Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Style Name: Clip-on Spoon/Retail packaging|Change

on December 16, 2013
My very old crock pot did a great job and I loved it. Sadly, the crock broke and I couldn't find a replacement. I bought another "slow" cooker but it cooked WAY too fast. I could set it to cook for 10 hours and the food was done (and starting to burn) after just 4 hours. It wasn't practical to leave it and go to work for the day. I kept it for a few years but it was relegated to the basement because I couldn't trust or use it. I had to get a new slow cooker.

After searching several sites, and reading a lot of reviews, I found this Hamilton Beach 33969 6-Qt cooker. I was drawn to it when I saw some reviews which stated it didn't cook too fast. The meat probe, different program modes, and lock/carry option were all nice bonuses.

I've now had this cooker for a few months and I'm working on my second round of filling up the freezer with foods prepared in it. I live alone so the 6-Qt is great for making a lot of food and freezing it for later use. Of course, the food is excellent the day that I cook it as well. I've had things cooking as long as 10 hours on low and nothing has ever burned or overcooked. The cooker drops down to warm after the cooking time has elapsed.

I've read some negative reviews (every product in the world has some of those), but I've seen nothing bad about this cooker. It cooks slow (as one would expect), it cooks thoroughly, and everything tastes great. Clean-up is very simple - nothing sticks since it's not overcooked. The hole in the cover for the probe also allows some steam to escape (it doesn't affect the cooking) so that I can still look in and see the cooking progress without having to remove the lid and release all of the heat. Programming is very easy with this cooker as well. London broil came out very tender, roasts, ribs, and chicken were cooked perfectly, sides (potatoes, mac and cheese, etc) came out great, and even pasta dishes have been made successfully.

After my last experience with the cooker which burned everything, I was gun-shy with a new cooker. I'm just so happy that I jumped back in and bought this one. Hamilton Beach did a great job with this cooker!
33 comments|473 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2009
First, I have to tell you I am a 73 yr. young widower. I finally got tired of quick meals, TV meals, eating out, etc. Soo, I finally decided that it was time I grew up and started learning how to cook.

I did a lot of research on slow cooker's and decided on the Hamilton Beach 33967. I let it set on the counter for a week before I decided to either send it back or, try it.

My first attempt was a pot roast with potatos, carrots and celery. Followed the recipie except added/subtracted sesonings that sounded good to me.

Much to my surprise, I had a VERY! tender roast with great veggies. Made enough to have a meal and freeze rest for several meals. (Wrong). I had it for supper, lunch and dinner the next day and lunch the third day.

Pot performed great and meat came out tender as butter.
2828 comments|1,523 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2009
We love this product! The features on it are fantastic. We especially like the probe setting. You simply insert the probe into your meat and it will monitor the cooking process until the meat has reached the desired temperature. It then automatically switches to a low setting to keep your meal warm until you are ready to eat. There's no guessing how long it will take to cook. Throw in a few vegetables and have a home-cooked meal with very little fuss!

Another awesome feature is the clip-tight gasket lid. It's perfect for traveling to pot-luck dinners without worrying that you will ruin the upholstery in your car from a spill.

Our family highly recommends this product!

One note of caution. Watch the price when ordering online. Amazon currently has it selling for nearly $200, but it can be found in stores for a fraction of that price--usually $50-$60.
99 comments|950 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2013
So, how does this compare with an old-fashioned crock pot? I've measured a bunch of things.

The heating ranges: The pot can be set for Warm, Low, or High. I heated water and measured both the temperature of the water and the temperature of the porcelain liner (using an infrared thermometer)

Old-fashioned crock pot: Warm: n/a. Low: Pot=180, Contents=150; High: Pot=260, Contents=205 (simmer)
This pot: Warm: Pot=165, Contents=145; Low: Pot=215, Contents=170; High: Pot=245, Contents=205 (simmer)

The Probe: A great feature. You can tell the pot to turn itself down to Warm once the probe reaches a set temperature. You can set the desired temperature between 140 and 180 in 5 degree increments. But you cannot use this for sous vide cooking: once the probe reaches the desired temp, the pot resets itself to Warm: It does NOT try to maintain the temp.

The Timer: You can set cooking time for Low or High of from 30 minutes to 12 hours in half-hour increments.

The Lid: The lock-down lid is a great feature and it works well. Some folks have commented that the gasket gives off an odor, and we found that to be true for the first couple of hours.
1010 comments|499 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
After much research and reading of reviews on Amazon, I decided to buy this slow cooker as my first. So far we have used it a handful of times , each time netting us GREAT results. We have cooked using all the settings, including the probe setting. That in particular was eye opening, for we learned that a Boston Butt cooked on HIGH will be cooked to temperature in less than 2 hours. So this slow cooker gets hot! Calibrate your recipes when you first get your slow cooker so as to determine how long each will take. This goes for any slow cooker you end up with, not just this one.

