tendency to explore the insides of dark places like filter housings.

It provides some dry land area, with an easy climb out of the water. It is also much taller than other in-tank filters that I have tried, so the water level can be deep enough for the health of aquatic animals like my newt.

It takes two standard sized filter cartridges, which are used by many other filters, so they are relatively cheap and easy to find. The top of the rock lifts away, allowing easy access to change the filter cartridges without the need to tear the habitat apart. It also has handy fill lines on the back side of the rock, which mark the high and low fill levels.

The top fits snugly over the waterfall outlet, so there is no danger of small animals getting into the filter and becoming injured. The largest gaps into the filter housing are the intake holes along the bottom of the rock, which are about 3/8" in diameter. It would be very easy to block them with mesh if you have smaller animals.

I am considering purchasing a second one for my firebellied toad habitat. I definitely recommend this filter. It was well thought out and is of good overall design and quality.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
I bought this filter after rescuing two adult RES turtles. So far I'm really liking it. I believe my turtles love it too. A day or so after putting them in, my boy managed to climb up to bask on the top and since then it's pretty much his rock. My girl's bigger, so she has her own basking dock, though she too has managed to climb on it on occasion, though I try to discourage it. I have it set up for 40 gal breeder, but plan on getting a larger breeder soon since I have 2 adults, and at times they seem a bit crowded. But as I said, so far so good. The filter uses 2 cartridges and so far I notice that they last for about 2 weeks, give or take. Turtles are notorious for creating a lot of waste, and as I mentioned already, I have 2 adults, so the fact that I don't have to change it every week as I was warned, it's great. For others it may last longer, depending on what you're gonna put in there. The motor is small and you really don't hear it, the dripping/flowing water is another thing, but by now we're so used to it,we barely register it. And it does lull every so often. Oh and did I mention it looks really nice in the tank? I have a nice plot plant next to the aquarium on one side and the leaves fall over the mesh-- and along w/ the few plastic ones on the tank itself, it really makes it eye-catching. The only thing I have an issue w/ is the Disposable Filter Cartriges Tetra provides. They only sell 3 cartridges, when this filter takes 2. Perhaps the others don't require double, so I'm gonna try the 12 pack BioBag they have here in Amazon. Hopefully there isn't any trouble and it'll save me the extra $$ I would spend buying the 3 packs.
on May 28, 2015
I have a ~5-5.5" Red-Eared Slider and like many said, this is VERY steep for the turtle to climb and bask! My turtle tried so hard and couldn't get to the top. I ended up buying Zoo Med's Small Turtle Bank Dock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000256ELM) and angled it to make a ramp so he can get up there on his own. The filter provides pretty decor but you will have to take the filters out and rinse every few days since they do get clogged. Not a very powerful filter so I try not to feed my turtle in the tank. Like many suggested, buy the Biobags which are much cost effective than the Reptofilters.

PROS:
-Natural Looking Decor
-Not noisy

CONS:
-Hard to clean especially the inside with all the nooks & cranny. Some pieces inside started chipping off.
-Maximum water line limits you from really filling up the tank-- wish this item was taller! For now, I'll try to find something to place underneath to raise it inside the tank
review image
on September 20, 2015
I got this to use in my water dragons cage as I set up a little "River" in his cage. So far it's working great and I've had no issues with it. It's very nice and natural looking and I love the trickle sound it makes. Yoshi (my water dragon) often climbs on it too which is another plus. My water line for yoshis cage barely covers the min waterline required for the filter and sometimes the dirt in the cage gets the filters clogged and makes the filter make weird noises. But that's because the water level in the filter wasn't high enough. It's an easy fix and not a huge deal. This product is very expensive in pet stores (around $60) but I bought a used one on here for $27 which is a steal!! It works fantastic and really makes the terrarium come together. I couldn't be happier. Oh and if the filter pump fails you can easily replace it buy buying a standard pump on Amazon as well. I saw that people complained that it stopped working. It's going to happen eventually. Debris is the culprit and if you're not doing water changes its going to happen sooner. Just saying.
review image review image review image
on March 11, 2009
I recently bought this filter for my 40 gallon tank. It looks very nice in the corner of the tank. My turtle often swims over and sits near it, resting her legs on the side of it. The filter is very quiet, I do not hear it at all. The water fall lets off a tranquil sound of running water. Friends and family have commented on how nice it looks in my tank and how they love the sound of the running water.

I gave this filter 4 out of 5 stars because I do have a problem with cloudy water. I change the water in my tank once a week. My cloudy water problem though could be a result of my turtles food, not the filter. I am currently working on correcting this problem.

Overall, I am glad I bought this filter and would recommend it to others!
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2015
In my 20 gallon tank its Bigger then I expected I like it but my turtles are to small to climb it haha i don't even hear it running I love that, my old filter was loud
review image review image