Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Flavor Name: Original BoneSize: SouperChange

on September 25, 2012
I just want to see that the "Most Helpful Critical Review" is NOT what you should go off of. At the time of writing, this person claims warnings and that your dog can die. If you read your review, she states her dogs chew at these until nothing is left. For the record, the instruction manual in the packaging and common sense say that if large chunks are breaking off or the nubs on the end get too worn, then THROW IT AWAY. Not doing so can very well kill your dog, but thats because hes not using it properly. People die from ladders too, doesnt mean I'm gonna stop using it so long as I follow instructions.

On to the item itself. I love Nylabones. My Husky loves Nylabones. I usually get just the regular basic ones, but my dog is coming up on a year old, weighs 43 pounds, and chews like crazy. So I purchased the Dura-Chew Large, rated for dogs over 50 pounds. I looked at pictures, read reviews and thought "I can't wait; he'll actually be able to use it for more than a week". The item arrived, and by the next day large gashes were on one side, and the other was already bristling (it's supposed to, see my above paragraph if you don't read instructions). By the middle of the next week, I threw it out.

So I give it three stars. It's a great product, my dog loved it, and he used it. However, I certainly would not call this "Dura-Chew", nor rate it at 50 lbs+. Perhaps the weight rating is only for the size of the bone. A good product, but powerful chewers look elsewhere.
44 comments85 of 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2008
I never liked nylabones before I got them for my dogs. They always seemed dirty, hair sticks to the ends after they've been chewed and dogs will make their gums bleed chewing them. But my dogs make quick work of any chewy (they finish even very large edible chewies in less than one minute), so we got the durable nylabones and the dogs love to chew them. They are not indestructable but they last for months even with daily use. The dogs do make their gums bleed chewing them at first but I was surprised to see how clean their teeth are now. A good thing to have for a serious chewer.
0Comment53 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2010
The Nylabone Souper is the best product I have found for my aggressive chewing dog, a lab mix. Nylabones give her a safe and very effective outlet for her chewing needs, and help keep her teeth clean. Highly recommended.
on May 10, 2010
We've had several nylabones for our dogs. They loved chewing on them and the bones seemed to hold up very well--until a piece broke off and lodged in the small intestine of my dachsund. Since it's plastic, it doesn't show up in x-rays and the blockage wasn't identified until it was too late. Always supervise your pet when they are chewing anything that can be chewed up!
88 comments125 of 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2010
My Lab has always been an extremely aggressive chewer, to the point where we don't dare get him any plush chew toys any more because they'll be shredded on the first day. We got this for him when he was about 4 months old and he showed no interest in it. He much preferred the Nylabone Dura Chew Wishbone Wolf instead. This was simply too big for him and he preferred other chew toys that fit his smaller jaws better.

He's now 7 months old and he's grown to the point where he LOVES this Nylabone. It's super hard so it'll last a very long time for even the most aggressive chewer. As with any hard plastic chew you need to supervise: throw it out before it gets too small.
0Comment37 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2013
Our dog loves it. She gets super excited when I give it to her. I think she can smell the bacon, but fortunately, we lesser humans cannot. At least I can't, and I've got a pretty good nose.

All in all the product is great. But boy, Nylabone really needs to rethink their atrocious chew sizing nomenclature.

From the Nylabone website:

Xsmall = up to 15 lbs
Regular = up to 25 lbs
Wolf = up to 35 lbs
Giant = up to 50 lbs
Souper = 50 lbs +

Get real, Nylabone. In what universe is a Spaniel a "Giant" or Beagle a "Wolf"? And what the heck is a "Souper" (it turns out, my 55 lbs Golden is a Souper. Who knew?)

Please don't make us memorize this absurd system. Why don't you just use the weights, instead of the non-sensical names?

For example, this product could be called "Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Bacon Flavor, 50 lbs +" rather than "Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Bacon Flavor,Souper."

It would be a win for you, I swear. And for us.
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
My dogs love nylabones, and we've been buying them for years. I recently decided to stock up and ordered 4 nylabones! They arrived quickly, but one of the packages was partially open. They also had a new textured look that I wasn't sure my dogs would like. The picture indicated that the product I would be receiving would be the same untextured nylabones that my dogs love.

However, those aren't the only reasons I'll be returning them. We just took one of our dogs to the vet this week, and had to spend almost $1,000 getting two cracked teeth removed! Our vet said that nylabones are too hard for dogs' teeth, and recommended that we use raw bones from the butcher instead. Nylabones are the only chew toys my dogs have used, so there is nothing else that could have cracked my dog's teeth. Please be cautious, and talk to your vet about whether nylabones are a safe choice for your dog.
55 comments42 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2015
We got this for my dog from petsmart. The one we got is white. I have a 7 month Weimarinar and with in literally 5 minutes if her chewing on it there were gashes and teeth marks on it. This is not good for strog chewers.
review image review image
on January 9, 2015
These hard nylon toys can break a dog's teeth. We learned the hard way when our lab-collie mix chomped down hard and fractured her big pre-molar. The dentist said it couldn't be repaired and we had to pull the tooth. A $1600 lesson. I recommend giving your dog toys that are softer and more pliable. We got an Orbee-tuff ball from Dog Planet that she likes.
review image
on April 19, 2011
I don't know what it is about the white colored nylabone material; it is just so much softer than the yellowish material. Even though both are labeled "Dura Chew" The dogs have not yet taken off sizeable pieces of this bone, but they can leave pretty clear tooth markings. This chew needs closer monitoring than the other nylabones we have bought.

*************
UPDATE: It is a little more than a year since I first put up this review and I just bought a liver flavored Nylabone that is also made from this white colored material. I'm uploading a customer photo to show the difference. If you have a dog that is an agressive chewer, you may want to stay away from the white nylabone material.
review image