I was worried that the slow cooker would be too big for our family (2 adults, 2 small children). I needn't have worried. It's the perfect capacity for a dinner plus one night's leftovers.

Why did I pick this model instead of the other Hamilton-Beach with a lot more reviews? Because I saw the higher model number on this one and hoped that it meant that this model is the newest one. So far I've had none of the problems people have described in the reviews for the other product, so I'd say it was a good gamble. I will update this review if the situation changes.
1111 comments|442 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2010
I had been debating buying this slow cooker for several weeks. It has all the features that I was looking for, did well in consumer tests, was priced right, and had a fair number of glowing reviews.

The only thing that gave me pause was that many of the negative reviews all stated the exact same problem, which was that the cooker would sometimes switch itself completely off for no reason. This of course was a very big concern.

I decided to take a chance and buy it anyway, secretly hoping that others has just received a batch of duds and/or that Hamilton Beach had corrected the problem.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. The very first time I used the cooker to make a chicken and vegetable dish the slow cooker shut itself off completely approximately 3 hours into cooking for no reason. It wasn't overfilled and it was plugged in correctly. Fortunately, I was at home that day so I was able to turn it back on within a few minutes.

I promptly returned it for a refund and bought the Cuisinart PSC-400 4 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Brushed Stainless Steel instead which has worked like a dream, doesn't take up as much space on the counter and is the perfect size for my family of four.

Buyer beware. Hamilton Beach knows that their cooker has this problem but they have no plans to fit it.

FYI:

While the snap shut lid on the Hamilton Beach is an attractive feature, I found it a bit cumbersome to lock and unlock.
5757 comments|974 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
I used this crockpot sparingly for about 9 months and was overall happy with its performance. One day I plugged it in and though all the lights were on and it looked like it was working it just wouldn't heat up. There is a 1-yr warranty on the device, so I called Hamilton Beach to put in a request for warranty replacement and that was when the run-around began! I ultimately called and/or emailed at least 8 times and got different information almost every time. I was finally told that they had all they needed and a new unit would be shipped to me. After a couple of weeks with nothing showing up, I called back and it turns out that they were waiting on me to make a payment for shipping of the new unit. While I generally think it is lame that I am responsible for shipping when the faulty unit was still under warranty, I was more upset that no one had bothered to contact me to let me know that they in fact still needed something from me. I told Hamilton Beach that I would be posting negative reviews on Amazon, etc and after a few weeks with no response, here I am. I have my new unit and I am hopeful it will last longer than the first one, but I am not planning on buying future Hamilton Beach products.
55 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2008
I love this crock pot. It has two outstanding features that the others don't--The snap on lid and the "keep warm" feature. In the past I have used crock pots that would cook with the setting of a manual dial. This new Hamilton Beech model cooks for as long as it is programmed and then it will keep the food warm until you are ready to eat. That's a great feature for those days when you're running late for dinner! Plus there's the great new lid that means you can take hot dishes anywhere without a spill or leak. Outstanding product!
66 comments|485 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
Just came home tonight and found the lid to my crock pot completely cracked and a hole near the handle where glass had fallen into my food! I have usd this maybe 5 times since I bought it in December as a gift for myself! I am trying to upload a photo!
review image
33 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2010
I've owned this slow cooker for about 4 months now. I've used it about 12 times. Had I reviewed this a couple months ago, it would have been a glowing 5 star review. However, due to what's happened this very evening, I no longer have such confidence it this item.

Today is probably about the 12th or so time I've used this. I'm making pot roast, which I've made MANY times before, in this very slow cooker. I have it plugged into the same outlet on my kitchen counter that I ALWAYS plug it into. At 10:30 this morning I set it to cook for 9 hours on low. I set it the same way I always do, yet today, the machine randomly shut itself off. When? I have no clue! About 2:30pm I went out there to get a drink, happened to glance at the cooker and saw it was completely off! What the $@&#?! So...I set it AGAIN, this time for 6 hours on low. Just went out to the kitchen (it's now 6:30pm) and it was AGAIN shut off!!

Before purchasing this, I came here to Amazon and read all the reviews. I saw the reviews where people said theirs had shut off while cooking, but there were SO MANY positive reviews that I figured maybe they just had faulty units. I REALLY wish I had listened. I'm a stay at home mom, so on days I decide to use this, I have the luxury of being able to periodically make sure the cooker is still on (something I should NOT have to do!!!), however for those who set this then leave for work, they have to just HOPE the thing stays on. Well folks, hope isn't gonna cook your dinner. I say STAY AWAY! This thing worked beautifully for 4 months, then all of a sudden decided to crap out on me. Not sure why, but for the cost, I expected to get MUCH more then 4 months of use. VERY disappointing.
44 comments|257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse