Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL

Size: 3.5 lb bagStyle: AdultPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on February 4, 2015
My kitten, a seal point Himalayan Persian, is pretty picky when it comes to food. She will literally not eat food for an entire day or two if she doesn't like a particular food. With this food she began eating it immediately. I was really impressed. It has decent ingredients as well. Food itself is pretty small. Perfect for Gia's little mouth. She loves this. I definitely repurchase this.
review image
on October 9, 2010
My cat is picky, especially when it comes to dry food. She will happily go days refusing to eat anything if I push a kibble she doesn't like on her (damn torties!. I switched my cat from friskies to Hills Scienc Diet when she grew to adulthood. Then I decided to try one of those natural diets, with no fillers, and only uses real meats and blah blah blah. One she wouldn't go near, and the other she would eat reluctantly. Except the super active, petite 7lb 4oz tortie grew to just over ten pounds, waddled when she walked, because she was horribly obese, and slept 24 hours a day, waking up only to eat, and her coat was staritng ot lose it's shine. That scared the hell out of me! So I switched back to Hills. With a week, she was starting to show interest in toys again, and was already starting to lose that swaying flabby fat belly. Now she's back down to 7lb 7oz, and very active, healthy, and happy. I will NEVER switch her food again!
on January 15, 2012
I have two kittens both male persians. I've been trying different brand kitten foods, including fresh, canned, and dry. Of all the dried types I have purchased, they like this brand and the Purina One Healthy Kitten Formula. Each piece of food is small and bite sized for my kitten's little mouths. Each of my kittens are less than a year old. I like how Hill's uses a portion of the price I paid for this food and donates it through their Shelter Nutrition Partnership. I'm willing to pay a little more money for the kitten food knowing that a portion is donated to help animals have a more balanced nutrition. I will purchase this brand again.
on December 27, 2010
I have been fostering kittens for a few years now and I think that this is a great food to start out on if you have a tighter budget. I really like the holistic foods, but I think that starting out with this is not too bad. It's not as great for you kitten, but it provides all their necessities and it's not too bad of a brand. All the shelters that I have been to also use this food. I just wanted to note that the higher quality food that you feed your kitten, the less waste they will produce and the general health will increase (shinier coat and etc). I always get this is the big bag because it seems to be the most worth it and this food is not too bad when you can get it on sale. You can also buy these from your local petsmarts so I think it is pretty convenient. Remember to get your pets spayed and neutered as well!! prevent the over accumulation of strays in our shelters and stop overpopulation!!!
on August 8, 2011
This is a great cat food and my two cats have been on Science Diet since they were kittens. Though this is a great product, beware of the prices from the seller "Monster Pets"!!! They are charging $25 for a 7-pound bag of cat food, when you can purchase a 15-pound bag from Petco for about $30 (you get about twice as much for $5 more). I feel this company is being dishonest to their customers... Do not waste your money buying from this particular dealer.
on March 24, 2015
This is how I received my package. Absolutely ridiculous.
review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 6, 2015
I decided to switch my cat over to this formula.(Mature Adult) After witnessing my cat vomit within minutes of eating (a perfectly healthy cat) I first thought perhaps it was something else. But then I decided to confine her to a room, feed her and watch. she would eat a few bites, start acting freaked out, and puke. Now she won't even touch it.

After researching I found out, I am not the only one. What a complete waste of money, and I will not donate the unused food, as I would hate to give toxic food to another animal. If only I could be reimbursed for the $$$$$ in food wasted, as well as the cost to have to steam clean my carpets. The vomit was so toxic it left lightened spots on my carpet. Disgusting.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We wanted to comment on your post. We can assure you that our food is not toxic, however it sounds like the food did not agree with your cat. We could not tell by the review if you had done a transition when switching to this formula. We generally recommend a 7 day transition to help them get used to a new food. We do have a 100% guarantee, please contact Amazon about returning the product.
We would like to speak with you so that we can make a full report for our Quality Assurance department. Please contact our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-445-5777 M-F 8-5 CST.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 26, 2011
My kitten--now a hefty 11 pound slug--went through the same antics as the 1-star review written about Bean.

