Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on August 19, 2013
Our 14 year old lab/great Dane stopped eating her science diet dry food. She was 90 lbs in her prime. She has spinal myelopathy(sp?), and she is down to 60 lbs. She couldn't afford to lose more weight. Her disease causes her to "poop", pardon my french, randomly, as she has no control over when and where. Science diet dry food always gave her nice, dry, compact poop that's easy to pick up and flush. I was hoping the canned would do the same.
She wolfed down two cans in the morning and two cans at night. The first day her poop was a little softer than normal, but by the second day, it was the good old science diet consistency.
She's not long for this world, but she's such a good dog. I'm so happy this is something she can and will eat, AND we can clean up after her easily.
We are on the subscription, saving 15%, and it's been a Godsend. Four stars only because its so pricey. Otherwise, a great product.
on August 6, 2013
Dog ate it, but didn't offer much commentary. I believe his words were Woof. Woof. Arf. Woof. (The arf could've just been a lazy woof)
My dog stopped eating his dry "crunchy" food. It may be related to his teeth. There's no way to tell. He was not enjoying his food unless it had something (oatmeal, fish oil, scrambled eggs) poured over the top of the "crunchy food". Even though he wasn't happy with the food, he was also gaining weight.

The veterinarian suggested that I might want to try this. It was a huge success. It's easy to just open a can and put it in his dish. It disappears almost instantly and he hints around that he wouldn't mind having more. He L-O-V-E-S this stuff!!! One drawback is, he wakes me up earlier, runs outside, and comes back in almost instantly because he's ready for breakfast. I'm happy to wake up early and get his breakfast for him because he's so excited about it, a new thing for him.

It has an acceptable turkey smell. The beef version smells pretty good too. I usually can't tolerate the canned food smell, but these work for me. They certainly work for Baron, my dog. It appears to be much more nutritious than what I had been giving him. All-in-all, this is a good solution for us.

EDITED to add that Baron's coat is now shiny. The veterinarian even took pictures of him because he has lost the excess flab and his arthritis is bothering him less than it had been. All-in-all, this has been a big winner for Baron. I recommend it!
on April 22, 2010
My older Lhasa Apso is a very fussy eater. She tended to want dog foods that were not rated as good for her. I went on line and searched for healthy food and tried some of them. Until I tried Hills which she loves and begs for more. Thank you Hills for making a Great Dog Food!
on July 18, 2013
I have a 14 year old Dachsund that is finicky but keeps licking the bowl til the end on this mix. I used Little Ceasars before which she also liked but price & value wasnt there. Our dogsitter recommended SD & now signed up for the regular auto AMZN delivery.
on June 23, 2013
I have a large dog who is very selective eater. He likes Science Diet Mature Adult food, especially those with gravy. His is 4-5 years older than his life expectancy and seems to be doing well. We started him on Science Diet about 3 years ago when several of the other dog foods had recalls. We are happy to have made the change.
on July 10, 2015
The canned food has been established in my home as the perfect meal-all three dogs enjoy Science Diet and all of their digestive systems agree with it. As you may know, that's a miracle in it's own right. The poor rating is due to the fact I paid for undamaged cans and 11out of the 12 were damaged. If I knew ahead of time that some even had red stickers for damaged-I assume that it would have shown in the description and in price!
Really disappointing, Amazon.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 14, 2013
I've been trying a lot of premium dog foods with my 15 year old poodle who is rapidly losing his teeth. In an era when pop tops are more and more common this brand requires a can opener. When compared to Blue Buffalo or Chicken Soup brands the food itself is less appealing to my pets. I am sure that it is healthy, but I think I'll go back to Blue Buffalo where I can look at the product and actually see the ingredients it is made of. It is worth the difference in price to me. At the same time I have to say that this food caused no stomach problems for either of our dogs. I know that Science Diet is a good product.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thanks for your comments. We have shared your suggestion with the appropriate department.
on April 14, 2016
Have bought mature (7+) turkey for many years. In January - the name and packing changed, and the ingredients changed. It was not the same as the old food for my dogs. Now I find out the old packaged ingredients are no longer available.

So I'm trying to reorder (the updated version) what I got from Amazon in January. But comparing the ingredients listed in the picture with the ingredients listed in text on the Amazon website, withe the ingredients from the can I have - none of them match!
I'm afraid to order cause I'm not sure which formulation I will get!!!
61-Eq-oRo6L._SL1228_.jpg

Ingredients listed on Amazon
"Ingredients Water, Turkey, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Cracked Pearled Barley, Liver, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate,
Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Ingredients on actual can from January
Water, Turkey, Whole Grain Corn, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pork Liver, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascortic Acid (source of vitamin D, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate,Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid,Iodized Salt, minerals (zinc oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Mangerea Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Taurine, Beta Carotene
review image
on December 31, 2015
My 13 year old German shepherd mix was on the ID diet for GI issues, and I was looking to transition her off into something cheaper. This is the same company that makes it, so it has a similar formulation. The price here is about the same as your local Petco or Petsmart most likely (at least here in AZ), but occasionally this goes on sale for $16-18, so we stock up.

Honestly, every dog is different in terms of what they like eating and what they can handle, so it's usually worth going to your local store, picking up a few different types, and seeing what they like. But I have no issues with this food and it works well with my dog.