Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon September 29, 2003
Disney's The Lion King is finally available on DVD. Considered the cream of the crop of all the Disney animated features by many, it is definitely worth owning. I don't think I'll go into the story, which I'm sure most of you know. Chances are you've already seen the movie and are just waiting to own it on a piece of media that won't rot like your VHS tape that probably fell apart by now. Even if Disney released a sub par release of this movie, you'd buy it.
Luckily, this is one of the best releases ever.
Video and Audio is supreme in this release. Especially vibrant is the 5.1 sound. Of all the older Disney releases, this one benefits the most I think, with the powerful music and sound effects present in this release. Hearing James Earl Jones as Mufasa blaring in thunderous 5.1 sound is quite amazing. Likewise the excellent music, such as the opening Circle of Life. Present in this release is the original theatrical version as well as a version with new music/song. I actually didn't care for the new song, but some may. The extras are quite numerous, contained on a second DVD and are mentioned in Amazon's product details...I haven't had the time to go through them yet, so I cannot comment on the extras. I just watched the movie again. To be honest, the movie would be worth it as a single disc release so I'm happy as it is.
Some interesting trivia for some of the people who are not aware of it is that The Lion King seemed to be heavily "influenced" by an old Japanese anime, Kimba The White Lion. Those wishing to see the "similarities" would do well to check out that series as it has also been released on DVD. Carbon copying aside, I do love the Lion King. It still manages to grab you whether you are 4 years old or 40. Two thumbs up!!
2121 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 1999
After the movie Little Mermaid came out, Disney would make 3 other animated masterpieces: Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King, that would change the way we looked at animated films, somthing new, something wonderful.But of all these 4 great animated films, in my opinion The Lion King was the greatest. The music was just, beautiful, and Scar was probably the most EVIL Disney villain the was ever drawn on a piece of paper.You hated him, but you almost liked him, because he was so great. But probably the best part of the movie was Simba's pal's Pumbaa and Timon, the BEST Disney characters EVER!!! The scene where Timon was doing the hula, I thought I was going to die from laughing. Anybody from toddler to 10 year old to 60 year from boy to old woman to teenager and so forth will, without a doubt, LOVE this movie, everyone.
11 comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2011
I own a quite a few 3D movies, so perhaps my expectations were too high, but despite some stellar reviews on the 3D on this product by some other reviewers, I have to tell you the quality is FAR less than made-for-3D movies such as Despicable Me.

Do you remember those "3D" games/cartoons where the "3D" effect as you were supposedly either walking, or in a car, going along the road was the part closest to you moved slow, then there was a part in the middle that moved a bit faster, and then the part near the top of the screen moved the fastest? This is only a step above that. It is more like layered 2D images than true 3D. Yes, there are a few parts where true 3D is apparent, but those are few and far between.

Sorry, I can't help but think that some of the people have either let their love of the movie color their perception of what good 3D looks like, or they simply do not have many 3D movies to compare to.

I actually found the 2D blu-ray disc, or even the regular dvd more appealing, or at least less distracting. One thing I noticed in all three versions that I didn't notice before was that the grass in the movie doesn't move when the animals walk through it. Although I didn't pick up on this when I saw the movie when it first came out, it was one of the things that was painfully apparent in the 3D, and far less apparent in the 2D versions.

And, yes, I know there are people that will disagree with me and mark my review as "not helpful", but I have to call it as I see it.
77 comments| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2015
The Lion King [Blu-ray] [UK Import] works great on my PS3 (in the US). Great quality. Disappointed just because it ONLY includes the Blu-Ray disc. There is no regular DVD copy in the package so I can only watch this on my PS3 or a Blu-Ray player. For this price I wouldve expected a Blu-Ray + regular disc. Overall though Im happy with the Blu Ray disc and my 2 year old loves the movie.
on April 18, 2009
The Lion King began as a B project at Disney Animation Studios where everywhere wanted to work at the next "hit" Pocahontas. Who would have known that it will become the highest grossing tradional animated film of all time? Who would have known it would win two oscars and three golden globes? Even more important, who would have known than this supposedly secondary project will become one of Disney's most treasured films and the epitome of the Disney Renaissance? Well that's because The Lion King is not your usual regular animated film. It's one of the best animated films ever made with a complex and great story, unforgettable characters, a superb score and great music that elevates it and proudly stands with the best films ever made.

I got to know the movie in my chiildhood when I was 4 years old and since then, The Lion King has been one of my favorite films. From its glourious beginning (which by the way I think is the best opening ever) to its final battle and resolution, the movie provides top-notch entertainment to everyone. The characters are great and stays with you and the film showcases one of the best villains that had graced the screen. Hans Zimmer score aided by Lebo M., is amazing, it just envelops you in the film's atmosphere and never let you go until the magnificent finale.

