Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 1, 2012
Let's settle this now: This is NOT a pair of audiophile headphones, it is a GAMING headset.

That said, lets get into the nitty-gritty.

I am upgrading from a Razer Megalodon 7.1 digital headset. Not a bad headset at all, but it was starting to die out on me and i needed something new.

This headset is a TRUE 5.1 audio system, and you can tell. the positional audio is amazing. I have never heard positional audio this good from a headset.

The ear-cups are over-ear and closed back, meaning no audio will spill over to the mic, and you wont have to worry about listening to anything in the real world. The apocalypse could be happening right now and I wouldn't hear a thing.

The microphone is as crystal clear as the Fortress of Solitude, and it's loud enough to be heard. Also, it features Noise Cancelling like the headset, so don't worry about your wife/girlfriend calling you to take out the trash or do the dishes in the middle of a BF3 match and being made fun of by your buddies.

The ear cups are rather large and heavy for a headset, but this is countered by a soft leatherette ear cushioning and a padded headband. I won't lie, the headband could be better, but it's not uncomfortable by any stretch.

The audio quality is astonishingly good. You have to tinker with your sound card to get it to work perfectly, but even out of the box it works very well.

The in line controls are GREAT, allowing you to control front, mids, rears, and the subs.

This is a LOUD headset. My old Megalodon couldn't put out near as much volume and retain the same quality of audio.

The bass could be louder out of the box, but after tinkering I got it to where I wanted it for explosions, gunfire, etc.

make sure you have a soundcard or a motherboard with 5.1/7.1 to use this to its full potential.

This headset is the BEST headset I have owned in quite a long while.
22 comments32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2012
Hey all,

Let me start of this review by saying that I am an audio engineer and an audiophile. I have a wide array of gear for creating and listening to music, but I was looking for something to use with my gaming rig so I can enjoy spending time gaming and chatting with my friends over ventrilo. Thus, the verdict is based solely for the purpose I bought these for.

After my Razer Carcharias died out on me (left driver just stopped working on it's own - Razer was nice enough to give me a full refund - great customer service!), I have decided to get a new headset, and while Razer is great when it comes to keyboards and mice (Deathadder still the best mouse I ever had), Razer headphones just did not leave a great impression on me.

I googled a bit, and found this headset, watched the reviews and decided to go for it.

I am not going to go into specs and features as you can find those on the internet, and I'm just going to focus on my experience. And here we go:

DESIGN: The Roccat Kave is sturdy and well built. They are a bit heavy, but I personally do not mind it. The ear-cups are surprisingly comfortable. Same can't be said for the padding on the top, as it can cause a bit of a discomfort, but I managed to find a setting that works for me and after a few days of getting used to, I feel no discomfort. I think it could have been done better, and it feels weird that they went for three separate padding's instead of a one, continual padding that would have fit on a head of any size and shape. The ear-cups are really deep, and they will seperate your ear fro the drivers a bit, which will enable you to hit the volume up with a bit less stress to your ears.

MICROPHONE: Good quality. Sounds crisp and clear on the other side and you will have no issues with VOIP communication.

MUSIC: This headset is just not designed for listening to music. It's not bad, and if you are not an audiophile you will probably not hear a big difference from other gaming headsets. The sound was a bit strange at first, but after a few hours it did sink in. The lack of heavy bass for all you electronic music fans is being mended by the vibration unit that will shake your head a bit when frequencies up to 100hz hit in, giving you an impression of a bigger bass sound. Depending on the genre of music you will find switching of the presets on your controller useful sometimes. If you are looking for a headset to listen to music and game - think you can find better options with some stereo set (Sennheiser comes to mind).

MOVIES: Not bad, but not too great as well. I can't complain really about the sound - it's solid, and I did enjoy watching movies with this, but would always get back to my hi-fi speaker system to watch movies if I had to choose.

GAMES: This is where the Roccat Kave shines! Playing games with this headset is a great and immersive experience. They can be overwhelming sometimes if you push up the volume (these can be really really loud) but tweaking with the parameters will help you achieve better results. The 5.1 sound system works well on these while playing games. They are not really 100% correct when it comes to positioning - the front is going to sound like it's more in the center, and the back will sound more like a back-left or back-right depending on the situation. These are not big flaws, and you will still be able to pinpoint your enemies when you are playing first person shooters.

THE PRICE: You will not be able to get a better headset with 5.1 in this price range!!! They are really cheap for the quality they offer, so this is a no-brainer.

VERDICT: Should you get these? Yes! They have their flaws, of course, but if you are looking for a headset with 5.1 for gaming - look no further. I think These will keep me satisfied for at least 2-3 years for this purpose. Remember, 5.1 and 7.1 headsets are gimmicks, but this one is a well built gimmick that does not use software to give you a virtual surround sound and they use 3 drivers on each side to create a soundscape for you.

In the end - if you just need a good stereo pair - get some great audiophile headphones and buy a attachable mike. If you wanna have a bit of fun and don't care that much as long as it sounds decent, and you really want some 5.1 sounds - get these.

As you can see, I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope this review is written well enough to give you an impression on what these can offer.

Happy shopping!
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2013
I love these headphones. Coming after me for a stealth kill with a knife (in game)? I can hear your footsteps behind me. Huge explosion nearby? Bass blows your ears out! The microphone quality seems good as attested to by my gaming friends. I love that you can bend the mic to any position and flip it up out of the way when not needed (even unplug it if you want). The only gripes I have are that since it takes up all your sound card "out" jacks, you need a splitter or something if you want external sound without having to unplug all the headphone jacks. Also, my set seems to have developed a 'short' or something in the line which causes static when I move the cord. No, it's not a loose connection, it's something in the line between the 'phones and the (cool) volume/directional volume gizmo. Hey this thing is neat, you can adjust volume for rear/left/right/bass and overall volume, inline. Recommend.
on April 6, 2012
I Have used several 5.1 headsets over the years, they have been built to break, either wire shorts or cracking at the neck, at or near, the cup hinges. My previous favorites were the Medusa 5.1 headphones, similar price point+, and they would crack near the plastic hinge within 18 months. The duct-tape look gets old. The Roccat Kave are excellent, heavy, well built headphones. I get great 5.1 sound and the pivot above the cup is metal! No cracking. Wires have held up and are medium thickness (similar to usb cable in diameter but more flexible).

