Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Style Name: 48"|Change

on June 9, 2013
I've owned the Yakima Q-Tower system for almost eight years. I just transferred it to my third vehicle (same bars and Q-Tower, somewhat different clips needed for different vehicles).

I found the installation instructions to be clear.

The installation process was straightforward and eminently "doable" by this "not-so-handy" guy.

The tower itself, and the foot, appears relatively aerodynamically efficient. The lock housing -- not so much (the lock housing is the assembly that holds the clip and the lock and has the cam that locks down the unit to the car).

I also bought the optional fairing, but have never used it. I liked the idea that the fairing would reduce wind noise and slightly increase fuel economy. But I found that I'd have to remove the fairing to attach things to the bars -- and at least some of the things that I wanted to attach were incompatible with the fairing. I don't even use it when I just have the bars up there because -- well -- I usually try to remove the whole mess when I'm not using it to even more surely decrease noise and increase gas mileage.

The round bars have been effective -- can't complain about them. I presume that they are slightly more aerodynamically efficient than Thule's standard square bars, but can't prove it.

The bars definitely increase wind noise when they are up there -- I'm even more inclined than usual to keep my speed down with the bars up there -- to keep down noise and minimize fuel efficiency decrease.

Why did I buy Yakima's system instead of Thule's eight years ago? Well, I wanted to ensure that it would fit well on my vehicle. My vehicle's manufacturer offered the Yakima rack as an optional accessory at time of purchase -- so I figured that pretty much guaranteed good compatibility.

If I were buying a system now, I think that I would look into one of the new Aero bars (i.e., with more of a wing-shaped cross-section).

Incidentally, the three vehicles I've used this on were: 2006 Scion xB (the old original boxy version), 2008 Toyota Prius, 2013 Toyota Prius.

I've used it with bicycles, a kayak, and a cargo box.
on July 2, 2014
If you just buy the bars, they will howl and you will be upset. Just suck it up and buy the fairing. The noise will stop and you won't even know you have the rack on your vehicle! They should just be part of the kit.
on August 24, 2011
Any roof rack is going to make noise. The 58" crossbars have plenty of width to make enough noise that the driver could wear ear plugs if traveling many miles. You don't need to buy a Yakima "noise reducer". Go to the hardware store and get the 1" foam pipe insulation (that has a slit down it's length). The foam cuts easily. cover the middle and both ends of each cross bar. I used the white nylon locking fastener strips around the foam to keep it from rotating on the bar (or blowing off at highway speeds).
The foam will also protect the vinyl covering of the cross bars from the sun.
on September 17, 2014
The crossbars we received, at first, we thought were used, due to the scuff marks and where they appeared to have been installed. IT was only upon further inspection that if became apparent that it wasn't previously installed, just defects from the manufacturing process - they're not amazing quality (my boyfriend, the recipient has done machining for years). For what you get, these are overpriced.

For what it's worth, as another reviewer mentioned, since my purchase a month or so ago and now, I am now informed "This product does not fit your 2014 Jeep Wrangler". Yes, it does. This feature worked correctly when I bought it, but for whatever reason it doesn't anymore. Don't trust it.
on February 26, 2014
The bars themselves are fine, but there is a hum or whine with wind noise across the bars. I have had Thule bars for the last decade, but had to switch to Yakima because Thule does not make a fit kit for the 2013 Subaru Outback (I wish they would, but too late now). The new fit kit isn't wonderful either, but I was surprised that a round Yakima bar would make more noise than a square (Thule) bar - logically, it ought to make less noise and have less drag. I got to thinking about it - those fairings to move wind over the bars - you see those with Yakimas, but hardly ever with Thules (maybe this is due to the noise issue). I will keep the bars, since I don't have a Thule solution, and I will see if I can come up with an idea to quiet them that does not involve additional investment in a fairing - but my overall rating of this is that I wish Thule had done a better job in following the Subaru market so I didn't have to settle for these noisy bars...
on January 4, 2007
This is my 2nd Yakima rack set up. My first set i abused for the last ten years. Some times loaded the roof of my jeep with up to 2 bikes a stacked canoe and kayak next to my Cargo box all at the same time. I'm guessing we put 400 + lbs. It never let me down. So if you dont know much about the Yakima systems all I can say is ya cant go wrong, The best money spent if you do allot of outdoor adventures
on August 9, 2015
Just keep in mind that this 58" cross bars do not come with end caps which probably explains the discounted price. I bought 48" before from backcountry.com and it comes with end caps so i was expecting that it would be included with this one.
on April 28, 2016
I needed some longer bars to mount my roof bike rack outside the roof rails and these worked perfectly on my Subaru Forester. I have bike mounts on the outside of the roof rails using these longer bars.
on February 10, 2011
I bought everything to install load warrior basket on top of my Toyota Tacoma. I ordered the bars first and noticed that the plastic end caps do NOT come with the round bars. If you order the round bars by themselves, you will have to buy the plastic end caps separate. The plastic caps DO come with the Qtowers.
on October 14, 2015
Yakima makes excellent products. They are pricey BUT they are covered as long as the original owner owns them. This is the length of bar a person would need to carry two Hornbeck Boats side by side on the roof of a vehicle.