Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

We have an older version of this basketball hoop. In fact it is 4 years and 10 months old. This is important because the warranty was five years. At 4 years and 10 months the backboard cracked when the kids were using it. A large hole developed after a few more shots. I emailed the company, sent in some photos (as requested) and the Amazon receipt (another nice thing about Amazon, they keep track of when you bought stuff for you) of the backboard. They shipped me a new backboard free of charge in a few days. It is nice to see a company that stands by its products. They were cheerful about replacing it.

Other than that it has served us well, never fallen over even in 45 MPH winds and the base and pole were still in fine shape after 4 plus years.
0Comment|195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2011
This was the cheapest 48" goal I could find anywhere on the web and in town. For the money the goal is good but does have some issues. It took me about 2 hours to assemble it. Assembly is pretty clean but some additional close up pictures of some of the steps would be helpful. If you decide to use water for the base make sure to put water in after you have placed the goal in its final resting spot. The plastic base is not built with a very strong thick grade of plastic. As a result of trying to move the goal with the water in the base we sprung a leak and I had to patch the plastic base with glue. Moving it on flat surface even with water also will prevent this type of damage from occurring. It rolls fine with water in the base but going over driveway curb ends, etc. can create a problem for the base.

Not included and which I feel is very important is a top pole cap. They talk in the manual about making sure there are no rust spots on the pole and if there are any that develop over the years how to patch them. The outside of the pole is painted black. However, that is only 50% of the pole surface. The other 50% is on the inside of the pole. The inside has no paint to protect it from rust. Thus with no pole cap any rain water will enter the pole from the top and make it rust from the inside. This is even more dangerous since you can't even see this potential degradation. I ended up solving this problem myself by using a plastic peanut butter jar as a cap. It fitted perfectly inside the pole (use the smaller jars of peanut butter). I painted it black so it would match. I do not have the years of age on it so time will tell how it holds up. The bolts are zinc and not stainless so they are not really made to stand up to water over a long period of time. I guess maybe paying more for a goal might get more bells and whistles like stainless parts among other refinements. Other than that for the price ($156 total delivered) you can't beat it.
on February 23, 2011
Couldn't have asked for a better hoop in this price range.

I'm only pointing out a few things that I thought was useful but couldn't figure out when I was deciding on which to buy:

-I filled with water, and it is just fine no chance of it falling over
-Yes you do bend a piece of plastic for the mounting/adjusting mechanism of the backboard->pole, but it is mainly a sliding guide, and doesn't seem like it will break over time
-Easy adjusting with a broom stick. Push the rim itself to raise, push the metal behind the backboard to lower
-Backboard does wobble a bit when you hit the backboard, but not to the point where it gets annoying (you can still shoot bank shots). More motivation to shoot swishes anyway
-Backboard does not "deaden" the ball that badly
-Wheels on the front so you can tilt and move the hoop after you fill it, though it is pretty heavy even with just water
-Installation took me awhile, but is not hard. Read the instructions, on my manual there was a picture with an extra screw which does not exist and does not show up in the item list. Don't let that confuse you.

Hope that helps
on November 6, 2011
My 10 year old son and I put it together. Took about two hours for us to assemble the unit. In the base we used Water and RV Anti Freeze instead of the 361 Lbs of sand requested. The base holds 31 gallons of water, and I used 10 gallons of RV antifreeze, regular auto anti freeze will damage the plastic base and the RV antifreeze is Eco Friendly. My boy LOVES this product.
on May 10, 2011
Overall: Very satisfied with product, delivery, and price

Pros: Easy to assemble, with good instructions, stable base, easy to adjust, happy with quality of product. My son loves it

Cons: The one difficult portion of the assembly I did bracing the mounting pole against two trash cans while holding it up and trying to tighten the nuts. Have a second person to help.

I put this together in about 2 hours in the garage. It was relatively easy, except for one step where you mount the backboard to the mounthing pole. You need an extra set of strong hands. I made one additional error, after it was fully assembled I filled the base with sand and water, and then decided to move the hoop... big mistake.... it is heavy ... set it in the desired place then fill it, moving this thing is not easy.

Overall I highly recommend this product, much cheaper than buying at the sporting good stores, and it was delivered right to the garage.
on August 23, 2013
Took about an hour to put together by myself. It recommends two people, so I imagine with two it would go a lot faster. I do recommend using sand, not water to fill the base. Water is not as sturdy. But be aware that it needs about 370 lbs of sand, so add that to the price of the system. It added about $25 in sand.
on July 9, 2011
The hoops works well once assembled, but putting it together was harder than I thought it would be. It took about 2.5 hrs to figure it out. We tried with 2 people at first, but you really need 3. The instructions aren't the most easy to understand either. But once we got it together, we've enjoyed using it. Overall, it was worth the money.
on December 8, 2013
We just put this together today so I can't yet say anything about the actual durability or how sturdy it is when playing.
It took about 2-3 hours to build. You really need two people for certain things. Tightening nuts and bolts require two people using force from different directions.
THERE ARE SOME WRENCHES THAT ARE REQUIRED AND IT DOESNT STATE THAT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS SO BEFORE STARTING, make sure you get a 3/4" wrench.
The instructions are not terrible. Pretty ok, but building this is a job. Just take that into account. For the price, this is a full size very nice hoop.
ONE BIG THING TO CONSIDER - many people were saying not to put water in it and that sand is better. Thing with that is we need 7 bags of sand (50lbs each) bcs you do need 350 pounds of sand. Now - if you just plop the bags down on top of the base then no problem. But - if you want to put the sand INTO the base - there are two small holes that you need to use. There is no other way to get the sand in. We bought a funnel and cut the top off to make the hole larger and it took us more than an hour to get just two bags of sand in. It's insane. It's really a pain in the B^%&. We put those two bags in and now we have the other five sitting on top waiting for the next time we have a few hours on our hands. We did become quite good at sifting sand through a funnel though!
For now - i think we are happy with this purchase but only time will tell. Now we need to start playing basketball!!!
on May 25, 2013
Purchased and received the basketball hoop system as promised in no time (thanks, Amazon Prime). No damage to packaging and all contents were verified. I agree with previous reviews that a few steps you have to do a "double take" and carefully interpret the diagrams. For the most part 95% of the documentation is reasonable and with the exception of a handful of steps only require one person. A good set of wrenches and/or socket wrench is a must. Great for my 8 year old... overall time for assembly was 2 hours over 2 days.
on June 17, 2015
I was able to scoop this basketball hoop up for a decent discount during one of Amazon's fire sales over Christmas. Overall, in my experience with this item and other portable systems from Lifetime, this one is middle of the road in quality and perks. It may best be for younger children, or for households where non-aggressive gameplay (a lot of dunking) is the norm.

Obviously the color scheme is blue, black and white. The backboard itself is on the smaller overall size compared to other systems. It's formed of plexiglass and ringed by hollow black plastic struts that form the outer frame. It doesn't strike me as terribly strong or durable (again, middle of the road). The system to adjust the hoop height is minimalist. Other systems have a lever about mid-mast, this is simply operated by (using a board or something) to push up on the backboard to engage or disengage a catch built into the backboard arm while raising or lowering the backboard. This system has failed a couple of times when older kids or adults have grabbed or bumped the rim during play causing the backboard to go up or down a notch or two. On harder shots the backboard does shake a bit with some minimal give.

The base must be counterweighted ie filled with water or sand or it will fall over immediately. I have 2 40'lb sand bags laid on the base which works until I decide what to do for a more permanent fix.

Assembly was straightforward. I'm mechanical and have lots of tools. 45-60 minutes without any assistance. Package arrived in perfect condition.