Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on March 5, 2010
In the cult tradition of SPARTACUS, the halls of every science department now echoes: "I AM SHELDON"!

Well into its third season, THE BIG BANG THEORY proved to be one of the most funny TV sitcoms ever aired. I had not laughed out loud this hard ever since the best days of FRASIER and SEINFELD - and BIG BANG is consistently brilliant!

Sheldon Cooper is unavoidably the king of the show - the massive black hole this Universe revolves around if you will. A child prodigy, now a 24 years old theoretical physicist PhD with absolutely no social skills or known sexual drive. Sheldon may be on the verge of unifying the fields but cannot drive a car to save his life or break a smile even remotely resembling that of a mere homo sapiens.
Best SEASON 3 moment (a very hard choice to make): attempting to condition Penny using positive reinforcement (chocolates) - but was also open to "mild electric-shocks with almost imperceptible tissue damage" to have her ready by dinner-time.

Leonard Hofstadter is Sheldon's roommate and primary ...keeper. An experimental physicist himself, he juggles Sheldon's idiosyncrasies with his personal neurosis - not to mention his crush on his neighbor Penny.
Best SEASON 3 moment: getting high on hash-cookies while on an asteroid-gazing camp-trip and rambling that he 'd rather have a different name as Leonard sounds like having "nerd" in it.

Howard Wolowitz is the only one with no PhD yet (and Sheldon never lets him forget it). An electrical engineer whose crowning achievement is a mechanized arm that is used in the space shuttle (and is now working on its liquid waste management solutions). The fact that he is a short man with a severely outdated and misguided sense of fashion, still lives with his mother, insists on using a collection of pickup lines straight from men's magazines advice columns - and yet carries himself as God's gift to women is just hilarious.
Best SEASON 3 moment: turning into Gothowitz by use of fake tattoo-sleeves to pick up "easy morbid Goth girls".

Rajesh Koothrappali is a particle astrophysicist with a fashion sense close to absolute zero and a severe case of shyness - to the point that he cannot speak in front of women unless inebriated. He keeps using the "poor Indian" defense although his father is a rich doctor who drives a Bentley.
Best SEASON 3 moment: wearing a T-shirt with a small speaker and a large selection of sound-effects, he uses it brilliantly to dramatize his answers. HOWARD: "But Sheldon, you ARE guilty". RAJEH: "[playing the Law & Order Doom-DOOM]!"

Finally, Penny. She is the proverbial good girl next door who came to California with stardom aspirations but so far works as waitress and suffers a sequence of bad boyfriends - and from her neighbors.
Best SEASON 3 moment: waiting at the hospital with Sheldon taking her medical history. "Migraines?" "Well, I'm getting one now!"

The show unavoidably makes use of previous sitcom combinations (the odd couple, the unfulfilled love-interest mismatch) but even if one manages to discern them they are used in such a fresh manner that all that is left is great entertainment!

The way to truly enjoy this is to own it on DVD. The writing is so smart and the jokes fly so fast (many of them non-verbal) there is just no way to savor it during its weekly air time. Well, may be Sheldon could but then again, who can compare his intellect with his?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
1717 comments| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2010
When I saw the premiere of this show, I laughed hysterically but thought, will it appeal to a broad audience? Clearly, it has. As time has gone on, the character development has been great, and the writing is consistently good. As a professional physicist, I am also intrigued by the accuracy of the science. I have recommended the show to many non-scientists, and most have become hooked. It is great to have the DVD with commercial-free episodes.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 11, 2010
I kept thinking that this show could not go on being funny, especially when Leonard and Penny finally began a real relationship. Surely it had jumped the shark at that point. But no, it is just as fresh and funny as it was at the beginning. I'm not much on rewatching shows for the most part, but I simply cannot tolerate commercials so I show my support by buying the DVDs. I can watch the shows at my leisure, when I want to, and I don't have to record and fast forward through the commercials. Highly recommended.
on May 30, 2010
I'm looking forward to getting the 3rd season on DVD. There still are some interesting places for the characters to go, so I'm curious as to how the writers will handle this. The series finale hinted at a possible romantic relationship for Sheldon, which should be interesting in several dimensions.

Now I think the writers need to give Penny more to do- we know she's from Nebraska and has a brother, but beyond that there's not much background. What's her last name? We've seen (or heard) the other characters' parents- what are Penny's parents like? It would be fun to see Penny finally get some modeling or acting work. If I were one of the show's writers, I would put together an episode or two where Penny gets a bit part in a low budget sci-fi movie, and the guys overwhelm her with suggestions on costume and lines and keeping the science real.

