Size: Wolf/Medium|Change

My dog shredded this bone in 1 week. Ever wonder how the Nylabones are flavored? In the center (core), there is a spongey material that is soaked in some kind of flavoring agent. When I saw my dog eating the brown squishy sponge inside, I took it from him and threw it in the trash.

Not that this is a bad product. And I still buy Nylabones for my dog. But I have discovered that if you buy one or even two size bigger than recommended, then your dog won't be able to shred the bone and the bones actually last much longer.

I have a medium sized dog, I buy him Large, Wolf, and Souper Nylabones now. They're big and heavy but he loves them even more. Dogs are greedy. Bigger bones = happier dogs. And since the bog bones don't completely fit into his mouth, he can't shred them. He just chews at the ends and the tips.
on September 1, 2010
These multi-textured Nylabones are one of the all-time favorites for my dogs. There are certain types including the "Double-Action Chew" variety that have a tendency for big chunks to break off and potentially cause an internal blockage. Personally I have never had that issue with this bone, and the textures seem to be really enjoyable to my dogs. In terms of durability these are very good, and will last through several weeks of abuse by my Vizsla and German Shorthair.
on April 18, 2011
I find Nylabone products to be a moving target. Some are as hard as rocks which my dogs love and last for months. Others, and I'm not talking about puppy products vs. big dog products, last for anywhere from days to weeks.

If you try to make sense out of their website vs. what you can find online or in pet stores it will be challenging to figure out exactly what you are getting. I contacted their customer support and reported that products with the same description performed differently and even varied in color. I threw out the ones that crumbled into big chunks that I was worried could harm my dog's digestive tract. Nylabone would not admit to any changes and said they wanted me to send them samples, which I couldn't do since I threw their products away.

I'm beginning to think they have a premium product line for pet stores and a lesser quality for online retailers.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 20, 2013
We Have two Old English Bulldogs and to say they're aggressive chewers is an understatement. These maniacs go through the largest Nylabones and Kongs like a buzz saw through a 2 X 4. We could probably save a fortune by just giving them cinder blocks or small boulders but I feel I would trip over them while walking through the house in the dark.

As for plush toys those adorable rabbits and bunnies - they look like road kill in a New York Minute. So as for toys we stick the above mentioned Nylabones and Kongs, Jolly teasers Balls and Planet Dog toys by Orbie.

Still, nothing lasts particularly long and the toys are replaced fairly often. This particular toy has been a long time favorite for many years. Our dogs love to focus on trying to untie the knots, the shape lends itself well so two paws can hold one end easily while they chomp and gnaw away in chew crazed heaven.

These bones are also great for them to carry around and play fetch with Plus, the center ridges are great for oral care and the design is a well thought out take on the traditional Nylabone Souper. A time proven classic, that holds up even to the toughest abuse.

5 PAWS UP!
on January 21, 2013
I'm not sure if this is some knock off made in China but the bone that I received had large metal shavings molded in the bone. There was a large silver/gray sliver sticking out of the bone where the molding prong was once attached and several metal shavings molded into one entire side of the bone.

I've used Nylabone for years and have never seen anything like this so I'm worried this is some cheap Chinese shipment. Please inspect your bones before giving to your pet!!!
on January 29, 2012
My dogs love these bones! I have an aggressive chewer & I always purchase Nylabone products for him. It's not as durable as a KONG, but instead of rubber, it's more of a plastic material. Be prepared, because it will splinter, if you have an aggressive chewer like mine, but it's definitely worth it because it keeps him entertained. I usually have one bone for 2-4 months, depending on his interest. You can even boil them in bouillon flavor once a week to keep the flavors strong! This product is much cheaper on Amazon compared to pet stores where they sell for $10-$30 (depending on the shape/style) for the larger size.
on February 14, 2011
This is our French Bull's favorite chew toy. Our little nine month old boy is an aggressive chewer, and this toy holds up pretty good. We got the Wolf size, which is bigger than the recommended toy size, which makes it harder for him to get his mouth around, which means the toy will last a little longer. He's had the toy for a little less than a month now, and he's beginning to wear away on the "bumpy" ends. I would say this toy will last another 5-6 months (which is pretty good, since our boy has gone through 3 toys already in 4 months). Next time, I'm going to order the even bigger size (Souper, I think it's called), so that should last even longer. The only thing about ordering those big sizes for a smaller/ medium size dog, is that they have a harder time carrying the toy in their mouth. Oh well.
on December 21, 2013
My 11-pound Maltese loves this bone because of its texture. He goes more for texture of the Nylabone rather than flavor and will normally choose a textured one over the smooth plain Nylabones regardless of the flavor. The Regular size Nylabones last him a whole lot longer than the Petite size ones.
on February 26, 2016
Yes! My dogs are both very heave chewers and this bone is going to last quite a while. I bought two (one for each dog) to replace another brand that advertised as for "heavy chewers", but was gone in less than a month. They have been chewing on these for a couple weeks now and I can barely tell. I did do a search through this companies products and ensured that I purchased these as they are made in the USA and not elsewhere as that is also important to me. They were selling at a great price and all in all, I do believe these are worth every penny.
on January 19, 2016
Thank you, Nylabone, for creating a toy my dog can't destroy within an afternoon.

You wouldn't think a small corgi could have such strong jaws, but most toys get chewn to smithereens by mine (we're talking toys touted as "chew proof" having chunks methodically torn off in a matter of hours). Nylabone dura proucts have never failed, though.

This type of bone probably isn't quite as tough as the Nylabone Galileo (which, after 3 years, he finally worried a nub off of), but it's definitely lasted the first evening seemingly unacathed, and I'd bet it will last another year or two at least.

See 1 answered question