Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

• Pilot
  • Customer Reviews

Price:$1.99

on October 7, 2011
Never watched this until one night when I found myself with nothing to do. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I laughed mercilessly throughout the entire series. Jason Bateman is hilarious as the "straight man." It seems it was pretty poorly promoted during its on-air run, because it never looked very funny to me. More wrong I could not have been. Watch, watch, watch. You will not regret!
11 comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
Back when Arrested Development was on TV, I had no interest in watching it. From the advertisements, it seemed like a totally lame show and I refused to waste my time trying it out. However, 5 years ago, I was up all hours of the night with a new baby. Nothing good was on TV, and I stumbled across Arrested Development while channel surfing. I figured it was better than watching infomercials, so I tried it out. It was all I could do to not wake up everyone in the house with my laughter! From that point on, I was glued to the TV every time it was on. Even after my daughter fell asleep, I couldn't tear myself away because it was so hysterical! I can't wait for the new episodes and the movie to come out (seems so far away!)
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2011
Completely mishandled by FOX, from promoting it to moving time slots. Characters are instantly likable and the writing is top notch. I have watched every episode dozens of times and still find jokes or references I missed before. Easily one of my all-time favorite comedies. Be warned once you become hooked, it'll boggle the mind how this show was ever canceled.
on October 1, 2014
Saying that this show is as layered as an onion would be selling it short. Jokes are set up episodes, sometimes seasons, in advance. Word-play, puns, situational irony and hypocrisy, popular culture and historical references all commingle to create a very rich and consuming intellectual experience, that at the same time feels unpretentious and homey. It's density is such that to this day, having seen it back-to-back 5+ times, I'm still discovering new things. Like Shakespeare, writers and actors must have known that they were creating something that must be relevant and lasting, otherwise it wouldn't be so 10+ years after it first aired. It's hard to pick up a comedy series that's that old, because it ages culturally, socially and mentally. This show is a true exception to the rule.

The plot is well-thought out, never predictable and unlike other well-meted out shows, none of the episodes are just a byway to the latter better ones. The shows starts fast and it only keeps gaining momentum, building and expanding on the satire that was set up initially. Characters are well-developed and the cast selection is extraordinary.

Pure genius. This is the show that I consistently come back to year after year. It's the sitcom love of my life.
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2011
Unfortunately I did not discover Arrested Development until it was off the air, but it has been my favorite show since I first saw Tobias Funke dress up as a pirate using Lindsey's wardrobe. It is now the litmus test I apply to television comedies, and so far, nothing has measured up. We miss you, AD! Come back to us!
on October 15, 2011
I agree with David Cross' complaints to their marketing team, as Arrested Development should've been a bigger hit than it was. Its won Emmys and critical acclaim, and a massive cult following. This is the most clever show on television. It's almost like it was written backwards because all the stories just fall into place.
on October 8, 2011
It is hard to oversell Arrested Development, and mind-boggling they only did three season before being canned.
The characters are hilarious and well-developed, David Cross is perfect, but the whole cast is great. The writing is great, but best of all: NO LAUGH TRACK!
I hate laugh tracks, and Arrested Development, the Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and Community are much appreciated for not having one. The laugh track detracts from otherwise quality comedy shows.

Start with the first episode in order to better understand the characters, and you will be hooked, no doubt.

Ron Howard is perfect as the narrator. I just love this show and am so thankful Amazon added it to the Prime package. GOOD JOB AMAZON! I will likely renew Prime because of decisions like this!
on December 6, 2011
This show is great, good story line, out of control family, this show is a riot! Very entertaining and lovable characters!
on February 19, 2012
I wasn't sold on this show at all when it was on TV. I randomly caught a couple episodes when a friend was watching them on DVD. So, I started from the beginning and it is hilarious. Some of the characters that annoyed me most at the start were the ones I loved the most by the end. And when I think back on certain scenes, it just makes me laugh out loud. I am really looking forward to the cast reprising their roles for TV and a future movie.
on October 30, 2011
After IGN rated this show as the funniest show on television I scoffed at the website. It can't beat out Family Guy, Seinfeld, Always Sunny in Philadelphia and so on. Finding out that Amazon Prime had them for free (more or less) I saved myself the money and sat down and watched the show. Since then, I've watched all 3 seasons within a week or two, and it is by far one of the best shows on and now off, but soon to be back on television. Or made of film. While it's not for everyone the show is amazingly funny for those who do enjoy it. Very excited for the show to come back.