Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

Size: 5.5 ozChange

on January 18, 2011
I have never posted a review before, but because I am such an animal lover, I couldn't help but warn any pet owners thinking of giving these treats to your babies. I was told these treats, Texas Toothpicks, are "safer and healthier alternative to rawhide" for dogs of all ages and sizes. My beloved dachshund, Tele, began vomitting blood this past Friday. I rushed her to the vet, and they immediately took her for x-rays, as they assumed she must have ingested something dangerous. There was a huge, pointed and jagged bone fragment lodged in her upper abdomen. They feared that the bloody vomit might be due to the stomach being punctured, so they needed to do emergency surgery to remove it before it did puncture the stomach or worse. It was also clear by the size and shape, that she would not be able to pass it naturally and safely, even if it wasn't lodged. Luckily, Tele is recovering so far, but it has been hell for me (and her, of course), especially considering I, as a loving parent, had given her this treat. So, after $2,000 in medical costs, the fear of almost losing my beloved Tele and 10-14 days of recovery for her, I urge you to reconsider Texas Toothpicks for your pets!
I have seen at least one other posting about this concern with bone fragments and their small breed dog. I wish I'd seen it beforehand, so hopefully my posting will help.
1414 comments184 of 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2011
Merrick's Texas Toothpicks Value Pack (6.5 oz bag)

From the first look the cow tails are very dry and stiff, look old and are dark in color. Besides those, when my dog started chewing on it, we saw that she is spitting out these bone fragments that she can not chew on. After examining the treat, I saw that the middle part of the cow tail is just like a bone. This is a very dangerous treat for specially small dogs like Multi-poos. I usually buy cow tails from my local pet shop and have never had such problem. The middle part is spongy and easy to chew. I do not recommend this product!!
33 comments57 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
Have been a trusting Merrick customer, but recently had bad experience. Our Cocker Spainiel loves to have a chew treat at night. Texas Toothpicks were our choice. Recently was wakened by him throwing up undigested "little bones." They looked like small finger bones (four in total), from a 1/2 to 1" long. Had no clue where they came from and thought he had eaten some animal (highly unlikely). After two vet visits to make sure no obstructions were present (there were not)... i disected some of the new toothpicks. Low-and-behold... the toothpicks are filled with these small bones. DO NOT GIVE THESE TREATS TO YOUR DOGS... ESPECIALLY SMALL BREEDS. Our Cocker male is 34 pounds. Stick with Bully Sticks... much more healthy and digests with no problems.
0Comment27 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2008
I ordered 3 of these. I got 3 individual bags not 3 cases of 12 bags. I paid shipping on 3 cases 19 lbs what I recieved was not even 1 1/2 lbs. White Dog Bone claims the description means 12 texas toothpicks are in the bag. I think they are mad because when I ordered they had them listed at a significant discount and did not want to honor it. I filed a complaint with Amazon and they agreed with me.

The product itself is great. My dogs love them. I just wish that White Dog Bone was more concerned about customer service. They were very rude and refused to even talk to me exept to say that it was "Amazon's problem."
11 comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2006
I have 2 Pugs , male and female who both love this treat and keeps that busy for some time. When my vet did not reccommend the greenies I switched to these.
on June 10, 2007
I received this order so quickly and my dog loved the Texas Toothpicks.
on September 19, 2009
My chihuahua pup loves these. I've tried them out on labradors and greyhounds as well - gone in a flash (so buy in bulk or use as occasional treats only.)

I prefer to buy Merrick's treats over the typical brands in the pet supermarts - those are often imported from Brazil, and I don't trust those manufacturers.

One of these lasts for my 6 lb. chihuahua pup for 2 weeks or so. One of the great things about these, is that if you offer enough inviting, organic dried animal treats like these - your pup may choose mostly to chew approved-only materials.

The one possible downside to offering a puppy dried animal parts like this, is that my chi never would chew on a Kong after getting use to this sort of treat. He has no interest in any nylon or plastic chew, which is a bummer, because they last much longer. Oh well.
on March 5, 2007
I frist found these in Wa. state. was in Texas 4 months and could not find these at any pet or feed store so went to the net. They do not smell like other chews last a long time and digest well. My dog has never chocked on them like some of the others we have tried. He loves them.
on November 27, 2014
I am very disappointed at my Texas Toothpicks. The 12 bags I received are so small in size and circumference. The average length is approximately 3 inches long and 3/8th of an inch in diameter. Amazon needs to get a better supplier. Who can provide uniformity in this product. In the past the, the product is 6 to 7 inches long and at least 1/2 - 3/4 inch in diameter. I give one a day to keep my dog's teeth clean and gums healthy. Since the product has changed in size, they should be sold at a lower price, 'Mini' price!
on November 22, 2009
Belly loves her Texas Toothpicks! It is the one treat she never ever gets tired of. I owe it to these cow tails for keeping her teeth pearly white; the inside of the cow-tail is sort of a spongy texture and helps clean her teeth while she chews. The smell is mild and is not something I notice while she is chewing like I do with other treats. They are not oily or greasy in any way and do not soil anything if she decides she wants to chew her treat on the carpet. They are hard to find locally but I have had great luck getting them (very quickly) from this vendor.