Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on November 8, 2013
We have owned as many as 6 of these staplers with no issues until recently. With the last 2 new ones we regularly have broken drivers. One just back from being repaired has already broken again after a few thousand shots. We are looking into buying a different brand in the future.
Update: all 4 of the staplers in my job trailer have now broken the drivers. Have used Bostitch staplers for years but the new models do not hold up. I have bought my last one. I now give it a 1 because I can't give it a zero.
on December 5, 2009
I bought this stapler after a disappointment with a "refurbished" older model that would drive both staples and brads. Compared to the older one, the SX1838K was easier to use in terms of putting the staples exactly where I wanted them and particularly for providing good countersinking of the fasteners. It also does not require oiling, which avoids the possibility of staining the work. I use the stapler in my home shop for cabinet making and a variety of day to day fastening needs. I found the 7/32" staple and this stapler to be something I count on and use often, usually along with glue, to get a strong, tight joint very quickly, without having the confusion of clamping up the pieces and driving a screw.
on September 4, 2011
Pros:

1. oil-free

2. swivel air fitting

3. light

Cons:

1. Odd size 7/32 staple. For me, SS was important for outdoor projects, so limited choices vice 1/4" crown staples.

2. Trigger safety is awkward. Although this is partly due to the 2 function trigger. I always think safeties should be color-coded.

Wish List: I like depth setting wheels, but they ought to be indexed.
on July 16, 2011
History:

I've been in the building trade all my life and have extensive experience with most tools.

Review:

This is a great stapler. Quick change trigger, quick turn depth gauge, and hook to hold it on your belt while working. It even has a built in pencil sharpener- funny, but helpful.
on April 27, 2012
Do not be put off by the cost of this unit. Yes, you can go to a discount tool store and spend a lot less money, but if you need an air-powered stapler, consider spending the extra money on the Bostitch SX1838K. I've owned a lot of different air tools over the years and I've found that the cheap ones are not as well-built, not as durable and use a lot more air. The first two won't surprise anyone, but the third one just might. To make an informed comparison, don't look at only the price. Look at how much air the tool requires at 90 psi and see if your compressor can keep up. The packaging should indicate the volume of air per minute (cubic feet per minute or CFM) that is required. Most times you will see a value for 40 psi and 90 psi. Lower pressures are typically for small tools or some spray guns. You will be wanting that 90 psi for this tool. With a less expensive tool you might find yourself waiting on your compressor. The Bostich is well built and a dream to use. Some of the things I like about it are that it comes with a swiveling connector for your air hose, the staple drive depth is adjustable, it is quiet (or about as quiet as an air tool can be), it is lightweight and it is well-balanced. If you plan to use a tool like this often or just want something that is dependable, consider this one.
on July 12, 2011
Purchased the stapler in nov 2010 to install a beadboard ceiling and trim in a small house. Stapler is now in for service for the 3rd time, after less then 5000 staples. The first time the piston jammed in the cylinder, the last 2 times the piston won't retract far enough to catch a staple.
on January 18, 2016
The SX1838K was easier to use in terms of putting the staples exactly where I wanted them and particularly for providing good countersinking of the fasteners. It also does not require oiling, which avoids the possibility of staining the work. I use the stapler in my home shop for a variety of day to day fastening needs.
on February 4, 2014
I've been through two of these. Bought the first from Canadian Tire and the plunger broke halfway through its first soffit job. I exchanged it for a new one which leaked air past the piston right out of the box. I put it in my trailer and finished up with another stapler I had. A year later I pulled it out and realized if I held the trigger long enough, air would leak by but it would eventually shoot, then it would work for a while. Then I leant it to a buddy and the piston broke. The piston, it turns out, is made of plastic. I like bostich in general but this seems to be a lemon
on July 14, 2014
Works great so far , I've noticed review on some products I think sometimes we don't take the time to read enough. This stapler is great it help us out saved time , Bostitch has been known for its quality of there brand .
on July 17, 2014
Has run pretty well putting in over 6000 1 1/2" staples to hold down 1/4" under-layment. There were several dozen double staples and a few time it would not fire without reloading the staples. All staples used were Bostitch.