Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 5, 2009
I bought this stapler after a disappointment with a "refurbished" older model that would drive both staples and brads. Compared to the older one, the SX1838K was easier to use in terms of putting the staples exactly where I wanted them and particularly for providing good countersinking of the fasteners. It also does not require oiling, which avoids the possibility of staining the work. I use the stapler in my home shop for cabinet making and a variety of day to day fastening needs. I found the 7/32" staple and this stapler to be something I count on and use often, usually along with glue, to get a strong, tight joint very quickly, without having the confusion of clamping up the pieces and driving a screw.
on November 8, 2013
We have owned as many as 6 of these staplers with no issues until recently. With the last 2 new ones we regularly have broken drivers. One just back from being repaired has already broken again after a few thousand shots. We are looking into buying a different brand in the future.
Update: all 4 of the staplers in my job trailer have now broken the drivers. Have used Bostitch staplers for years but the new models do not hold up. I have bought my last one. I now give it a 1 because I can't give it a zero.
on September 4, 2011
Pros:

1. oil-free

2. swivel air fitting

3. light

Cons:

1. Odd size 7/32 staple. For me, SS was important for outdoor projects, so limited choices vice 1/4" crown staples.

2. Trigger safety is awkward. Although this is partly due to the 2 function trigger. I always think safeties should be color-coded.

Wish List: I like depth setting wheels, but they ought to be indexed.
on July 16, 2011
History:

I've been in the building trade all my life and have extensive experience with most tools.

Review:

This is a great stapler. Quick change trigger, quick turn depth gauge, and hook to hold it on your belt while working. It even has a built in pencil sharpener- funny, but helpful.
on April 27, 2012
Do not be put off by the cost of this unit. Yes, you can go to a discount tool store and spend a lot less money, but if you need an air-powered stapler, consider spending the extra money on the Bostitch SX1838K. I've owned a lot of different air tools over the years and I've found that the cheap ones are not as well-built, not as durable and use a lot more air. The first two won't surprise anyone, but the third one just might. To make an informed comparison, don't look at only the price. Look at how much air the tool requires at 90 psi and see if your compressor can keep up. The packaging should indicate the volume of air per minute (cubic feet per minute or CFM) that is required. Most times you will see a value for 40 psi and 90 psi. Lower pressures are typically for small tools or some spray guns. You will be wanting that 90 psi for this tool. With a less expensive tool you might find yourself waiting on your compressor. The Bostich is well built and a dream to use. Some of the things I like about it are that it comes with a swiveling connector for your air hose, the staple drive depth is adjustable, it is quiet (or about as quiet as an air tool can be), it is lightweight and it is well-balanced. If you plan to use a tool like this often or just want something that is dependable, consider this one.
on July 12, 2011
Purchased the stapler in nov 2010 to install a beadboard ceiling and trim in a small house. Stapler is now in for service for the 3rd time, after less then 5000 staples. The first time the piston jammed in the cylinder, the last 2 times the piston won't retract far enough to catch a staple.
on January 18, 2016
The SX1838K was easier to use in terms of putting the staples exactly where I wanted them and particularly for providing good countersinking of the fasteners. It also does not require oiling, which avoids the possibility of staining the work. I use the stapler in my home shop for a variety of day to day fastening needs.
on August 16, 2014
This is a very well made and thought out tool. While it is designed specifically for the 5.6 mm crown staples, I have been shooting the standard 6.3 MM crown staples through it without any issues whatsoever. I do not know how they came up with the sizing, but the quarter inch or 6.3mm crown staples have a smaller outside dimension that causes them to fit slightly looser in the mag well but does not affect the operation. I give this tool a solid 5 stars and highly recommend it.
on October 5, 2015
So far this crown stapler has held up really well. I've gone through 6-7000 staples on reupholstering projects without a single misfire or jam. The depth adjustment is a little tricky to understand, but it is definitely easy to adjust. Just spin the orange dial in the direction of the symbol which represents the amount of countersink you'd like.

I see some 1-star ratings regarding the magazine not closing after loading the staples. The staples go into the magazine from the bottom (hold the stapler upside down with the magazine open and drop the staples into the large slot with the staple legs towards you), and not from the top (like many framing nailers). If the staples are placed in from the top, the magazine will not shut, nor will a full length strip of staples fit inside.

So far I haven't had any problems with it, nor have I had to use the included Allen wrench to make adjustments. The pencil sharpener is handy, and the belt hook is sturdy and can be moved to either side of the stapler. This stapler also has a metal magazine, which is one reason why I bought this one versus the Senco equivalent.
on June 16, 2014
I installed a tongue and groove porch ceiling with this tool. It was my first job using a stapler and it performed perfectly. Over 300 staples installed without a jam. I have many other Bostitch air tools and highly recommend them!