Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Size: 2-lb bagChange

on December 4, 2010
I have purchased three of these now, and the quality and types of treats in the bag is really all over the place. The first bag I bought had a great variety of really fantastic treats that my dogs went crazy for. Several big chunks of snout, a few bully sticks, TONS of cow tails, two halves of a huge twin hoofer, a little rawhide, and other bits and pieces. I felt that this bag was an incredible value given the wide variety of chews, and the specific chews included (some of which can be expensive when bought on their own), and my dogs loved everything, so I quickly ordered two more. I was much less impressed with the second two. The second bag I got was almost exclusively rawhide, with a few cow ears and a cow tail thrown in. Needless to say, I was not very happy with this bag, and my dogs weren't impressed either. I do realize that you always run the risk of getting disappointing results when you purchase any kind of grab bag, so I guess that's just how it goes. The third bag had a lot of rawhide again, and also included just a few tails, a couple of small bones, and a few pieces of snout. Not great, but not completely terrible.

All in all, I'd say these are worth a try, but just be aware that not every bag is a good one. Maybe if you could find these somewhere to buy in person so you could peek inside at the contents to make sure you're getting a good bag (part of the front of the bag is clear so you can see inside), it would be a much better buy, but buying online, it's very possible that you could end up with basically a bag full of rawhide and a few other bits and pieces. Then again, you could also end up with a bag with a great variety of fantastic chews, like I did the first time I ordered this. It's all up to chance.

Edit 03/01/11: I recently purchased two more of these, and these two were just like the first bag I got: big variety, all great chews that my dogs love, and a good value, since some of the chews included can expensive when purchased on their own. Because I've been extremely happy with three out of the five bags I've purchased, satisfied with another, and only disappointed by one, I've decided to give this product 4 stars instead of my origonal 3.
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
This product is a bag of Merrick's "factory seconds", i.e. ugly dog treats! You'll get rawhide chips and chews with tears or ragged edges, beef tails that are too short or thin, and big, big cow hocks, complete with hooves. Dogs love them, and they're very high-quality treats that are made in Texas. As with all rawhide products, the treats are not suited for dogs who will chew off large pieces and gulp them down. But for methodical chewers of any size, these are an excellent value, and the Merrick brand is very trustworthy, based in the US, and as far as I know never subject to a food recall.

For reference, I have a chihuahua and a pomeranian, who are between 7 and 9 pounds. They can barely lift some of the cow hocks and hooves, but it doesn't seem to keep them from chewing them and enjoying them. I also gave a bag as a gift to my parents' 90-pound Lab/shepherd mix, and she enjoyed them as well.

Facts and figures: Rawhide pieces have been between 2x2" and 8x4", 1/4" to 1" thick. Beef tails are about 1/2" in diameter and from 2-8" long. Cow hocks are about a 4x4x4" cube.
on January 12, 2014
Usually a good mix of not-so-premium but still high quality beef and pork parts. We always get a few small and imperfect cow tails (Texas toothpicks), halves and pieces of snouts and lips, halves of ears, and croissant-looking parts of the ear where it attached to the head. These are my dog's favorite, the cartilage gets all puffy and crunchy. Usually there is also half of a smoked long bone or hoof with the ankle bones and gristle still attached. These hooves are big and stinky, and have choking-size bones inside, so supervision should be used, but all the other puffed up pieces are small enough and easily chewed and digested (not tough like rawhide) that I use them as a distraction treat to keep the dog busy when I leave the house. These pieces last my pit mix between one and five minutes, the hooves take her days to fully take care of.
If you want to be guaranteed picture perfect animal parts for your dogs, get Merrick's specifically labeled packages. But my dog likes variety and is always happy with these treats!
review image
on April 14, 2013
Bought this value pack for my neighbors dog. She loves them. Merrick makes excellent products. I also had bought these before for my little Pug. These are big so I cut them and they were a treat for the Pug as well as the Yellow Lab.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
With these Merrick treats, you never know what you're going to get. We have had split hooves, snouts, rawhide, some of everything. A few of the treats were on the small side, but our dog has loved everything that we've got from these.

You do need to understand that these are seconds - so don't expect a 12 inch bully stick or any other full sized, perfect treat. If you want 12 inch bully sticks or full-sized tendons, etc - buy them and pay the price. These treats are just what they're advertised to be, and at a much better price than anything comparable that I've found.
on February 14, 2014
You know how sometimes you buy a multi-pack of something and there's maybe one or two things that are worth "woohoo-ing" over? This is not like that. This is a house favorite. It's perfect for homes with different types of dogs; my Shepherd love the ears and my Chihuahuas love the "texas toothpicks." They all love the lung pieces. I never worry about toxicity in these treats; Merrick is awesome and made in the USA. The contents vary a bit from bag to bag but there's never any compromise on quality.
on December 31, 2014
Still no tendons after despite several attempts with this product. Bought it 3 times and all 3 times no tendons as shown in previous reviews' photos. I'm wondering if this is an anomaly or what. Pieces are usually broken and sometimes too small (near kibble size) to give as treats to large size dogs. However, there are a few pieces worth the money so it was not a total loss.
review image
on March 25, 2014
Our animals couldn't care less they go absolutely crazy over the stuff in this bag. The cats even got wind of what was in the bag and now they're hooked.

Keep your pet happy and buy yourself something nice and go with the treats that are a little "rough around the edges" your dog will never know the difference.
on April 22, 2015
Good value treats. Minimal smell.
Please see my photos for the contents of the two bags I bought. Mostly lung, puffed ears, tail tips and good meaty bones. I really like the fact that you don't know what the bag will contain.
You'll need to look a some of the treat before giving then to the dog (and during) but then you should be doing that anyway.
The tail pieces have a bit of cartilage (not bone) and my 30b dog happily chomps on them until soft enough to swallow. Might be a choke hazard for the smaller dogs.
The bones were awesome and had lots for my dog to chew on. ProTip - put a towel down as these get quite messy. Also, one of the bones was splintered on the end so I sorted it out with a pair of pliers before giving it to the dog.
The hoof tips are sharp like mussel shells so I didn't dare risk them and put them in the bin.
Apart from that it's a great product.
review image review image review image
on July 19, 2014
This is just a value bag of chews that were not pretty enough to make it into the bins were they are sold for $1.49-$6.99 in stores. I feel like many customers are expecting more than the Hungry Dog Value Pack promises. These are cheap, easy, and nice to have on hand for dogs who need to be kept busy. We keep a variety of chews, including these, for our anxious Belgian Malinois that we just rescued. It helps her have something to do during downtime, instead of pacing and chewing her paws.

5 Stars, great value at $7 a bag. Will order again!