on January 27, 2014
My retriever puppy loved the bacon flavored bone. He ate it in about ten minutes. A few hours later he had diarrhea, then proceeded to be up all night long, sick, until about 6am. He vomited and had diarrhea all night long. Not only did that keep us up all night, but my poor doggie felt terrible for hours. Definitely will be throwing the rest of the pack away and never purchasing again.
on September 20, 2013
The package says "longer lasting". BUT may i ask...longer than WHAT? geesh my Keeshonds both scarfed these down in less than 5 mins. I was hoping for a long lasting bone that they could stay busy with for awhile. NOT!! Thankfully its not full of bad stuff, and they obviously like them, but for the price they are, i was hoping for a little chew "TIME" ya know?
on June 24, 2013
As my title states, these 2 dog treat bones are not high quality (but really, you probably already knew that) and my dog only chewed on it twice. The first time only took a sliver off of the bone and then the second time only ate about 3/4 of an inch. It's now been almost 5 months and he has not touched it since. I am going to throw it away. Ugh.
Pro: It's a good size for a yorkie (7.8 pounds) to chew on occasionally.
Cons: ingredients - wheat starch (potential allergen), powdered cellulose (harsh on bowels, could be crushed peanut hulls, possibly contains recycled cardboard, cheap filler), chicken powder (all the leftover chicken parts that human-grade meat factories toss and then grind up and cook fully then make into a powder such as tumors, diseased organs, bones, feathers, feet, beaks...), soy flour (potential allergen).
From the Nylabone website:
Wheat starch, glycerin, Powdered Cellulose, lecithin, potato starch, chicken powder, roast beef flavor, natural bacon flavor, natural flavor, oat fiber, calcium carbonate, soy flour and rosemary oil. Vitamins: Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Biotin, Choline, Inositol and PABA. Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Manganese Oxide and Sodium Molybdate.
Min. crude protein: 1%, Min. crude fat: 0.5%, Max. crude fiber: 8%, Max. moisture: 15%, Min. Calcium: 0.1%
This is the scariest product I have ever bought for my dog. I had head rumors that if your dog was a vigorous chewer who would bite big hunks off the bone, a piece of the bone could become lodged in the dog's digestive tract, requiring surgery or worse. I wasn't worried, my dog is the opposite of a vigorous chewer, and figured licking couldn't cause a problem.
WRONG! Something in the flavor of these things made my dog start chewing vigorously for the first time in his life. As soon as I saw that, about ten seconds after he got the bone, I screamed to my daughter to grab it from the dog. My daughter is an adult, but when the dog started growling and protecting his treat (another first), she backed right off. So, I had to grab the dog, who bit the whole top off the bone in one chunk right that second. Getting the long, unbroken piece of the bone was not too terrible, but the broken-off piece was something else. The dog tried to swallow it, and I got my hand in his mouth. He was trying to keep the piece of bone and bite me at the same time. I had to try and give him the Heimlich maneuver and keep my hand from being that days' lunch at the same time. Somehow, I got the big piece of bone out of his throat and I didn't get too badly bitten.
If the dog had swallowed the piece of bone, he would have asphyxiated, no doubt about it. That this bone would break so darned easily is a crime, in my opinion. IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG, DO NOT GIVE HIM OR HER THESE TREATS! "Healthy Edibles" my left toe! Scary Bones that will Kill Your Dog is more like it.
Save your money and stay away.
on June 17, 2010
I am a big fan of treats that are digestable. I purchased this product thinking it would be safe to feed my dog. I left the treat for my dog on my way out the door for work, when I arrived home 4 hours later the treat was fully gone and the poor dog could not control his bowel movements and had diarrhea.
This diarreha lasted for 2 days, and was so bad that I had to take a trip to the vet which ended up being one of the most expensive trips I've made there yet to have him tested for various illnesses.
I didn't attribute the diarrhea to the product at first, but a week later I again gave my dog this bone treat and a few hours after eating the bone the diarrhea started back up again.
I'm unsure what exactly about this product is "healthy", and would argue against it being "edible". Sure technically you can give this product to your dog and if he eats peices it won't require surgery to remove. But you'll spend 2-3 days dealing with uncontrolable doggy bowel movements, and excessive dehydration. And if your not quick enough to realize it's this treat causing your problems you'll spend a few hundred bucks at the vets office like I did.
And don't get me started on how quickly these things can get eaten....
From now on I'll stick with bully sticks.
on December 22, 2009
If it lasted, it would be a good chew. It's a little smelly but compared to a chew-hoof it's Chanel. Puppy took it from my hand and went straight to work, and it lasted about 20 minutes. He's a bigger chewer now but at the time he was not the most ferocious, and it would last maybe 8 minutes now. No mess on the floor - little nibbled bits that stick to your socks - like you get with real bones. No loose stool either, but there were some FUNKY smells going on in his vicinity a few hours after each bone.
For a more durable chew without the stinkies, try an antler. I'll post a review on those if I can find them in my order history.
Based on the dogs I've owned, this would be great for a Sheltie, spaniel, bichon or other small- to midsize- puppy that isn't a serious chewer but needs a job to do to keep him out of trouble.