I couldn't figure out why our Tiki was always hungry. Why she got fat and lazy and was always panting, but never too satiated to turn up her nose at Science Diet. She was always begging for it, every 4 hours. And her litter-box smells, and the size of the poos--I swear, they were human-size! I thought okay, she's a growing kitten, she must know more than I do about her nutritional needs, so I kept filling the bowl. But she got so huge so fast that I knew something was wrong.

So I did my research and learned all about sub-standard pet food, and what cats really need. It's not Science Diet, that's for sure! Yet our local pound where I adopted Tiki insisted on keeping her on Science Diet, because "it's good for the cats and they love it". Hmmm.

I began weaning our Tiki off Science Diet about 2 months ago. It has been a long and tortuous change for both of us. I have to put up with pitiful meowing all hours of the night. Unfortunately I have to keep a small bag of Science Diet in the pantry (long story short: our other emaciated cat Tonga needs to have a small amount of Science Diet mixed in with her good Evo food to "fatten her up" with empty calories).

You should see Tiki when she comes anywhere near the Science Diet bag of food. She goes nuts, literally. She yanks at the bag, tries to rip it open, drags it around the house in her time she even bit through some plastic water bottles to try to get behind them and attack the Science Diet.

When we began this process 2 months ago I switched to Innova Evo (timed feeding) along with various expensive wet foods, freely fed. Evo is great for the cats (though Tonga, already a sleek looking cheetah-wannabee) lost weight on it; hence, the need to augment her food with fattening, empty-cal Science Diet. On strictly Evo and wet food our Tiki, too, has lost weight, but it has been gradual, as I can't do it too fast, because she is still a growing kitten at 10 months.

Sorry for the jumble of writing, but you get the point: NO to Science Diet.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thanks for your comments! We have recently gained access to respond to posts!

This is a very unusual report. We are sorry to hear that it did not work well for your cat.
on September 17, 2009
My two are now eleven and going strong. I started both with Science Diet kitten dry and they have progressed through to the Mature Adult. Their vet has always prasied their coats, teeth, and animaton.
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2014
I made a table to compare the nutritional value and price per pound of several premium brands of dry cat food for senior cats. I compared Science Diet, Royal Canin and Iams. On average, dry cat food has a higher percentage of protein than canned food. Cats are obligate carnivores -- they can live on meat alone, so a high protein diet is good for healthy cats. (High protein can be bad for cats with liver and/or kidney disease.) Animal protein yields more calories per weight than vegetable protein. Using percent of protein as the main criterion, RC Selective 40 Protein has 40% protein compared to between 27-30% from other brands, but RC Selective costs more than $4/lb.

Amazon's product descriptions are not consistent about giving detailed information about the source of the food such as meat by-products, bone meal and the types of cereals that are added. I may be wrong, but I believe that less expensive dry foods such as lower priced brands (Purina) 'bulk up' their foods with cereal. I prefer food with comparatively less meat by-products (such as lungs) because I believe those parts to be less nutritious. I believe that ingredient labels list the highest percent ingredient first so I avoided foods that list 'meat by-products' or non-meat ingredients first.

This product, Science Diet Senior Indoor Mature 11+ has 30% protein but it costs between $3-$4 per lb depending on the volume of the bag. By the way, let me hasten to say that Amazon prices change often, sometimes a higher or lower price is valid for only a day or less, so I keep items in a wish list and check its price for the opportunity to catch a lower price.

This product is a reasonable compromise at 30% protein and $3.14/lb for a 7 lb bag. It has 17% fat, which is higher than the other brands I compared, but fat is also a source of energy (provided it's a kind of fat that is 'accessible' by the animal's metabolism).