Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$21.99

on April 19, 2012
I just subscribed to my first Kindle magazine subscription (the Atlantic monthly). This is more of Amazon/Kindle issue however should be made known to anyone purchasing Kindle magazine subscriptions. Kindle magazine subscriptions can only be read on one device or software installation. This means if you select it to be read on your Kindle device you may not read it on your PC, Mac, iBook, iPhone or any other electronic device. This significantly reduces the versatility in reading your purchased material.

I'm sure I will be criticized for providing a negative review in the Atlantic magazine product area, but please note I did give the magazine review four stars
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2010
The illustrations are now included in the Kindle edition, and they've stopped cutting the questions out of Goldberg's advice column, so now the Atlantic is really worth the price.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2007
I love The Atlantic, so I was ecstatic when I saw it on the Kindle list.

Overall, I'm disappointed. All the text is there, but no illustrations, graphics, or charts. One of my favorite sections is Primary Sources, filled with interesting charts and maps. For some reason, NONE of these make it to the Kindle. Nothing but text. I guess it sounds immature to say, "where are all the pictures!?" But I certainly miss them, and the content is not the same without them.

But again, it is nice to have some form of The Atlantic available. I hope the illustrations are eventually included.
55 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
I was a print subscriber for ~20 years and have subscribed to the Kindle version since 1/11. Here's an updated (downgraded) review of the Kindle product, based on an email I sent to The Atlantic.

The Kindle edition of this excellent magazine is marred by numerous conversion errors. For example, here are the errors I detected in a single read through just one of the articles (William Powers' dispatch on body surfing in Liberia) in the July/August 2012 issue:

The subtitle for this article was mispunctuated and miscapitalized, with a period rather than a comma after the first clause. Elsewhere in the article, "one" was substituted where "once" was clearly intended. A whole line of text was missing: these sentences "The first gigantic wave slammed me into a sandbar. I limped back to the beach and lay on my back in the sand" appeared as "The first gigantic limped back to the beach and lay on my back in the sand" on my Kindle. That's a lot of mistakes to catch in a casual perusal of only 1085 words, and it marred the experience of reading a well-written, intriguing dispatch.

There are many other, similar errors in this current issue, along with most other Kindle editions of The Atlantic. I don't think it's too much to expect that Amazon's document conversions be checked for accuracy before being released to paying subscribers. Checking for lost text ("wave slammed me into a sandbar. I") by comparing the number of words in an article before and after conversion requires only the most rudimentary code. Selling such a flawed product is not fair to your authors or to the reputation of The Atlantic, and makes me fear that Amazon's growing dominance in the eBook market will further erode editorial standards everywhere.

At $2.39/issue, I'm paying as much for the truncated electronic version of the magazine as I used to pay (~1980-1999) for the throroughly edited, complete print edition, which, of course, came out 12 times/year. This is one industry that progress is not improving
on September 13, 2008
Since I don't get the paper edition anymore, I've been wondering how complete the Kindle edition is. I didn't really expect graphics, since most other Kindle periodicals don't have them or leave most of them out, but I was shocked when the latest issue of Atlantic in the Kindle edition had a list of the contents of the Election Special, but not the Special itself. Bummer.
on March 2, 2009
As much as I like the Atlantic, the Kindle version pales in comparison to the physical magazine. There is no reason photos, graphs and other visual elements should be left out.
I also dislike the index, which is just a listing of sections. I would much rather have a link to each individual article and a description of what the article is about. Nowhere is there a brief description of the contents of each article and the titles aren't always descriptive. Clever maybe, but not descriptive. So, I end up reading a paragraph or two before I decide whether or not it's something that I'm interested in reading. Occasionally this means I expose myself to something I might have skipped over, but I would still prefer to have some better cues.
The cost is low for the Kindle edition, but I would rather pay extra for the full experience.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2015
I love 'The Atlantic' and always read it online, so I was happy for the opportunity to subscribe on my Kindle and support them. Now, I understand that the Kindle editions have limitations and may not always contain the exact same content, so I had an open mind when starting this purchase. However, the month I got didn't include the cover story. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous, you can't skimp on the cover story! Remove pictures or other articles? That's fine. But not including the cover story is a poor choice - and for this reason I'm cancelling my subscription and do not recommend this in the least bit.
on January 27, 2008
Yep I miss the color pictures but it's still the Atlantic and with the Kindle version I tend to read every article.
on September 5, 2010
Discovered today that undelivered issues of the magazine, other than the most current issue, cannot be delivered to my Kindle. This is a problem I encountered with both The Atlantic and The New Yorker. Kindle support will issue a credit for undelivered, undeliverable issues. (You can choose a promotional credit or a refund to your credit card.) Hated to cancel my Kindle subscription and return to paper, but inconsistent delivery is not acceptable. I want every issue of the magazine downloaded once to my Kindle, or what's the point of an electronic subscription? Who knew there was an expiration date on downloads? Hope this helps.
on March 30, 2015
Thoughtful, brave & timely. I "m going to take out a regular 3 yr subscription. Especially since the NYTimes has had no direction, incite or value in he last few years.~~and NY Review of books can only be read on very long weekends.The Atlantic provides both scholarship and knowledge. It is not for the Glamour/Vogue crowd but it is extremely valuable .A pleasure to read, contemplate and find intelligent discussions of important issues.The piece on AA alone is worth the price as was last weeks impressive article on the need for an Islamic Magna Carta