Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on October 25, 2011
(updated on 7/28/2012) I have been a subscriber to the paper edition of the FT for a few years now, and I have been reading it on kindle for more than a year. I love it! So far I can see (almost) only advantages:

1. it is much less expensive. I used to have a discounted academic US subscription, but now apparently it is no longer available. The regular subscription is now ~350/year, while the kindle edition is 15/month = 180/year. Obviously much better.

2. I have the smallish Kindle keyboard 3G, but reading and navigation are just great. In particular, it is really easy to navigate. You just press the 5-way button once to reach the compact table of content. Just right or left-press it to move to the next-previous article. It is actually way easier that using the newspaper with all those big pages, especially when you are in a constricted space like a plane of a crowded subway.

3. The graphs and photos ARE there. Some users complained about their absence, but that was perhaps in earlier editions. I am not sure ALL of them are on the kindle editions, but I haven't missed any I care about so far.

4. The web links also appear to work, in contrast to what other comments say. They are not ideal (you have to open the experimental browser to follow the link, obviously) but on the other hand you certainly could not follow a web link from the paper edition, could you?

5. You can store past issues without the need of any physical space. Keep in mind that old issues are, by default, deleted from your kindle after 10 days or so.

6. You do not need to get out of the house at 7AM at sub-freezing temperatures to pick up your copy! Last night I could not sleep and I downloaded the FT around 4AM, awesome!

7. It is more environmentally friendly, because paperless!

8. You never miss a copy because (as it happened once in a while in my case) your local delivery service happens to skip a delivery.

9. You can have your copy even if you travel, no more need to suspend delivery. Even if you travel outside the US, as long as you have access to the web, you can download the copy on hard drive and then transfer it (free of charge) on your kindle, via USB. Just keep in mind that you do end up paying extra fees (about 5 dollars/week) if you want the newspaper to be delivered directly to your kindle WITH 3G AND you are outside of the US. Delivery remains FREE if you have access to Wi-fi. Of course, you need to keep in mind that, if you travel to a different time zone, you may not get the FT in early morning. Still, in Europe (6 hours ahead of EST) I am always able to download my FT at 7-8AM, and in Australia/Asia around 10AM!

One of the few drawbacks I can think of is that if you live in a place where pickpocketing/theft are common, then you will have to be more careful when you commute, because no one will want to steal your paper copy of the FT, but many would like to steal your kindle. This may be paranoid, but I do live in a place where theft is a problem.

Other minor quibbles:
- sometimes a few characters in titles appear all scrambled and unreadable. This is VERY rare, however. It mostly happen with book titles in the Saturday's edition of the FT.
- as far as I know (but please correct me if I am wrong!) you cannot save individual articles in a nicely formatted way. When you "clip the article", the article is added to a single file which on my kindle appears as un-formatted (e.g. no pictures, no bold characters for titles etc.). I presume you can still convert this file into other formats amenable to formatting, but that would be a drag. It would be nice if Amazon/FT found a way to retain and store individual articles in a way that preserves all the formatting, perhaps even allowing for a date index.

Anyway, after more than a year of daily use, in the US, Europe, Asia and Australia, I can only say that I very highly recommend the FT for kindle. It's one of those (perhaps little) things that makes you think how much technology can make your life easier.

UPDATE, April 2014: Until a few months ago you could only see the newspaper in the old B&W kindle. Now you can also see it in android tablet. I own a Nexus 7 (2nd generation) and it works perfectly, with color pictures and all. The only option that does not seem to exist on tablet is "clip article", so it looks like you cannot save articles as ASCII files as you can with the kindle B&W. At least I have not been able to do it but if you know otherwise please correct me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2008
I have had a Kindle since they came out, and love it as a reading platform. Until now the only subscription I've had is the NY Times, but as a European in the US I am delighted to see the FT here as an option - got it the second day it was available. I realize there are other non-US papers also here, but the FT beats them all - great news journalism plus financial news and insights - if you are going to read only one paper, then the FT is a good choice. I always turn to Lex first for a take on some of the top stories of the day.

The pricing is closer to the print, at a current discount available at I think the automagic convenience of having the paper appear on the Kindle is worth the extra $10. Plus you don't have to carry it to the cur on recycling day, and can think about all those trees you saved.

So - go get the two week trial and check it out!

(Disclosure: a close family member works at the FT).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2008
One of my favorite things about the kindle is the money that I save by buying books and magazine/newspapers cheaper than getting them in print form. For example, the NY Times is normally $250 a year for paper (discounted) and only $168 for the Kindle version.

HOWEVER, the FT paper edition is only $103 a year for paper while the Kindle version costs $113. Not a big difference, but why wouldn't I get the paper delivered to my house every morning for less money?
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2009
Content deficient of graphs & photos
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2009
I subscribed to this daily paper because of good feedback and I was not disappointed. The articles are very good and it's refreshing to have a more international perspective than you typically get in a publication like the Wall Street Journal.

