Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Size: 50-watt|Change

on January 11, 2015
DANGER - While this worked great for a while (from about Aug 2014 through Jan 2015), it can fail in a catastrophic way that results in continuous heating. I've attached a photo of the sad scene I found one morning... the heater thermostat apparently failed and the water temps in the tank reached 102ºF overnight.

I suspect you'll have the same risks with ANY heater—especially inexpensive ones. Best protection is to have a thermometer with an alarm, such as the "General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer" amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9T7ZF8

While it worked, this heater did function as advertised. I've since replaced it with a different model—plus the temperature alarm referenced above. The fish has also been replaced, but it was a preventable, sad morning!
review image
44 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
Many people that are rating this product with a 1 or 2 star clearly are not using it right, saying it is going out or not heating hot enough. To use this heater properly, you must sit the heater in the aquarium water for 30 minutes before even plugging it in. This is to set the thermostat inside the heater. Also, you must place the heater set up 90 degrees or laying flat parallel with the bottom of the tank. Another reason it may stop working is, once you turn off the heater you must leave it in the water for 15 minutes before taking it out.

Bottom line is, this is a great heater. I use 3 of them total, one for a 10 gallon saltwater nano reef, one for a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium, and one to heat up my water change water. This is one of the best compact heaters I have used, compared to two other more expensive heaters. This is also definitely the cheapest place to find the heater (on amazon), in my local fish stores it runs $17. Ignore the reviews by people that probably didn't even read the instructions before sticking it in their tank and saying it doesn't work right. No adjustments need to be made with this heater and that is one of the greatest things about it also.

Pros:
Red light when heating
Green light when temperature is correct
Small and compact
Cheap price
Good quality
Fully Submersible
Heats up to 10 gallons
Consistent temperature
Rubber protects the glass heating tube

