Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 26, 2012
I have two female Siamese kittens who love this food. When they get into the closet where I keep it, they chew through the bag. They are mostly on a canned food diet, though they still get a little dry food each day in a food ball (PetSafe SlimCat Food Distributor Ball, Blue), and they love it. They always come running when they hear the rattling of the food in the ball (if they're not already there watching me fill it up). I have the chicken and salmon dry foods, and though they love both, they seem to like the salmon slightly more. Unfortunately, the salmon is a bit more smelly. I definitely plan on purchasing this product again.
on April 24, 2012
I just got a new kitten (ten weeks) from a shelter/foster environment. I was informed he was eating Purina Kitten Chow under their care. My boyfriend is big on eating non-processed, gluten-free products as a human and insisted that cats (he's raised 6 from kittens) should also eat as natural a diet as possible. He pointed me towards several brands that offered grain-free dry food. I picked this one for the simplistic graphics on it's packaging. Right now he is on a 2/3 Kitten Chow, 1/3 Before Grain mix to gradually introduce him to Before Grain.

When I got him a few days ago, the fur on his back was dry feeling, almost reminiscent of hay. A few days with even just 1/3 Before Grain, his fur is super soft and silky feeling. I can't stop petting him! If he has a healthy coat, I can't imagine what it's doing to his little growing insides. I can't wait to switch off the Kitten Chow for good. As a new cat supplies consumer, I'm not sure how this is priced compared to similar grain-free dry cat food, but it looked comparable. But so far, this product is great!
on July 5, 2012
I used to buy the Blue Buffalo grain-free dry cat food but my kitty, Olive, started to eat around it. I always give her some wet Newman's Own Organic cat food and sprinkle some hard food on top but she stopped eating the Blue Buffalo; therefore, I swapped to this brand and she LOVES it! I originally bought the Salmon flavor and now I'm trying the Tuna flavor. I highly recommend it. AND, with grain-free foods you will see a substantial decrease in hairballs! Which is always a bonus!! ~Heather
on January 17, 2015
After eating Purina One for so long our senior cat's coat started to look dull. All things considered (age, health, being an indoor cat) I felt it was time to switch her diet and gave the Merrick Before Grain #2 Salmon a try because she always loved Salmon Wet Food; however she won't touch the food. The day it arrived she did eat a couple only because I tricked her into thinking they were treats but as I started to gradually mix it in with the Purina One to taper her off of the Purina One she just won't touch the Merrick. I will try to get our other cats to eat it but if they don't I will be donating it to the shelter.
on April 6, 2013
Got a new cat and the vet recommended going grain free for him. Well of course that means convincing the other three to change to a new dry formula. Decided to try the Merrick Salmon flavor. May be ok, but my cat's didn't like it. Tried Salmon flavor and they could not have cared less. Pretty much ignored it. Had a slightly oily feel, nothing bad, in fact thought that might help them like it. Trying Blue Buffalo brand now with some success.

With my cats they are not thrilled with any of the grain free, wish there was a way to get small samples to try as it gets expensive buying different brands only to have them ignore the new food. Ended up giving this one to a friend to feed the feral cats on his acreage.
on August 15, 2013
Let me give you a bit of back-story. I have a rescue cat, but not from a shelter. It was a stray that was eating birds in the backyard of my newly rented house a couple of years ago. She's an average sized cat, long gray/silver hair and very skittish. I decided to start feeding her and when we moved, decided to take her with me. I don't know her age or medical background, but I know she's finicky (even though she is no longer eating birds). I've tried feeding her all types of dry cat food. Friskies, Iams, Purina, etc. She only nibbled when she was very hungry and saved her appetite for the half a can of wet food I gave her every evening when I come home from work. I stayed with Iams since it's supposed to be one of the best.

Then I read an article online about the ingredients in Iams and there were things in it that I didn't like or approve of. Then I was recommended this brand. It's not too pricey and I really liked what they put in it and the reviews. Well, apparently so does Spooky. She is eating more dry food than I've ever seen her in the 2 almost 3 years I've had her. Her coat is shiny and her eyes, I swear look brighter. I have decided to continue to buy this food for its ingredients, but especially since Spooky seems to love it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2014
We tried several dry grain-free products for my stubborn diabetic cat, but this is the only one he will eat consistently. The vet had advised taking him off dry food entirely, but he loves his kibbles. We feed wet food during the day, but put out kibbles for him at night. After all, he can't tell us if his blood sugar is crashing, and this product stays fresh enough in the bowl overnight for his picky taste.
on April 8, 2015
This is high quality food, so superior to what is popularly advertised. Vet says canned is better but I give them both and this is less fuss: just pour it out. No empty cans to clean & recycle. Not cheap but worthwhile.
on November 30, 2013
Talk about the stink. We had to stop feeding this to our cat.

I've been feeding my 2 year old Russian Blue male Solid Gold Indigo Moon Dry Cat Food, which he loves and is an excellent food - 46% protein, excellent ingredients, etc. The only problem is that it isn't convenient to go to the pet store to buy it.

I thought I'd try this Merrick food since Merrick has a good reputation and it's affordable on Amazon because it can be bought with Amazon Prime, so it's affordable to have it delivered. (Amazon has the Indigo Moon food, but not on Amazon Prime and the shipping is cost prohibitive.)

So, I switched my cat over to Merrick Before Grain #2 Salmon Dry Cat Food. My cat likes it and eats it, but now his stool stink so badly it stinks up the entire house. It's so bad, that we cannot stay in the same room with the cat box until we scoop it. It is truly a nasty and disgusting smell. Our cat is healthy and we have never had this problem with any food we've fed him - and there were 3 or 4 different ones before we settled on Indigo Moon.

He also throws up occasionally on this food.
on June 25, 2013
Found this as an alternative food for my cat who was diagnosed as diabetic. While he still begs for his old food, he transitioned well to this food and is eating it regularly with no side effects.