Finally, this classic has made its long awaited Blu-ray debut in Disney's premium Diamond Line and the results are spectacular!!

Video & Audio
WOW!! The Lion King looks absolutely breathtaking on HD. The transfer is immaculate with vivid colors, strong detail and amazing contrast. You will be amazed by how clear is the image and you'll discover new things that you have never seen.

The 7.1 DTS-HD MA is as strong and superb as its video counterpart. The sound is bombastic and really strong. Dialogue is clear and wait 'till you see the opening scene and you will be completely in awe. An amazing audio presentation.

Bonus Features
While this set is not as loaded as previous Diamond films like Beauty or Sniw White, there are still plenty of interesting stuff to watch.

"Disney Second Screen" allows you to sync the film with your ipad or laptop in order to see galleries, games, storyboards and more. While this is nice is does not work as good as it sounds.

You also have an audiocommentary with producer Don Hahn and directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff which is interesting to watch.

"Pride of The Lion King", which is the best bonus in this set, is a retrospective documentary about the production of the film. Many of the people involved share their thoughts of what the film meant to them and also how thd Broadway musical came to be. A must see!!

"The Lion King: A memoir- Don Hahn" Is a retrospective look by the producer whonlooks back at him in 1994 and how The Lion King came to be. Another must-see!!

"Deleted and alternate scenes" feature five deleted scenes introduced by the directors.

"The Morning Report" is a fully animated scene that was inserted in the film in the Platinum DVD but it now appears on its own. I think that is good because I did not like it at all.

"Bloopers & Outtakes" is a newly-created setof bloopers featuring the characters evocating the Pixar films. While this are funny, they are not as funny as the Pixar ones.

"Interactive Art Gallery" is a great compilation of character design images, storyboards, development, etc.

"Sing along mode" is the usual karaoke-like feature where you can sing the film songs.

"Disney's Virtual Vault" is the highly impractical online feature that houses all the material from the Platinum DVD. At least they included the material.

This set is the two disc BD/DVD combo which I think is the ideal release without paying for a gimmicky format and a pointless conversion.

A DVD copy is also included.

Closing Thoughts
The Lion King is a masterpiece and one of the best animated films ever made. Dealing with themes like death, loss, guilt, responsibility, love, family and more, this film stands tall as one of Disney's best films. This BD set is a perfect way to enjoy it with spectacular picture & sound and plenty of great bonus features that makes it one the best BD sets and is Very Highly Recommended!!
review image
on October 4, 2015
I love The Lion King, it's one of my all-time favorite Disney movies, I've owned it on VHS and DVD so I think that gives you a clear idea where I stand. Enough here has been written about the movie itself, so I want to draw my focus on the Blu-ray.

This disc was produced in 2011, and studios were still experimenting in some ways with the Blu-ray format. One of these was "BD-Live", a means of storing extra features (usually archived from previous home video releases) on a cloud server that consumers could access with a Blu-ray player and an internet connection. This disc advertises BD-Live capability for the original extras on the first DVD release.

Now, here's the problem: For reasons unknown to me, BD-Live has pretty much been discontinued. You try to access the BD-Live extras and you get a message saying they're unavailable (even with an internet connection). Although I love the movie, and can appreciate the upgrade in picture quality and sound, I know this is an issue that would annoy some collectors, especially since this movie is "in the Disney vault" (Google it) as of this review. If the movie is still meaningful to you and the extras are no big deal, it's still a worthy purchase. Other serious collectors may wish to steer clear until the next home-video release as they're not getting the full package, even after possibly paying a high price.
on February 18, 2016
I see a lot of reviews saying this isn't the original and if I didn't know that there were multiple versions on here and how to find them I would have thought the same. If you go to the setup option when the movie comes on instead of hitting play it will give you the option of the original theatrical version without the morning report or the other new songs and deleted scenes and the remake of the movie. Hope this helps
review image review image
on July 8, 2015
I hate that Disney makes you wait for so long between releases. The daycare where my kid goes has the original, so of course, she came home asking to see it. We have just about every other Disney movie, but couldn't get our hands on Lion King until I saw this one on Amazon.

I've had no issues playing the movie in a standard Sony Blu-Ray player bought in the U.S. It even has the "sing-along" mode where you can play the lyrics to the songs in closed-captioning; perfect for teaching littles how to read!
on January 12, 2016
DID NOT WORK FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO LIVES HERE IN THE US.
on February 21, 2015
The dvd is great as well as the prompt delivery service.
review image