Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Size: 7.06-OuncePackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on September 12, 2009
Don't know which fish food to buy? I didn't either. So I started buying various brands and noted the way my fish and pond reacted. At first I thought "What do fish know about taste and quality? One food's the same as the next." How wrong I was! My pond is about 200 gallons in which live 13 comets, walkin and shubunkin. The largest fish is an 8" comet. This flake-style food floats, as well as all the other brands I tried. It makes it easy to observe how quickly the fish take the food and whether they spit it out after taking it. In retrospect, of 5 competing products I tried previously, the fish ate all of them but seemed disinterested, taking the offered food only because there was no alternative, not because they were particularly fond of it. Then my daughter recommended that I try TetraFin Flakes. I first bought 7 ounces, fearing that it would be "more of the same". The difference, however, was nothing short of amazing. Suffice it to say that the fish "attack" this food in what can only be described as a "feeding frenzy". After feeding this food for a week, the fish completely ignored or rejected the products they previously ate. Another pleasant outcome was the reduced solid waste produced by the fish when on this food. This seems to be much more within the capability of my "vegetable" filter and, coupled with the apparent lack of any undesirable parasites, makes for a cleaner, healthier pond.
on September 21, 2010
I bought a house last year and inherited some fish in a pond. The seller left some food behind and when the fish finally awoke from their winter sleep I gave them some of the food. There were two kinds of food--one flake and one in stick form. They didn't seem to like the stick variety so I tossed it and fed them the flakes. Inevitably I ran out of the flakes and went to purchase the same product. The Petco store was out of that brand. I picked a similar flake food and brought it home and tossed it in the pond. The fish rushed out as they usually did for food but seemed a little taken aback by this new one. I figured "different food--takes a while to adjust". The next day they seemed less interested. By the third day they didn't even bother to come out of their little cave under the waterfall. Point taken. I went to a different Petco and found the right brand and brought it home. They were a little slow trusting me but by the second feeding they were happily rushing out to eat as always. I checked out Amazon to see if it was available here to avoid the "out of stock" problem again. Not only did Amazon have it but for nearly $5 less a container. Win-win! I ordered three canisters to get free shipping and will continue to get the food from Amazon until the fish go to sleep for the winter again. Thanks, Amazon, for having the right brand for my very picky fish and at a good price!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 21, 2013
I've been keeping Fancy Goldfish for close to 40 years and if I've learned anything about these marvelous creatures it's that they need all the room you can provide, massive water changes and wide variety of sinking foods.

Here are the ingrediants for TetraFin:

Fish meal - You want to see a specific fish named such as salmon meal or white fish meal (as with all pet foods) "Fish meal" means the MFG is using whatever is cheapest at market including rancid diseased fish and fish by products.

Ground brown rice - The first three ingrediants of ANY pet or fish food should be a specific animal protien - period. Rice is a filler used for weight and volume to the packaging.

Torula dried yeast - cheap protien enhancer

Oat meal - binding agent and filler

Shrimp meal - Excellent but is only found in trace amounts in this food

Wheat gluten - The number one source for pet food related deaths and recalls in the past 20 years. Works as a binding agent and artifically pumps up crude protien percentage

Soybean oil - Few Omega fatty acids

Fish oil - Again you want to see a specific fish named like salmon. When a specific animal isn't mentioned it means the manufacturer is buying whatever is cheapest at the time. What is more, this leaves them free to use rancid and diseased fish.

Algae meal - Excellent but in very low arounts here.

Sorbitol- Artifical sweetner makes food more palatable to fish, can be potentially toxic.

Artifical colors including yellow 5, red 3, and blue 2, - Zero nutrional value

ethoxyquin. - Ethoxyquin is usually listed as a "preservtive - however it's a lethal pesticide. The FDA has banned from dog and cat foods. Studies show ethoxyquin is especially lethal to fish. research Google or simply look it up on Wiki-Pedia and follow the links to the research findings.

What is more, flake foods should be avoided at all costs. Most Fancy Goldfish especially deep chested fish like Oranda, Ranch and butterflys are all extremly susceptable to bouyancy issues and swim bladder disease. One of the significant causes of this, is the taking in of air. That said your fish are infinatley better off with sinking foods.

Much better commercial foods include those by ZooMed, Aqueon, Omega One, New Spectrum and Hikari.
on December 16, 2009
I've been using TetraFin for my pond goldfish. I have what I would call a large pond, with hundreds of golfish of all sizes, and they love it! With this bucket of fish flakes, I don't have to run to the store every month or so to buy the smaller (7 oz.)cans of flakes. I compared the cost of this purchase to the cost of buying the smaller cans and this value cannot be beat.

You will notice that in the product description, they indicate that you are purchasing a 4.52 lb. container. The picture of the product they show is one of the smaller cans. Make no mistake, you will get a bucket of fish food that would last someone a long time. Hey, extra value, you get another plastic bucket to use around the house.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TetraFin Goldfish Flakes are supposed to contain essential nutrients and extra Vitamin C for your goldfish and koi.

It has stuff in it like fish meal, brown rice, dried yeast, oatmeal, wheat gluten and a lot more.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you if it tastes good, or if the nutritional claims are sound, but the fish seem to like it just fine, and they're growing fast and have lots of energy.

We've tried a couple of other brands, but our fish are confirmed TetraFin fans.

Original music used in this video is by Peter John Ross of sonnyboo dot com, and has been used with his kind permission.

Amanda Richards, October 17, 2007
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2009
I tried two other flakes from different makers, but my fishes didn't seem to like them. Not only is TETRA POND Terafin Goldfish Flakes a great product, the bucket size is a great value. My fishes love it, are healthy and growing.
on July 11, 2009
Couldn't find TetraFin Goldfish Flakes in this large container in stores any more. Glad to know I can get it on line. Our goldfish won't eat pellets; this size makes their healthy appetites for flakes much less costly.
on February 20, 2010
A steady diet of this caused my goldfish to lose color. And I don't mean a little. I mean she went from being a gorgeous red and orange to shock white. Other goldfish in my tank also started losing colors. After inspecting the ingredients, trying to figure out the problem, I discovered it's full of fillers, and more importantly lake colors. A lake color will only disperse in oil, sucrose, or alcohol. It's also the same stuff you find in your makeup. What do you think that does to a poor fish's digestive system? I will never buy this again. Oh, and that color change issue with my goldfish? 1 year later, on a good frozen pure food diet, the white goldfish is still white, and the ones who lost some of their color, never did regain it.
on February 2, 2008
The fish love it, stay healthy, live long and prosper. We have two ponds with approximately 90 total goldfish, 2" to 8" long, some plain, some fancy. We sure haven't seen any problems with "air bubbles trapped within their bodies." The fish have been living on it for over five years, so I think it's pretty good stuff.
on September 28, 2014
I had gotten 2 goldfish and within days the water was cloudy and I replaced the filter system but continually had to clean the tank. I am a first time fish owner so I wasn't sure what was going on. I thought goldfish were filthy fish cause how dirty the tank kept getting. I finally ran out of the food and bought this and within 24 hours my tank was crystal clear! I will forever buy this!

See 1 answered question