Anyway, TBBT is one of my favorite shows, and I'm hoping for a great 4th season.
on August 11, 2010
I have been a 30 Rock, The Office, and Modern Family fan for a while and thought nothing could top the trio of comedy. Then I watched an episode of the Big Bang Theory. I had heard almost nothing about the show and was not too hopeful for it. It was absolutely hilarious, witty, and enjoyable. It has definitely made the top of my list. With the DVD, now I can watch them all again.
on July 26, 2010
Great Character interaction, never a dull show! Anyone who has ever been a geek of any kind can relate to this show!
Contains one of the series most hilarious episodes ever "The Einstein Approximation" when Sheldon is stumped by a difficult physics question, and wont give up trying to solving the question. Sheldon tries to use spherical representations for the atoms in the question and ends up at ball pit in the middle of the night. And when Leonard tries to get him out of the ball pit, Sheldon keeps diving and swimming through the balls popping up saying "Bazinga!" while Leonard tries to catch him.
on August 25, 2011
I really happened on The Big Bang Theory on a whim...I was in a Costco and saw the first two seasons on DVD for $10 each and thought I'd give it a chance. So glad I did. The ultra-nerds are totally relatable for me, and the writing is so witty and well done I laugh my way through a season in a weekend. Season 3 ups the ante, further exploring Leonard's hopeless crush on Penny and bringing Sheldon's unintentionally rude commentary to a whole new level. I wish they would be a little quicker in bringing out the Blu-Rays, though. I feel like I've waited forever to see Season 4 in all its HD glory.
on May 25, 2016
I don't know what HAPPENED to my Season 3 set of BBT: there are THREE discs, the first two have EIGHT episodes, the last SEVEN plus some extras--at least according to the insert. MY SET has 4 episodes per disc: Disc 1 has #1-4 (no 5-8), Disc 2 has # 9-12 (no 13-16) and Disc 3 has #17-20 (no 21-23 + extras!) WHAT'S going on here? Has this happened to anybody else? I ordered the regular DVD, not a Blu Ray. The discs all have a printed logo on the front, and there are no spaces for at least 3 more discs! WHAT GIVES?
THE BIG BANG THEORY was a failed pilot until creators Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady re-wrote the script to take advantage of the chemistry between lead actors Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki. The series went on the air in 2007 and quickly became a national favorite. Most comedies traffic in stereotypes and this series is no different, centering on a group of socially inept geniuses who run afoul of the pretty but intellectually average girl who lives across the hall--but the fun of the series is in the way it undercuts the stereotypes, giving us glimpses of humor and humanity in unexpected and often laugh-out-loud ways.

Season Two ended with Sheldon (Jim Parsons), Leonard (Johnny Galecki), Howard (Simon Helberg) and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) conducting an experiement at the north pole for three months--and on their return Penny (Kaley Cuoco) pounces on Leonard. Their evolving relationship forms a running thread through Season Three, but it is not the only one. Somewhat against her will, Penny sets up hyper-sleazy Howard with her friend Bernadette (Melissa Rauch), and in the last episode of the season Howard and Raj trap Sheldon into a computer-arranged date with Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik.) Both Rauch and Bialik are wickedly funny and add tremendously to the fun. There are also guest appearances by Wil Wheaton as himself, Laurie Metcalf as Mrs. Cooper, and Christine Baranski as Dr. Beverly Hofstadter. All of the episodes are fun, but my own favorite is "The Adhesive Duck Deficiency." While the other men are on a camping trip that really trips, Penny slips in her shower and Sheldon is forced to dress her, drive her, and get her through Emergency Room hell. It's all tremendous fun.

GFT, Amazon Reviewer
on January 18, 2015
We have never been fans of sitcoms. This was recommended to us by a friend and to appease her, we watched an episode a couple years ago. After that, we became hooked and looked forward to watching it each night since several episodes run back-to-back each evening. We decided that we needed to own each of the seasons as they came out so we could see them in their intended order. The individual characters are lovable in their own way and I love the fact that they included a character with selective mutism. Our favorites are Sheldon and Bernadette (she is introduced in a later season), though the series would not be the same if any one of them was phased out of the series. The storyline continues to develop nicely and it hasn't reached the point of becoming stale any time soon. The series is geared toward a mature audience. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a well-developed group of quirky characters.