Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Cole Swindell Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

Size: Inquiries - by email|Change

on April 10, 2011
I purchased the "SmartCat Kitty's Garden" original and an extra refill. The product performs as advertised, producing grass my cat loved and voraciously consumed. This is a good product; however the growing space is limited to 4 small pockets and the grass does not last very long due to the root system becoming "root-bound"; thereby choking any chance of long-term growth. Because of this fact, I decided to order Cat-Grass, Sweet Oats and other seeds in "bulk" and plant them myself...so as to have plenty and sustained growth over a longer period of time.

HOW TO: (1.)Select a receptacle, which has good drainage, and is about 3 to 4 inches deep. A square shape is best so that your cat can't tip it over or push it. (2.)Fill the receptacle with dirt or peat mixture. (3.) Spread and plant the new seeds about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep ... making certain that every seed is covered with dirt. "Lightly pack the dirt" ... don't press hard... allow the shoots access to grow. (4.)Water... (not soak)... and cover the container with a clear plastic...(like a big Baggie or Dry Cleaner's plastic bag). (5.)Be sure to use a "fork" to poke about 30 to 40 small vent holes in and round the plastic. This creates a "Hot House" effect and prevents mold. (6.)Place container where it will receive good, strong sun-light during the day and not freeze at night. In about 5 to 7 days you should experience growth.

Let your Cat have at the grass when it reaches about 3 inches in length. I lightly spray with water and re-cover the grass with plastic every other day or so to stimulate growth and peak my cat's interest. When grass no longer grows... and this will vary according to your planting and care methods... simply use new soil and replant the grass by following the above instructions. The good thing about buying in "bulk" is that you can experiment with different growing methods and not lose money while doing so...Good Luck!!

Good "Bulk" buys Amazon.Com are:Catgrass (Sweet Oats for Cats) 1,000 Seeds Bulk and: Ferry-Morse 1985 Organic Catgrass Seeds, Monida Oats (16.5 Gram Packet)
on July 3, 2010
I've been buying little disposable cat grass kits for a few years now and this one is far superior to the others. What I love most is that when the kitties eat the grass, they can't pull the container around or tip it over because of the wooden base. It's nice and sturdy. Kitties love the grasses. I paid between $1.99 and $3.99 for the disposable grass kits and they only lasted a few weeks at best. I bought this over a month ago and the grass is still growing strong, so it is a great value. I also bought some refills to save on shipping, and I'm glad I did. Out of 3 cats, only 1 doesn't eat the grass (at least not when I'm looking).

Some people have mentioned that the seeds didn't sprout and it got moldy. I had no problems at all. You need to be sure to keep the seeds moist (a spray bottle works great) yet also be sure to empty any water left in the bottom so it doesn't sit in water. If you're dilligent the first few days, I think you will increase your chances of success. But I wonder if maybe the people who experienced mold might have started their kits during cooler weather...that could increase the chances of mold rather than germination. Be sure to put in a sunny or very bright window (warmer temps) right after planting.

No doubt that I will be buying the refills for this for years. If you're worried that your kitty may not eat the grass, just buy a cheapie disposable one to test it out first...if he/she eats it, you will surely have a hit with the 4 grasses that come with this one!
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2007
I bought Kitty's Garden after I first discovered my cat trying to nibble on all the fake plants in my home. I had to spray those with bitter apple just to get him to stop. I was a bit skeptical about buying the pre-grown pots of grass from the pet store, because I bought those in the past for my gerbils and they wilted quickly after purchase. I do not have a "green thumb" in any way, shape or form (hence all the fake plants in my place), but decided to buy this one because it boasted a nice variety of organic grasses for my spoiled cat and the wood container was adorable.

I found this kit very easy to use. So easy, in fact, that I started my garden in my office and left it on the window ledge there for the first week. Of the four grains offered, I found that the barley one didn't thrive in my kit. A bit of sparse grass grew from that compartment, but overall barley was a disappointment. However, I still highly recommend this kit to any other pet owner that needs some grass for their four-legged "pet-kid".
review image
on May 8, 2009
I bought this kit for my cats after buying them cat grass at the farmers market. They went crazy for it and the next time I went to market they were out of cat grass. Coming home emtied handed was not an option for my cats!! I bought the kit and it is a no brainer. The grass comes up in a few days when put in sunlight. It takes about a week to get it up to the size for the cats to enjoy and it last about a week. It is worth it to see them devour the first blades when I put it out. My cats are two full grown 20lb kittys! They would live without out it but really like having it to munch on. The combination of oat, rye, wheat and barley must make it tastier than just the oat grass that I get at the farmers market.
on September 6, 2010
This is a great idea, well made box, and it's just perfect!