Cons:
Cannot change the temperature if desired.
1111 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
I wish I could give this product a worse score than 1 star. Purchased this heater from Wal-mart in a pinch because the heater that came with the aquarium broke (was a very cheap one) and I didn't want the temperature to drop since it was winter. Kept an eye on the thing for the first few weeks of having it and everything seemed to be ok. This week the dumb thing short circuited because it got water inside somehow and continually heated the tank. I discovered this when I got home from work. I noticed unusual behavior in a frog I had in the aquarium. On further inspection my other frog was already dead on the bottom of the tank and the water was almost 100 degrees F. The frog that was still alive was just floating in the current from the filter and had a bad fungal infection that had sprouted up overnight. Removed him to a treatment tank and did what we could but the poor guy didn't make it. This is a horrible product. I would not recommend this to anyone and I wish I hadn't bought the product because I lost 2 very dear pets.
1919 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
I have to point out that this is a very old review, from 2011. The current model of this particular heater actually has a built in shut off valve as a safety feature to prevent overheating. Additionally, very few heaters sold malfunction and those that do are generally due to improper use or lack of proper care. Please keep in mind that this heater must always be submerged, and never exposed to air while plugged in. It should not be buried in gravel or sand or having anything pressing up against it. Once a month, unplug the heater, let it cool down, and remove it for cleaning. Using a soft cloth, hot water and/or distilled white vinegar, gently clean the heater. When placing it back in the tank, attach it properly to the side of the tank, allow it to sit, unplugged, for a few minutes to adjust to the tank water temperature again, then plug it in. Also, always keep a thermometer on the tank and check temperature daily. For more information, contact the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on December 7, 2009
I have purchased 3 of these Tetra Heaters in the past 5 months, and all of them have quit. The warranty only allows you to pay shipping both ways, either to fix yours, or they will send another one. I do not want any more of these Tetra heaters, and am looking for another brand. I wouldn't waist your money.
88 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
This is a very old review, and it is very unlikely that 3 heaters completely stopped working in only 5 months so let's cover the basic use of an aquarium heater to help clarify what may have occurred. The current model of this particular heater actually has an electronic thermostat that uses a separate low voltage current to maintain the temperature. Additionally, very few heaters sold malfunction and those that do are generally due to improper use or lack of proper care. Please keep in mind that this heater should initially be installed, UNPLUGGED, and allowed to sit for about 15 minutes prior to plugging it in. It must always be submerged, and never exposed to air while plugged in. It should not be buried in gravel or sand or having anything pressing up against it. Once a month, unplug the heater, let it cool down, and remove it for cleaning. Using a soft cloth, hot water and/or distilled white vinegar, gently clean the heater. Algae, hard water deposits, etc, can shorten the life of a heater. When placing it back in the tank, attach it properly to the side of the tank, allow it to sit, unplugged, for a few minutes to adjust to the tank water temperature again, then plug it in. Also, always keep a thermometer on the tank and check temperature daily. For more information, contact the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on August 23, 2011
ok so I've had this heater for 6 months and one day i was about to feed my fish...and I always tap on the glass to get them to come to the top of the tank and I saw that some of them were at the bottom, some were just swimming in the corner, and the rest just didn't come to the top...so I was like "what is wrong with these fish"? so I put my hand on the glass and it was HOT!!!! I looked at my thermometer and saw that the temperature was 98 degrees!!!! I started freaking out...so I unplugged the heater...opened the lid and set a fan to blow on it...I got some plastic bags and filled them with ice and floated them on the top to bring down the temperature...I was doing everything I could think of...this was all at 1 a.m. in the morning btw...so I went to sleep worried about these fish...in the morning the temperature had gone down to normal...and I lost 2 fish...i was really upset...but then i realized i had to buy another heater because if I left it without one the fish would get too cold and die...so I had to go to the store and buy another the next day...anyway, the moral of the story is if you have the money to buy a better heater, please do...because if I hadn't have caught it early i would have lost every single fish...so just spend the extra 10 or 20 bucks...hope this review helps...
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
The current model of this heater has a safety shut off valve to prevent over heating. Very few heaters ever malfunction, and those that do, are due to improper use or lack of proper care, in most cases. Please keep in mind that this heater must always be submerged, and never exposed to air while plugged in. It should not be buried in gravel or sand or having anything pressing up against it. Once a month, unplug the heater, let it cool down, and remove it for cleaning. Using a soft cloth, hot water and/or distilled white vinegar, gently clean the heater. When placing it back in the tank, attach it properly to the side of the tank, allow it to sit unplugged, for a few minutes to adjust to the tank water temperature again, then plug it in. Also, always keep a thermometer on the tank and check temperature daily. For more information, contact the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on October 9, 2013
I owned this product for about two years. I thought it was really great. Kept my betta and pleco nice and toasty, until a week ago when it shorted and cooked both of my fish. I was extremely upset and will NEVER be buying this product EVER again. Sure, send it back and get a new one, but the fish are already medium-rare.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
I have to point out that this is a very old review, from 2013. The current model of this particular heater actually has a built in shut off valve as a safety feature to prevent overheating. Additionally, very few heaters sold malfunction and those that do are generally due to improper use or lack of proper care. Please keep in mind that this heater must always be submerged, and never exposed to air while plugged in. It should not be buried in gravel or sand or having anything pressing up against it. Once a month, unplug the heater, let it cool down, and remove it for cleaning. Using a soft cloth, hot water and/or distilled white vinegar, gently clean the heater. When placing it back in the tank, attach it properly to the side of the tank, allow it to sit, unplugged, for a few minutes to adjust to the tank water temperature again, then plug it in. Also, always keep a thermometer on the tank and check temperature daily. For more information, contact the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
on November 10, 2011
Got this at the pet store for my Marineland Eclipse 3 tank two weeks ago. It's about 0.5 gallons decorations/filter and 2.5 gallons water, with one male betta and two ghost shrimp. According to the tank thermometer, it's been keeping the tank at a steady 78 degrees F ever since I plugged it in.

