Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on October 20, 2007
I'm usually not so sappy when it comes to Christmas movies, but I loved this movie.

A beautiful woman sends Christmas cards to the troops, with pictures of her hometown. A sergeant receives one of these cards and after going on leave following a fellow soldier's death, he finds himself in Washington timber country. I loved the cute little scenes in the diner where they both find they love curly fries and the tasteful flirtations. The church scene was so nostalgic and made me want to head straight to church. The only disbelieving part was where she breaks up with her shallow fiance and he takes it so well and gentlemanly.

A Boyfriend for Christmas and Eve's Christmas are also movies I've seen recently that I'm also purchasing. Take a look at them as well.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2007
This is a very sweet, clean, family-friendly movie. Its one of my favorites, right up there with Hallmark's Season For Miracles - it has the same tone and theme of welcoming strangers into a family.

Cody Cullen is a soldier overseas at Christmastime who receives a Christmas card from well-wishing stranger Faith. He is touched by the card and keeps it close. When a fellow soldier is killed in an attack, he returns to the States to notify and comfort the widow. While there, he also searches for and meets Faith, but never tells her how he knows her. Through a series of events he becomes like a member of Faith's family. When his time is up, he leaves the Christmas Card with a special gift for Faith's family and disappears without saying goodbye. Faith then realizes her feelings for him and tries to catch up with him. Naturally, it is a happily-ever-after fairytale story. :-)
on August 13, 2007
I watched this movie in December 2006. The Christmas Card is the greatest movie that I have ever watched. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. This family attends church. No suggested dialogue, language, violence or sex. How much better can it get. A soldier in Iraq receives a Christmas Card from a stranger and it keeps him going. It is scheduled to air December 2nd at 9 and 11pm. Dec. 7th 9pm and Dec. 25th 7pm on Hallmark Channel.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2007
I agree fully with the other two people, a great Clean movie, no bad words, no violence, slimy sex. just a wonderful family, I hope that the people that produced and directed this movie make others like this, pleasure to watch this movie and now to beable to add to my all time great movie library I've started. Thanks for the DVD
on December 12, 2007
I know many will find this movie a little "hokey". But since I love "schmaltz" I found it charming. Beautiful scenery (I'd like to go to Nevada City someday). Good casting. Maybe I like the movie so much because the part that Ed Asner plays (the jokester husband/father/mill owner) is very much like my own husband. We laugh ever day! Alice Evans is young and fresh -- the girl next door and the young Sargent Cody Cullen is handsome (the strong, silent type) Most importantly, I want to believe that there are people out there who know how to love, how to be generous and kind and how to make Christmas what it SHOULD be. As an "Army Brat", I am very thankful that this movie is not "bashing" our military (I'm sick of that!). God bless our men and women in every branch of the armed forces who defend and protect us -- I am grateful for their sacrifice and service to our Country. I will watch this movie every year, along with White Christmas, Scrooge, The Bishop's Wife (and several others). Good movie with a happy ending!!!
on September 28, 2007
Watched this every time it came on TV.... my all-time favorite!!! Great actors, great scenery, great plot. Nice to see wholesome, family-type movies again. In fact, I ordered four which will be Christmas gifts. May order even more. This one sits with my TV and is watched almost every week. Does that say how wonderful this one is????
on November 5, 2007
I loved this movie! Great message, great romance and great Christmas must see movie. There are few new Christmas movies that match the old classics. This is a heartwarming must see. And a handsome leading man!
I highly recommend this movie.
on February 1, 2009
This is a pretty easy review to do. "The Christmas Card" is simply the best holiday movie my wife and I have seen in a long time. Even if you're not part of a military family, this show will hit home. Casting, scenery, pacing are all top notch. And the happy ending is worth waiting for.

The main story takes place in current-day northern California where the Spelman family runs a local lumber business. Edward Asner plays the family patriarch and is just great in the part. The late Lois Nettleton is touching as Mrs. Spelman. Their daughter, Faith, is really the story's central character, played convincingly by Alice Evans. It's Faith's Christmas card sent to troops overseas that draws our hero from Afganistan to Nevada City, CA. Our hero is Sgt. Cody Cullen, played perfectly by John Newton II.

Faith already has a boyfried, Paul, whom we quickly learn to dislike. Among other things, Paul drives a black Porsche and is an international wine broker and wine snob. After several years of absentee courtship, Paul hopes to win Faith and join him in globe trotting the world's vineyards. Faith would rather stay with her family in Nevada City and work at the lumber mill.

Enter Sgt. Cody Cullen during the holiday season and the love triangle is complete. Sgt. Cullen quickly falls for Faith but she feels obligated to Paul. Then Paul proposes and Faith accepts, but later has second thoughts. Various twists and turns ensue. Unintentionally, Faith ends up in the arms of Sgt. Cullen. She feels guilty about this and so confides in her mother. She tells Faith to follow her heart and we're left wondering what will happen. In the end, Faith reads a departure note of thanks sent by Sgt. Cullen to the Spelman family. Faith then realizes she can't live without him and tracks him down.

If you only see one Christmas movie next holiday season, we suggest you see this one. It's sweet without being sappy; romantic and inspirational without overkill. And if you don't end up cheering at the end, you probably drive a Porsche.
on October 22, 2007
I love this movie so much. I never get tired of watching it -- even when it's not the Christmas season. The scenery is breathtaking. The story is a good one for those who love a beautiful, clean romance. I, too, wish there could be more movies like this one available without blatant sex and language. "The Christmas Card" is truly one of my favorite movies.
on October 16, 2008
I adore the premise and storyline to this movie and have watched it since it came out two years ago, however I have to admit John Newton is my guilty pleasure in it....he's too adorable!

Still to be perfectly honest though, even though the story line is wonderul someone as fond of military folk as myself, I just didn't feel that there was any honest chemistry between the two main actors, though their flirtations were cutely played out.

I taped it for posterity though!