I originally started out looking for some grass seeds for my kitties since they love to munch on EVERYTHING- not to mention I always have to move flowers so they can't reach them for their safety and the plants. When I saw this I thought it was the cutest box I had ever saw then I remembered it wasn't for me rather the cats! I felt the box alone was worth the price so I ordered it.

When I opened the package I was highly surprised at how "real" the planter felt, not cheap like most things you buy. That had partially won me over already- the quality, but then I saw the handwriting printed on it and what do you know? It looks great! It has oats- wheat- rye- barley written across the top and kitty's garden below it.

The planter itself consists of the wood box (of course), an open plastic container for catching water, and a plastic container with four sections to hold the seeds. The seeds drain and the wood stays nice, everyone's happy and wins.

The soil had me confused at first because I had no idea they now wrapped soil in netting, but they do! You remove the netting and place each soil pod into a single container and fill with 3/4(?) ounces of warm water and wait ten minutes for the soil to absorb the water. You then remove a teaspoon of soil from each container (keep it seperated) and place the seeds into the spot where the soil was removed then cover them- don't forget to remove the open container and empty the drained water from when the soil was soaking.

I planted the seeds two days ago and can already see sprouts so I expect them to be ready by next week or so. Basically, as I mentioned before the box is worth the buy. I can't really comment on the seeds since mine are growing and others had problems. However, you can always buy your own seeds and a small bag of soil that you know is trustworthy and just plant them in this awesome box!
on July 14, 2006
only three of the four types of seed really sprouted. my cat loved it and munched on it constantly. however, just about a week ago, it all pretty much died. maybe my cat munched too hard? i still have the nice container, so i'm just going to get the seeds it came with and replant them in the container. maybe thats what i should have done to begin with. its a nice container though.
33 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2008
This kitty grass grows fast and it's easy. Once they stand 3 inches, give to your cat, because it will start to wilt in about a week. I sometimes use half of each bag of seeds because my one cat doesn't use all the grass.
on July 22, 2009
I bought this product thinking that my cat would love it, but unfortunately I had to throw it away before I could even give it to her. Within a day of planting, the whole thing was infested with bugs and little things flying around. At first I thought perhaps it was the location and moved it elsewhere in my home, but there were bugs there in a new room just a few hours later. Eventually I went to check the seed packets, because I hadn't used all of them, and they were actually inside the seed packets - I had no idea that could even happen. It was really gross and after 2 days even though one was sprouting, it was covered in mold. There is no way on earth, even if the grass grew - that I would risk feeding to this my two kitties.

I have bought loads of Smart cat products before, and while the others have been great - this was a complete disappointment and failure. Maybe it was a dud, but I'm very upset with the product and company right now.
22 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
I took this video right after I showed the newly-grown grass to my cats for the first time. Following the included instructions, the four types of seeds grew to the length in the video in one week. They've been enjoying it - both eating the grass and occasionally pulling pieces out to play with. The included planter is well-designed: attractive and fairly heavy.

Tip - one reviewer noted that the replacement grass does not include the instructions that come with the planter. While it's not rocket science, I will need to refer to the instructions for at least the first couple re-plants. So, to keep them handy, I store the instructions underneath the bottom black plastic container (between the black container and the planter.)

Edit - one week after posting this video, all of the grasses are much taller, thicker, and lusher. I've been adding a bit of water every day to keep it moist.
on September 9, 2010
This is a cute little planter for the cat's grass. Like several others have mentioned, though, only three of the seed varieties included in the kit sprouted. The fourth variety moldered without sprouting at all. However, the planter is sturdy and attractive and the remaining seeds grew quite well.

I'll definitely continue using the planter but I will be planting my own seeds instead of buying the company's refills, considering a quarter of their product was useless. I found out that the standard 12 oz plastic container that tofu comes in fits in the planter quite perfectly, so I'll probably toss out four compartment liner and replant more grass using a tofu container as the liner.