Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on November 20, 2002
When this movie first came out about fifteen years ago, my father owned a video store and every Wednesday night was "Beetlejuice" night. I'm older now, obviously, but I still cannot get enough of this movie.
Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis play Adam and Barbara Maitland, two Connecticut yuppies who die prematurely in a car wreck. Within a couple weeks, their home is overrun by an ultra-trendy New York City family, Charles and Delia Deetz, and their Goth daughter, Lydia (played respectively by Jeffrey Jones, Catherine O'Hara, and Winona Ryder). Adam and Barbara want their house back, and attempt to scare the Deetz's out of the house by wearing sheets and even by possessing them over dinner, making them sing and dance to Harry Belafonte's "Day O." Those attempts fail and enter Michael Keaton as Betelguese, "the afterlife's leading freelance bio-exorcist." The movie is dark without being scary and funny without being ridiculous.
In my opinion, one of the real gems in this film is the late Sylvia Sidney as Juno, Your Case Worker. Sidney was pushing eighty when this film was made, but turns in a great performance as the embittered equivalent of an afterlife social worker. Love how the smoke from her ever-present cigarette comes out of the slit in her throat.
If you've never seen this movie, see it. If you have seen it but don't own it on DVD, get it. The picture quality is better than ever.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I love this film. Barbara and Adam Maitland, a young couple madly in love (played by Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) discover that they are not only dead but trapped in their home as ghosts waiting for the bureaucracy of the afterlife to set them free. When a New York couple (Catherine O'Hara and Jeffrey Jones) and their teenage daughter Lydia (wonderfully macabre Winona Ryder) move into their beloved house, the Maitlands want nothing more than to remove them. The problem is, the Maitlands are too nice to truly scare anyone. They meet a rogue ghost, the ribald, disgusting Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) who promises to drive the family away, with a few strings attached. Lydia, whose goals aren't that far from the Maitlands and who has a morbid, poignantly sad outlook, discovers the ghosts and tries to help them. But Beetlejuice has his own agenda.

The casting for this movie is perfect, with only Alec Baldwin's performance less than memorable. Michael Keaton is suitably slimy and decadent, while Geena Davis plays the earnest innocence of her character equally well. The most startling performance is a young Winona Ryder, who shows tremendous range in her role as the morbid but good-hearted Lydia.

One of the most hilarious, dark scenes ever filmed is contained in this movie, when the New York couple throws a pretentious dinner party and the Maitlands take over. Director Tim Burton uses sight gags, situational comedy, and one-liners that all bear his trademark quirkiness to make this film inventive and, even years after its release, fresh. What's most amazing in this film essentially about the weirdness of being dead is the emotional drive of it. The Maitlands' yearning to reclaim their home even in death and Lydia's wounded, lonely adolescence lend humanity to an otherwise wild comedy.

I highly recommend this off-beat film for its hilarity and irreverence. Parents of young children should be warned that the film contains off-color humor as well as images and ideas that might disturb young minds. -- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
on July 25, 2009
I had a hard time finding this information when I searched for it, so I thought I'd type it up in case anyone else was wondering what comes free with your new Blu-ray copy of "Beetlejuice":

1. Danny Elfman - "Main Titles"
2. Danny Elfman - "Enter ... 'The Family'/Sand Worm Planet"
3. Danny Elfman - "The Aftermath"
4. Danny Elfman - "Showtime!"
5. Harry Belafonte - "The Banana Boat Song" (worth the price of the Blu-ray disc itself!)
6. Danny Elfman - "End Credits"
on September 23, 2006
This is a review of the 1997 DVD release- thus far, as of September 2006, the only release I know of.

Of all of the DVDs in my collection this has to be one of the most disappointing. Without going into minute detail of what makes the film brilliant- the classic score, the hilarious comedy and Burton's twisted but brilliant vision- the quality of the film transfer to DVD is almost criminal. It probably wouldn't be noticed on television screens smaller than 27 inches, but on larger screens the picture becomes soft and grainy, devoid of detail and utterly perplexing, given that the movie was shot in the late 80's. The first thought that sprang to my mind when watching it was that it almost immediately reminded me of my time in elementary school before we switched to video tape- the transfer is reminiscent of an old, battered 8mm film reel. I own a S-VHS vcr, and I have seen better film transfers on video tape. Additionally, the extras... well, what extras? There are several paragraphs of "production notes" which are basically brief overviews of Danny Elfman and Tim Burton, but nothing you couldn't gleam from Wikipedia in three minutes.

All that aside, I did pay $9 for it at Sam's Club, so the old axiom of getting what you pay for is truer than ever- but I expected so much more. If you're a Beetlejuice fan, wait for the inevitable Criterion Collection or Special Edition remaster.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2008
My one-star refers to this so-called "20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" of this hilarious and eye-popping delight from director Tim Burton.

Since the inception of the DVD format, I have been waiting for a proper DVD of Beetlejuice with commentary and special features.

I am sorry to say that this pathetic disc is NOT what I have been waiting for.

Though they supposedly have spruced up the picture, the ONLY special features are three Beetlejuice cartoons and I think some music track or something.

NO commentary, NO behind-the-scenes, NO nothing.

So -- NO sale.

I'm still waiting...
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2000
I, myself always enjoyed this movie, it's very funny and entertaining, so I didn't hesitate to pick up the clamshell edition. I guess it was a marketing plan to make the movie more for families or something, but they have eliminated all strong profanity and elements that are usually edited in the television version. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you want the uncut version, AVOID THE CLAMSHELL EDITION!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 8, 2001
I am continually amazed at the shoddy treatment that some movies get in their DVD release. This DVD is simply a disgrace, especially considering what a great movie this is. I give the movie itself 5 stars; it's a wonderful example of Tim Burton's energy and style.
This DVD has no extras worth mentioning. No deleted scenes, no featurettes, not even a lousy commentary track! To make it even worse, the film has been CUT DOWN from the theatrical release! I have never seen a DVD release before where you get LESS than was originally presented in theaters.
My advice is to save your money until somebody figures out that when a movie is released on DVD, it needs to live up to the capabilities of the medium, and should always provide more material than was originally released, not less.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2008
Why oh why do studios stamp "Deluxe Edition" on movies and then provide nothing to make it worthy of that title?????? I absolutely LOVE the movie Beetlejuice, and just about anything else Tim Burton has done. The Blu-ray version of this movie looks and sounds better than any version I've seen before. The colors are sharp and the sound is greatly improved over other DVD iterations I have seen before. The movie comes with a nice slipcover featuring the cover art in lenticular motion. That's about the only really special feature you are going to get on this disc. With it being the 20th Anniv. of this film, I thought that surely something would have been included about the making of the film, but there is NOTHING. There is no commentary track, no making of doc., no interviews with the cast.......NOTHING. Oh you do get 3 episodes of the Beetlejuice cartoon.....yaawwwwnn and the original theatrical trailer. I'm not complaining too much, because I do love this movie, and it is worth the price just to see it in High Definition. It just ticks me off a little when studios stamp the "Deluxe Edition" on the cover, when there is nothing Deluxe about it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2008
Come on now. how can you make a 20th anniversary deluxe edition without having the original version. Not to say it is not a great movie but hey there is no need to edit the movie just so you can show it on disney channel. I mean no offense but did the producers of this movie say hey why not edit it like a CD so we can sell it at walmart. Come on where is the love of a good movie.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2010
Beetlejuice has always been a family favorite. I was very glad to order this from Amazon. Unfortunately I thought I was ordering the 20th Anniversary edition shown in the picture with the special cover. NOPE.....I received just the standard Blu of the movie. I told Amazon over a month ago and they refuse to fix this ad. If you just want Beetlejuice...this is for you. If you are looking for what is shown in the picture, you won't get it.

???? What happened to false advertisement ????