Compared to other Kindle newspapers & magazines that I've previewed on my Kindle, the formatting of the Financial Times is flawless. It's extremely easy to navigate not only from article to article, but also from section to section. This makes it very easy to preview and then skip an article if you're not interested.

The only reason that I cancelled my free 2-week trial was because of the cost. Although I enjoyed the content, this is not information that I am required to read for my job, and therefore, I cannot justify spending $10 a month to have access to this newspaper on my Kindle 2. For the same $10, I much prefer to download a new Kindle 2 book once a month. If you need financial articles for your job, or if you are more passionate about financial matters, then this is a well-written newspaper and well worth the monthly investment.
on August 19, 2008
This is "the" financial newspaper for balanced, global reporting on markets, finance, economics, politics and more.

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall St. Journal - all good, but each with their axes to grind. You just won't get that nagging feeling with the Financial Times. Now more than ever it is important to have the news with the least possible Wall Street/Washington spin. The FT is a great place to find just that.

The writing and content, editorial and otherwise, are exceptional. I requested this be added to the Kindle subscription list some time ago. I'm sure many, many people did. I'm thrilled to see this paper on the Kindle.

Outstanding newspaper. Seriously. I wish more Americans read it regularly. If all you read is the Wall St. Journal, you are under-informed and occasionally, I would argue, ill-informed. If all you read is the FT, you can be fairly sure you are really on top of the major issues, warts and all. The FT pays a lot of attention to what is going on in the US, and often breaks big stories regarding happenings in the US financial markets. And it is laid out against a comprehensible global backdrop.

I am a regular at the FT online site. Check it out at [...] to get a flavor of FT coverage. Registration is free and no one sends you any spam.

I would urge taking up the two-week free subscription offer ... it is highly probably you will like it. I only just subscribed and will be interested to see how the Kindle version stacks up vs. the tree version and the web site. I'm anticipating that the Kindle will be the must-read, and that the web site will be an additional resource for multimedia and for further background and deep topic info ... e.g. the Olympics, the housing crisis, etc. I plan to store all Kindle issues on my SD card for searching - going back at least a year. These are historic times and I trust the FT to be a reliable chronicler of events.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2009
The desire to read a newspaper in the morning but the hatred of the medium of newspaper prompted me to subscribe to FT on Kindle. Keeping this short and to the point, the navigation works well (more below), there are more articles than I have time to read, stories are in depth and cover the entire world, not just the US and Western Europe, and the friggin thing showed up at 1AM, which will be great if I ever can't sleep.

Since navigation is the main thing to worry about on a kindle paper, here's how it works: When you open the paper, you start on the front page, as if you're looking front and center at the paper (with no picture). It gives you the headline, by line, and a word count (very useful) before the article. At the bottom of the page, it always tells you the headline of the next article, in case you want to skip ahead. If you press the 5-way button right, you can skip to the next article, left to skip back. Pressing the button in brings you to a list of the sections of the paper with the number of articles in each section next to it. You can jump to the front of that section or click on the number to go to a page that shows the headline and first few words of each article in the section, with about 5 of those to a page. This allows you to quickly browse the articles and jump to the ones you'd like to read in depth.

So far, I'm completely satisfied with FT on Kindle(2).
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2009
One of the reason I got the kindle is to get financial times on it, so I don't need to worry about throwing newspaper out every once in a while. But although the paper problem is solved, it seems to me the kindle version has less article than the online or paper version. Also the kindle version is really like a paper version newspaper, it's published early in the morning, and the contents don't change during the day. While if you go online, there's always latest news.

I'm a new user to kindle, so if there's a way to get refreshed newspaper contents during the day, please feel free to let me know.
on November 3, 2010
The written content of the FT is great, but the Kindle delivery has some basic enhancements to make. On the Kindle, I can only browse the FT by section with a list of the number of articles in each section. But there is no listing of what the different articles may be so that I can jump to one that I think is interesting. If I conversely open up the paper edition, I can easily take a quick browse to find what it is that I want to read or maybe skip and then come back to later. I also read the FT on my iTouch, and allows me to easy scroll through the article list, with a short description of each article.

Bottom line, great content, functioanlity on the Kindle is severely lacking and I will most likely cancel after my 2 week trial and stick with reading the FT on the iTouch (even with disadvantage that there is no 3G and I have to sync it on Wifi).
on February 6, 2010
What the heck is wrong with you guys (Amazon)? You want us to pay $180/year for the Kindle version when we can get the print edition, plus magazine, plus online access for $99/year?!!! I think it's time to reconsider your distribution/payment model. Downloading over wifi instead of cellular networks would be a lot cheaper and nearly as convenient for most of us. This is ridiculous.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse