Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on May 26, 2012
I have two female Siamese kittens who love this food. When they get into the closet where I keep it, they chew through the bag. They are mostly on a canned food diet, though they still get a little dry food each day in a food ball (PetSafe SlimCat Food Distributor Ball, Blue), and they love it. They always come running when they hear the rattling of the food in the ball (if they're not already there watching me fill it up). I have the chicken and salmon dry foods, and though they love both, they seem to like the salmon slightly more. Unfortunately, the salmon is a bit more smelly. I definitely plan on purchasing this product again.
on April 24, 2012
I just got a new kitten (ten weeks) from a shelter/foster environment. I was informed he was eating Purina Kitten Chow under their care. My boyfriend is big on eating non-processed, gluten-free products as a human and insisted that cats (he's raised 6 from kittens) should also eat as natural a diet as possible. He pointed me towards several brands that offered grain-free dry food. I picked this one for the simplistic graphics on it's packaging. Right now he is on a 2/3 Kitten Chow, 1/3 Before Grain mix to gradually introduce him to Before Grain.

When I got him a few days ago, the fur on his back was dry feeling, almost reminiscent of hay. A few days with even just 1/3 Before Grain, his fur is super soft and silky feeling. I can't stop petting him! If he has a healthy coat, I can't imagine what it's doing to his little growing insides. I can't wait to switch off the Kitten Chow for good. As a new cat supplies consumer, I'm not sure how this is priced compared to similar grain-free dry cat food, but it looked comparable. But so far, this product is great!
on April 6, 2013
Got a new cat and the vet recommended going grain free for him. Well of course that means convincing the other three to change to a new dry formula. Decided to try the Merrick Salmon flavor. May be ok, but my cat's didn't like it. Tried Salmon flavor and they could not have cared less. Pretty much ignored it. Had a slightly oily feel, nothing bad, in fact thought that might help them like it. Trying Blue Buffalo brand now with some success.

With my cats they are not thrilled with any of the grain free, wish there was a way to get small samples to try as it gets expensive buying different brands only to have them ignore the new food. Ended up giving this one to a friend to feed the feral cats on his acreage.
on August 15, 2013
Let me give you a bit of back-story. I have a rescue cat, but not from a shelter. It was a stray that was eating birds in the backyard of my newly rented house a couple of years ago. She's an average sized cat, long gray/silver hair and very skittish. I decided to start feeding her and when we moved, decided to take her with me. I don't know her age or medical background, but I know she's finicky (even though she is no longer eating birds). I've tried feeding her all types of dry cat food. Friskies, Iams, Purina, etc. She only nibbled when she was very hungry and saved her appetite for the half a can of wet food I gave her every evening when I come home from work. I stayed with Iams since it's supposed to be one of the best.

Then I read an article online about the ingredients in Iams and there were things in it that I didn't like or approve of. Then I was recommended this brand. It's not too pricey and I really liked what they put in it and the reviews. Well, apparently so does Spooky. She is eating more dry food than I've ever seen her in the 2 almost 3 years I've had her. Her coat is shiny and her eyes, I swear look brighter. I have decided to continue to buy this food for its ingredients, but especially since Spooky seems to love it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2012
I used to buy the Blue Buffalo grain-free dry cat food but my kitty, Olive, started to eat around it. I always give her some wet Newman's Own Organic cat food and sprinkle some hard food on top but she stopped eating the Blue Buffalo; therefore, I swapped to this brand and she LOVES it! I originally bought the Salmon flavor and now I'm trying the Tuna flavor. I highly recommend it. AND, with grain-free foods you will see a substantial decrease in hairballs! Which is always a bonus!! ~Heather
on December 20, 2013
This was my first time trying this product and I am disappointed at how many pieces of the food were stuck together in BIG hard lumps. My cats discarded these. I have purchased many good products and NEVER had this problem. I think Merrick needs to check the quality of their manufacturing facilities. Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo are much better foods and never have "clumping" problems.
on December 20, 2013
I rescued a dog that had suffered poor nutrition all her life and was so happy with her improvement on Merrick that I switched my cats to this. I'm sure this is a fine product -- my dog loves her Merrick -- but my cats were less than impressed. I went back to Wellness Complete Health Dry food, salmon and turkey flavor for them.
on June 25, 2013
Found this as an alternative food for my cat who was diagnosed as diabetic. While he still begs for his old food, he transitioned well to this food and is eating it regularly with no side effects.
on December 30, 2013
This cat food looked so promising, but my cat's poor little digestive system couldn't handle it. She loves other grain free fish-based food, but this one gave her a lot of gas, followed by getting sick all over the house (top and bottom end). In the 15 years I've had her, I can't recall her ever getting that sick! I gave this bag to a friend with a younger cat, in hopes that he can tolerate it better. As for my cat, I'm going back to alternating between Orijen's 6-fish and Pure Vita salmon food.
on April 26, 2013
Only dry food cat will eat. Prefers this food over canned...yes, really!!! Made in TX. Also, have not ever seen a recall on cat food from this company.