Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Size: 13.2 ozChange

on January 20, 2008
We have been feeding this to our dogs for over a year. Over the past few months, we have had a problem with the cases of Grammy's Pot Pie cans. Some cans were full of chunks of fat and a thick lard-like gravy with no veggies, and some cases were fine with chicken and veggies,etc. What happened to truth in labeling? We also had the problem with the cans being only half-full sometimes. Our dogs were getting bad diarhea from the fat in the food so we had to stop giving them Merrick.
They need to start testing their food again. It used to be great. Look at the old reviews from last year and before.
on October 10, 2007
I've been feeding this wet food to my dogs for 3 years, and as my husband has said "if you through it in a crock pot and served it to me for dinner i would have no idea it was dog food." But i am a little upset with the fact that the cans aren't full. In this last case some were even only half full. I have 4 dogs and this stuff isn't cheap.
on April 4, 2011
Please think twice about purchasing this product, especially if you have a small-breed dog. I was lured by the cute, gimmicky labeling and sold by the ingredient list, but I twice fed Merrick canned food to both of my dogs, and BOTH times, BOTH dogs were diagnosed with pancreatitis -- an illness which is dangerous, extremely painful to the animal, and which requires hospitalization. I'm not sure if the fat content in those particular cans was high, or if Merrick uses an ingredient/additive that somehow sickened both of my (unrelated) dogs, but this food made them very ill. After their second hospitalization for pancreatitis, I spoke with other folks who had stopped feeding Merrick to their small-breed dogs for the same reason -- the food caused vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in their pets.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2014
I love Merrick products, but not this one. It looks and smells awful and gives my dogs loose stools. The dogs seemed to like it (but not as much as other Merrick canned foods). I've given my dogs (germ sheps) many of the other flavors and they seem to like venison, buffalo, beef the best and it doesnt give them loose stool.... grammys pot pie.... i'll pass
on May 8, 2014
Have been getting this for my dogs for years. Recently, this variety (Grammys pot pie) went through some changes and is now a watery slop. Not the same formula. Merrick changed it and my dogs won't touch it now. Done with merrick.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2010
I switched to Merrick dog food several years ago (2007) when all the dog food seemed to be tainted with the rat poison - specificlly Aminopterin - and was getting worse by the day.

My dog is my life and I would have been devastated to know I had fed her something that would have caused the suffering and anguished death and illness that many of these pets had been forced to endure. So, I started to look around and found it appalling that there was such little oversight in pet food manufacture and control regarding ingredients and labelling. I knew that it was NOT natural for dogs who had been carnivores for thousands of years to be eating all this processed "scrap" and bonemeal - no matter how the companies tried to "re-label" it. I also though, knew how critical it was for animals to get critical micro-nutrients in appropriately balanced levels and it could be equally devastating for someone uneducated in animal nutrition to think that they could just 'home-cook' meals which could leave gaping holes in these essential minerals, vitamins and micro-nutrients; not to mention the ratios of fats, oils, proteins that the animals need. So, I was searching for a company I could TRUST!

I found Merrick and have not turned back! We have never been happier and use both Grammy Pot Pie Kibble as well as some of these canned dog food cans - though since 'we' are a small dog we use the "smaller" sized cans (cat food sized 5.5oz) The cans are ironically enough - filled with ingredients that you can read and UNDERSTAND. You can also go to their website and find out what any ingredient that may sound 'foreign' really is and why they used it - I found out they were almost always a natural ingredient that is an alternative to a processed chemical. I also found it comforting that particularly with the canned food I could open it and RECOGNIZE ingredients like a potato looking like a suprise, POTATO! Or a pea, carrot, etc. My dog LOVES this merrick food and has never been healthier! Our vet constantly comments on her blood work levels coming back at "perfect levels" and she is almost 9. Her coat is really healthy and probably what is noticed by most pet owners and yet not the most 'pleasant' aspect to discuss, is that she has almost NO gas (I don't give her much if any people food either) but when she is given other brands she can be really hard to sit near on ocassion :) . I think the phrase you get out what you put in applies here as well... I will not switch from Merrick food - ever! My only regret is that I did not start feeding my little four-legged one Merrick sooner!
on December 9, 2014
Cant go wrong with Merrick! Very good dogs have been eating it for at least 3 years now and my vet cant believe how good they look and how good their teeth look (no plaque).
on January 19, 2015
I have a 15 year old chiweenie we got from the pound 10 years ago after they took 40 dogs from a backyard breeder. She was missing half her teeth from having been bred so much. She's been on grain free dry food for many years but I noticed she was having trouble chewing her kibble. Tried several canned brands but she's a picky old girl. Found this on Amazon and she loves it. Lots of different blends-I just ordered the turducken. Got the Texas beef for my mom's little dog. I like that there are only about 5 ingredients and I can pronounce all of them. Things like carrots, peas, apples and real meat. Good stuff that my lil girl enjoys and that's good for her.
on February 4, 2014
I've been buying Merrick foods for years, starting back when the only way to get it was to order it directly from Merrick. Their foods are all great, or at least everything I have purchased. The grammy's pot pie is different from most of their canned foods in that it has a mushier texture instead of the usual chunks of meat, peas, etc. But it smells good and my two Shelties go wild over it (their predecessors a few years back loved it too). Merrick uses human-grade ingredients and has a thorough QC process. I'd recommend their foods to anyone who cares about their dog's nutrition.
on November 17, 2014
cans were dented, but not leaking. my dogs didn't care---they loved it!

See 1 answered question