I give a 4.5 stars. Downsides: Comfort of the padding on the headband is poor, have to move it around during extended usage. The cans block surrounding noise very well and are heavy, so you know what you are getting into. I was not able to use the mic with speech recognition software, too much static over the mic. Not yet sure if it is the Kave mic or Creative Flexijack, i suspect the latter. I will update review if i figure it out.
on April 22, 2015
really great 5.1 for games and movies. for all of you not getting bass set your LTE crossover frequency to 90hz, then in the mixer turn the sub-woofer up by about 20%. turn it up much more and the vibrations may knock your fillings out!

this is a great product for the price. once you have them configured correctly they sound amazing. nice deep bass, amazing mid and highs. if you dont spend the time to set them up properly then they will still be ok but lacking bass!

pros

sound great for the £
5.1 just works
massive bass
comfy

cons

heavy
on July 30, 2013
I really liked these headphones at first. Real 5.1, nice inline controls, and after a while decent comfort. Things went south very fast though when taking the headphones off the left arm broke right where everything comes together. It really seems like there is a lot of unecessary plastic on this headset and I can't say I would buy another set. For me I'm going back to the Medusa 5.1. Much more comfortable and a lot less plastic.
on December 25, 2014
Son got me these for Xmas. GREAT sound. But extremely shoddy construction. they lasted all of 10 minutes before the left earpeice broke.
Great sound! I mean really REALY nice sound

BUT
Totally inferior as in cr@p construction of the rest of it.
the problem is the earpieces themselves seem well constructed But are too heavy for the headband they are attached to which looks bulkier then it actually is. This becomes evident the first time you pick them up. which is too thin for the weight and bulk they are expected to support at the point where they connect to the headband itself.

I put them on. was impressed by the sound. Got called away for a phone call. then went back and put them on again and the left earpeice just cracked and came apart where it connects to the headband. total elapsed time. 10 minutes

Sad thing is they sound great. And had they put as much thought into the construction of the band as they did the speakers and earpeices themselves these would be a really nice headset. As they are constructed now they arent worth a $10 pricetag let alone $100

In searching reviews on other websites I am finding this is more the norm then the exception.

We will be looking for a full refund rather then a replacement set as I have seen far too many reviews all complaining about the same problem
on May 27, 2013
I really loved my Turtle Beach Z6a's, but when the mic stopped working after a few months and the model was discontinued, I had to find something else. (Turtle Beach did RMA them for a different model, just didn't like them nearly as much.)

I'll start with the bad first, because there is very little bad about them.

-They're heavy. REALLY heavy. Probably the heaviest set of earphones I've worn since my dad's 1970's stainless steel set. That said, they are somehow still very comfortable. I game for about 6 hours at a time, and they only barely start to hurt around the headband at that point. Normally I can reposition them and they're fine.
-They're bright and they don't turn off the lights when the computer shuts down, so I have to cover them with a blanket to get any sleep!

Hopefully those two things don't discourage you too much, because these really are a great headset. Onto the pro's:

-Sound quality is superb. If you like bass, these put out enough to vibrate AND they don't rattle or pop while doing so. The surround sound effect also works very well, though I haven't put this to the test in as many games as I'd like to. So far they seem about equal to the Z6a's as far as the surround sound distribution.
-Removable mic is REALLY great. I like that I can get it out of the way completely and reduce wear on it by taking it out when not in use. The mic quality is also perfect. No background noise or static (so I've been told by my friends on the other end).
-Construction is the best I've seen in a LONG time. This is a big one for me, as all my previous headsets generally fail in a physical aspect, not a sound quality aspect. The Turtle Beach Z6a's are notorious for that fact. The ROCCAT's however feel like they're carved from a solid block of granite. The wires are extremely thick and well insulated, the connections are reinforced, the audio control module looks like something off a professional sound board. The construction quality just really is terrific.
-Noise canceling is the best I've experienced, even better than electronic "active" noise canceling systems. These block out noise so well, I don't even hear my wife yelling at me from the same room; the people in my call have to pass the message along! They work great the other direction too, my wife never hears my music or games even when I've got it blasting.

In conclusion, if you don't mind a heavier headset that can be bright at night, I've found no equal to these. If you happened to use the TB Z6a's and are looking for something similar as an upgrade or replacement, these are it!
on June 30, 2015
I hate it I really do!
A really bad Materials in the headset and the wires.
The sound WAS ok.
Not COMFORTABLE at all.
Not worth this much money
Don't buy it , it is just Wasting money
review image review image review image
on November 17, 2013
Far from being an expert on quality sound, these immediately sounded much better than the CM Storm Sirus headphones I initially bought. The noise-cancelling effect is pretty noticeable and I can clearly hear my boyfriend when he's talking to me through his mic (unlike the CM headphones).

They also seem to be of quality construction and the ear cups and are comfortable.

Unfortunately, these headphones are incredibly uncomfortable. The headband digs into the top of your head, and even after only 30 minutes of gameplay, you're likely to have quite the headache. With constant adjusting so that it's not resting on the same part of your head, you can extend the length of time before you start experiencing any ache, but it's a nuisance and still seems unavoidable. My boyfriend has a very differently shaped head, but his set cause the same problem.