Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

Color: NavyChange

on March 24, 2012
It's been cat tested .. and then tested ... and then ... oh my gawd what did you EAT? Tested. It works. My cats are all tall to mid-lard sized little heifers. I was having issues with 2 of them - Sammi the Weasel likes to stick her butt out the front of the box and pee all over the floor. Yoda Boda likes to dig a hole to China then scratch the walls down to fill said hole in (this goes on FOREVER) all while making sure everything in 20 foot radius is equally covered in litter for good measure, then he plunks his butt down right in the center to pee before bolting out like lightning just smacked him which serves his nefarious purpose of making litter trails across the entire house as he completely avoids touching down on the litter mats. Pepper Spray can contain herself and her bizniz to a box but she dislikes the openness of regular ones ... however she's a wee bit umm, FAT, for a regular hooded box.

I checked out the expensive pet stores (you know the ones!) and they did not have anything that would meet all 3 of my precious sugar woogums cow sized elimination habits. Then I ordered Iris CLH-12 Open-Top Litter Box with Shield and Scoop, installed it between my shower & human litter box and voila! Problems mostly solved. Sammi the Weasel can no longer shove her butt out the front edge, Pepper Spray doesn't look like an awkward fat-ass stuffed in a tiny box, and Yoda Boda isn't flinging excavation treasures like a Tasmanian devil all over the entire room.

The box lid is a little awkward because of the weird small area of where it barely clips onto the box. If you got sprayers or super high pee-ers, this will be a problem. It might accommodate bags easier than a regular hooded box, however I don't know that for sure, I haven't tried it with a bag yet since my demon-boy just shreds them into "sifter" bags anyway. He hasn't been able to ninja-kick it off yet, so yay!

The included scoop is SMALL, but it has a cool handle hook that allows it to hook onto the lid of the box or open-hood. But hey, the scoop is a bonus and what cat poop-scooping person doesn't already have like 5 of those things anyway?

The size is okay, its designed high not super lengthy or extra wide. It works, but it could be bigger which would make it more comfortable for my canine sized fur balls. Its only slightly wider than my regular litter box [very slightly]. If you are looking for a high sided wider one, check out one that looks like a baby bath tub (seriously it does), but you pretty much need fur balls with no litter box issues to brave a non-hood design [if you got one ... you could make a killing in breeding it!].

In short, if you need a hood with out the ceiling and don't have super high pee-ers/sprayers, this design will work. It's high enough to contain, but doesn't brush my butt and freak me out when I'm doing my bizniz either [its right beside my toilet, I'm not using the litter box I swear].
6363 comments920 of 940 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2010
I have four cats and really like the convenience of having a scooper attached to each litter box. I also like this model because the sides are tall which helps keep litter spillage down but you don't have to remove the top to clean the box. Its great. Another reviewer said they had an issue with not being able to scoop well around the corners - if you buy a decent scoopable cat litter, this isn't an issue at all. I have four of these and highly recommend the product. It is a great value compared to the other options our there, too.
2929 comments449 of 457 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2015
I'm changing my initial review because although this litter box is extremely affordable, it's not efficient and is just a crappy overall litter box because of its design. As cat owners, we ALL KNOW that a litter box should not have any weird indentations or corners. This box has both. I have provided some pictures to show you how the box looks after scooping, and no cleaning involved yet (to show the fallout in the front) where there's a bunch of little wet clumps left behind because of the fact that it's hard to scrape past the indentations all around the box and corners in the front.

Don't even get me started with the scooper it comes with, it's absolutely terrible. It doesn't pick up ANY of the small clumps at all because of the fact that the holes are so big.

I don't need to get into an extensive review about this product, because the pictures will tell it all.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend buying this and would advise anyone to look for a box that is just a straight square with no special corners/indents.
review image review image review image
1111 comments264 of 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2011
Moved to new Apartment, and was tired of the cats kicking Cat litter all around the boxes. Plus, a couple like to urinate standing with a spray motion, causing floor and carpet disaster (I have three cats ranging in age from 8 to 18). I thought this Litter Box would be the Answer, well reviewed here and on other sites. So I ordered two.

