Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: DVDChange

on October 20, 2007
I'm usually not so sappy when it comes to Christmas movies, but I loved this movie.

A beautiful woman sends Christmas cards to the troops, with pictures of her hometown. A sergeant receives one of these cards and after going on leave following a fellow soldier's death, he finds himself in Washington timber country. I loved the cute little scenes in the diner where they both find they love curly fries and the tasteful flirtations. The church scene was so nostalgic and made me want to head straight to church. The only disbelieving part was where she breaks up with her shallow fiance and he takes it so well and gentlemanly.

A Boyfriend for Christmas and Eve's Christmas are also movies I've seen recently that I'm also purchasing. Take a look at them as well.
1616 comments252 of 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2007
This is a very sweet, clean, family-friendly movie. Its one of my favorites, right up there with Hallmark's Season For Miracles - it has the same tone and theme of welcoming strangers into a family.

Cody Cullen is a soldier overseas at Christmastime who receives a Christmas card from well-wishing stranger Faith. He is touched by the card and keeps it close. When a fellow soldier is killed in an attack, he returns to the States to notify and comfort the widow. While there, he also searches for and meets Faith, but never tells her how he knows her. Through a series of events he becomes like a member of Faith's family. When his time is up, he leaves the Christmas Card with a special gift for Faith's family and disappears without saying goodbye. Faith then realizes her feelings for him and tries to catch up with him. Naturally, it is a happily-ever-after fairytale story. :-)
11 comment166 of 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2007
I watched this movie in December 2006. The Christmas Card is the greatest movie that I have ever watched. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. This family attends church. No suggested dialogue, language, violence or sex. How much better can it get. A soldier in Iraq receives a Christmas Card from a stranger and it keeps him going. It is scheduled to air December 2nd at 9 and 11pm. Dec. 7th 9pm and Dec. 25th 7pm on Hallmark Channel.
66 comments187 of 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2007
I agree fully with the other two people, a great Clean movie, no bad words, no violence, slimy sex. just a wonderful family, I hope that the people that produced and directed this movie make others like this, pleasure to watch this movie and now to beable to add to my all time great movie library I've started. Thanks for the DVD
0Comment58 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2007
I know many will find this movie a little "hokey". But since I love "schmaltz" I found it charming. Beautiful scenery (I'd like to go to Nevada City someday). Good casting. Maybe I like the movie so much because the part that Ed Asner plays (the jokester husband/father/mill owner) is very much like my own husband. We laugh ever day! Alice Evans is young and fresh -- the girl next door and the young Sargent Cody Cullen is handsome (the strong, silent type) Most importantly, I want to believe that there are people out there who know how to love, how to be generous and kind and how to make Christmas what it SHOULD be. As an "Army Brat", I am very thankful that this movie is not "bashing" our military (I'm sick of that!). God bless our men and women in every branch of the armed forces who defend and protect us -- I am grateful for their sacrifice and service to our Country. I will watch this movie every year, along with White Christmas, Scrooge, The Bishop's Wife (and several others). Good movie with a happy ending!!!
11 comment41 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2007
Watched this every time it came on TV.... my all-time favorite!!! Great actors, great scenery, great plot. Nice to see wholesome, family-type movies again. In fact, I ordered four which will be Christmas gifts. May order even more. This one sits with my TV and is watched almost every week. Does that say how wonderful this one is????
11 comment54 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2007
I loved this movie! Great message, great romance and great Christmas must see movie. There are few new Christmas movies that match the old classics. This is a heartwarming must see. And a handsome leading man!
I highly recommend this movie.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2009
This is a pretty easy review to do. "The Christmas Card" is simply the best holiday movie my wife and I have seen in a long time. Even if you're not part of a military family, this show will hit home. Casting, scenery, pacing are all top notch. And the happy ending is worth waiting for.

The main story takes place in current-day northern California where the Spelman family runs a local lumber business. Edward Asner plays the family patriarch and is just great in the part. The late Lois Nettleton is touching as Mrs. Spelman. Their daughter, Faith, is really the story's central character, played convincingly by Alice Evans. It's Faith's Christmas card sent to troops overseas that draws our hero from Afganistan to Nevada City, CA. Our hero is Sgt. Cody Cullen, played perfectly by John Newton II.

Faith already has a boyfried, Paul, whom we quickly learn to dislike. Among other things, Paul drives a black Porsche and is an international wine broker and wine snob. After several years of absentee courtship, Paul hopes to win Faith and join him in globe trotting the world's vineyards. Faith would rather stay with her family in Nevada City and work at the lumber mill.

Enter Sgt. Cody Cullen during the holiday season and the love triangle is complete. Sgt. Cullen quickly falls for Faith but she feels obligated to Paul. Then Paul proposes and Faith accepts, but later has second thoughts. Various twists and turns ensue. Unintentionally, Faith ends up in the arms of Sgt. Cullen. She feels guilty about this and so confides in her mother. She tells Faith to follow her heart and we're left wondering what will happen. In the end, Faith reads a departure note of thanks sent by Sgt. Cullen to the Spelman family. Faith then realizes she can't live without him and tracks him down.

If you only see one Christmas movie next holiday season, we suggest you see this one. It's sweet without being sappy; romantic and inspirational without overkill. And if you don't end up cheering at the end, you probably drive a Porsche.
0Comment40 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2008
The Christmas Card is one of the best movies to watch as you cozy up on the couch with your favorite hot beverage!! It is a very clean, "feel-good" movie. I borrow my sister's copy of this movie all the time, and I anticipate purchasing my very own DVD in the near future.

This film is very "Christmasey" and very spiritual. The Spelman Family is a Christian family. They are faithful, active members at their church in Nevada City. The scenery throughout the movie is beautiful!!! This movie exemplifies the importance of family-being a family and working together as a family. There are occasional funny moments as well, with Faith Spelman's hilarious Uncle Richard!! This movie also displays the importance of FAITH, which is the main character's name, and how genuine acts of kindness can be very rewarding in ways you least expect.

However, I do think that the ending could have been lengthened a bit. Although I wasn't too pleased with the ending, it does NOT discourage me from watching the film.

I hope my feedback is helpful!

Happy Thanksgiving 2008!

~Shairon Taylor
on November 16, 2007
It's such a beautiful story with a wonderful cast. I couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD.

JH