However, either my tank thermometer is off or my kitchen thermometer is off, because when I do water changes, I have to heat the water to what my kitchen thermometer says is 76 degrees in order to keep the tank thermometer at 78 when I add the new water to the tank.

I have it suctioned horizontally at gravel level at the back of the tank, near the filter intake. I was a bit worried about it touching stuff in the tank, but it doesn't seem to get hot enough to mess anything up on contact. The ghost shrimp like to hide under it, in fact, and I know that the 76/78 degrees F range is a little on the high end of what they'll tolerate.

I'm hoping it doesn't fritz out and boil them alive as some reviews indicate it might, but so far so good! I might switch it out for a heater that gets better reviews for longevity and use this one to get my water change bucket up to temp on water change days instead.

UPDATE: So this little guy worked great, even through an upgrade to a 6-gallon tank. HOWEVER, the last time I redid my tank setup, I forgot that you have to orient this heater vertically or horizontally, but NOT at an angle. I angled it and it literally exploded loud enough to wake me up in the middle of the night. Cracked my glass tank and spit black crap everywhere. Thankfully I was cycling the tank, so no fish were in it, but holy cow, I'm glad the tank maintained its integrity enough not to shatter, or else we would have had an electrical problem on our hands. TLDR; The heater was a champ until I installed it incorrectly at an angle and it exploded.
review image review image
on April 11, 2014
I always buy these, they work great. You can't adjust the temperature, but it's keeps the water at 75-77*F all the time. Fish are happy and healthy.

I have 4 of them. I had 5, but one had gotten infected with mold somehow. Now matter how much I cleaned it, it always grew back in the tank. I chucked it. But the other four work great!

The 50-watt heater works great in small aquariums. I've used them in anything from 1-10 gallons and never had an overheating or underheating issue. The small size an complete submersibility is also a plus for small aquariums. They can lay completely horrizontal in kritter keepers just above substrate to keep them from taking up too much room. I use one in a 2 gallon drum bowl for a betta and it works beautifully.
review image review image
on December 19, 2015
Awful, just awful. The box states that this heater is preset to 78*, this is not the case. At no time did it keep my poor Betta's 5 gallon tank warmer than 67*. I quickly had to run out to my local pet store and buy a better quality heater. Don't waste your time and money.... For just a few dollars more you can purchase a better quality heater that will keep your fish happier and healthier!
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
This particular model of heater has an electronic thermostat that uses a separate low voltage to maintain the temperature. We have had very few issues with this heater. In most cases where not heating is reported, the heater is not properly sized or installed. Also, the customer may not have a full hood covering the entire surface of the tank. Additionally, very few heaters sold malfunction and those that do are generally due to improper use or lack of proper care. Please keep in mind that this heater must always be submerged, and never exposed to air while plugged in. It should not be buried in gravel or sand or having anything pressing up against it. Once a month, unplug the heater, let it cool down, and remove it for cleaning. Using a soft cloth, hot water and/or distilled white vinegar, gently clean the heater. Not removing hard water deposits or algae on the heater can prevent the heater from properly detecting the water temperature. When placing it back in the tank, attach it properly to the side of the tank, allow it to sit unplugged for a few minutes to adjust to the tank water temperature again, then plug it in. Also, always keep a thermometer on the tank and check temperature daily. For more information, contact the Tetra Consumer Relations Team at 1-800-526-0650.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon February 17, 2015
I have owned two of these heaters and have had no issues.. My first one died after 6 years but I feel for a $12 heater it lived its life.. I have now purchased another that has lasted a year and a half so far..

These heaters are very simple to use, they are not adjustable so they always keep the water around 70 - 75 degrees which is perfect for most basic tropical fish.. If you own fish that need lower temps, or even higher temps you will want to purchase a heater that can be adjusted.. The heater has two status lights on it Red (Heating) and Green (The temp is in the 70 - 75 degree range).

This heater is also fully submersible meaning the entire heater sits underwater and I have no issues with it being submersed.

I use the 100 Watt version for a 10 Gallon aquairum