My first initial impression - wow, these are small. I called Amazon CS, and decided to give them a try anyway. The cats adapted (but I had to bring in the larger old pan for the bathroom, my biggest kitty is around 16 to 17 pounds). I had purchased two 25 bags of kitty litter for the transition, and was saddened to see that kitty litter is slipping through the sides where the shield attaches to the base.

The shield snaps on in only two spots along the sides. The corners and back molding does not match exactly the molding of the base. This also caused urine to drip out of the sides onto some towels I placed on the floors (thank god). By the second day, I requested a refund.

Decided to use cut out storage bins (home made litter boxes). The cats have adapted to their new toilets. They aren't perfect for tracking in the front, but nothing gets over the sides, and they are still easy to keep clean (PS, I personally didn't have TOO much trouble keeping the corners clean with the Iris Litter Boxes, the smaller scoops came in handy for that, and I used a larger scoop for the rest of the litter).

Cannot recommend unless small cats or kittens.
1515 comments236 of 251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2009
You get what you pay for, I don't think the designers of this box considered how we'd have to clean it. The two front inside corners of the box aren't square, they are indented about 1/2 inch, so if your kitty's pee is in the corner the scooper isn't going to fit to get it out! You can see in the picture itself that the corners shown on either side of the scooper have indentations that the scooper clearly won't fit in. So if your kitty likes to pee in the corners of the box as mine does, good luck getting the wet litter out. Bottom line, unless you use a liner and dump the whole box often you'll constantly be battling the saturated, smelly litter that is impossible to get out of the corners.
3737 comments401 of 436 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2009
I thought this litter box worked very well. My cat likes to throw the litter everywhere and this keeps him from doing that except he still throws it out the front which is why we got a kitty mat. Its easy to snap together and snap apart to clean. Corners are a little hard to scoop but with a clumping litter, cleaning is easy. Love the litter scooper that comes with it. It snaps onto the side very easily so you dont have to set it on the floor. However, I prefer to use a metal scooper Duranimals DuraScoop Cat Litter Scoop (colors may vary) as it holds more and makes cleanup easier. This litter box fits PERFECTLY in the Merry Pet Cat Washroom / Night Stand Pet House and keeps litter from getting all over the inside. I will most definitely be purchasing more of these in the future.
22 comments164 of 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2015
I bought two of these litter boxes to fit into the Age Pet Loo litter box end table. It fits inside perfectly. The sides that attach the bottom and top part of the litter box are not a tight fit and disconnect easily. Also scooping litter out from this box would be a lot easier if the bottom of the box would have a smooth surface rather than having grooves around the bottom and sides.
review image
0Comment53 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2015
It's great, not to big or oddly shaped at all. And it's the perfect depth!
review image
11 comment44 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
I love it for my Precious baby. Precious is close to 15 pounds and 2 years old. She is on a diet. I was afraid it might be too small for her but she seems to do alright. I don't think I would buy it if she was larger. The top that fits on the bottom pan is flimsy, and she scratched litter so hard that it came out there and on the floor. . So I used packing clear tape and taped it together in a few places.. If you don't want to go to that trouble its up to you but I like it, and its easy to clean. I did buy a better shovel.. .
review image
0Comment29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2012
I ordered this litterbox because one of my cats is a "high pee-er" and I thought this would be perfect. Well, it's not. As other reviewers have stated, urine gets between the two parts and can get out. The even bigger issue, in my view, is that the bottom is not flat so it is hard to clean out the sides and mostly also the corners. The included scoop is tiny making it impossible to use.
In short, this box seems like a great deal, but there are other boxes out there that are not much more expensive and work better.
11 comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse